Chapala.com Webboard

Best Town for Tequila Visit?

Planning on a day trip with out of town guests to a tequila town.  We're looking for a cute town and can tolerate a bit of a tourist trap.  We don't want to spend a lot of money on a tour as they are not serious tequila tasters, but do enjoy it.   I have reviewed the post: "Tequila town what not to miss".  Any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, sanditoes said:

We don't want to spend a lot of money... Any other suggestions?

Go to the zoo. It is cheaper and closer. The tour I took at Heradura in Amititlan was 350p each and while somewhat interesting it is a tourist trap.

Las Arandas, in the Jalisco Altos Sud. Best tequila in the world. Find a bilingual tour guide, who can stay sober, and enjoy. If you are real lucky, you will be invited to an event sponsored by an El Patron, or La Patrona, and get tequila from the family cask, which may be hundreds of years old.

There is no "of course" about it, Arandas has 15 distilleries, and according to this blog, their raw materials are better and they are less tourist trap orientated. They are more about the craft and the culture. Inexpensive luxury bus ride from Guadalajara, modest priced hotels, restaurants and local taxis.

https://tequilatalk.wordpress.com/2007/03/04/arandas-vs-tequila-which-region-has-the-best-tequila/

The OP says they are not into tequila.. so why not go to the town of Tequila walk around  go to the fish restaurant near the plaza see a plant like Jose CUervo.. drive around the beautiful fields of blue agave and call it a day.. If you are not tequila drinkers  who cares who has the best tequila, the process to make distilled spirits  wether bad decent or great are similar  anyways..

Tequila is a pueblo magico  it is also not far from Magdalena where they mine opals so you could go there too if you run out of sight in Tequila. The country around there is beautiful..

2 hours ago, bmh said:

The OP says they are not into tequila.. so why not go to the town of Tequila walk around  go to the fish restaurant near the plaza see a plant like Jose CUervo.. drive around the beautiful fields of blue agave and call it a day.. If you are not tequila drinkers  who cares who has the best tequila, the process to make distilled spirits  wether bad decent or great are similar  anyways..

Tequila is a pueblo magico  it is also not far from Magdalena where they mine opals so you could go there too if you run out of sight in Tequila. The country around there is beautiful..

Good recommendation.  Going to Los Altos and Arandas is for aficionados.

Sanditoes & Kam - I recommend you contact Tequila International Trips - friends of mine...  They have the vehicle, contacts, all you need.  Fun is Guaranteed!  And the tequila is  actually quite delicious (and I don't drink hard liquors and have never liked tequila).

Call 331-944-7437 and ask for Randy or Kelli...

You will not be disappointed, nor will your guests!

And there will be no sour-faced "chupa limon" riding with you! 

Forgot the back side of their card:

"For lodging and concierge services, contact us at:

www.tequilainternationaltrips.com or info@tequilainternationaltrips.com"

Best vibes!

19 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Go to the zoo. It is cheaper and closer. The tour I took at Heradura in Amititlan was 350p each and while somewhat interesting it is a tourist trap.

I second the tour at Casa Herradura in Amititlan.  Especially riding the Tequila Express train there and back.  Although somewhat of a tourist trap, the live Mariachis on the train are worth every penny and the Hacienda is fascinating!  The only original Tequila Hacienda left that still manufactures their tequila on the premises.  Most of the other have moved their tequila processing to modern distilleries offsite.

I have to disagree with you CHILLIN in regard to the best tequila in the word.  Herradura Seleccion Suprema Extra Añejo is the finest hands down.  Costco sells it for $2500 pesos a jug, little cheaper at the Hacienda but much better than the US price of $450US bucks a bottle.  It hardly resembles tequila, so smooth and complex and drank with bites of half sliced oranges dusted with cinnamon between sipped, is heavenly!  The orange cleanses the palate between sips and is the perfect flavor combination with this tequila.  You will find much more expensive tequilas in jewel encrusted gold and silver decanters but the liquid inside does not compare.  Of course a large part is a matter of taste.  Seleccion Suprema has to be drank out of a Riedel snifter to maximize the experience.  God forbid that some ignoramus slam a shot of this with salt and lemon.  That's what you do with crap tequila that is unbearable to taste link your Cuervos and even Patrons in IMHO.  

7 hours ago, cedros said:

Tequila.

Tequilla should also be visited.  Delightful town with a couple other Hacienda tours including the Jose Cuervo facility.

Yes excellent tour in Tequila via Charter Tours. You see everything from harvesting to processing and then to tasting. A very nice town.

Archived