Chapala.com Webboard

Reports of lava near Lake Chapala could signify birth of a new volcano

I'm looking forward to a new volcanic mountain. It might even get high enough so that we could have a snowy mountain. I am surrounded by them when I am in Seattle and got to watch Mount St. Hellens, a stratovolcano,  erupt and kill many persons including Harry Truman.  At least this time we are better prepared and can watch it erupt via a video camera, rather than getting too close and risking anyone's  life.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, giltner68 said:

Wow, when I lived there I realized I was living the middle of a bunch of old cranky people who no longer get their way in the business world etc. and so are determined to be experts in something - ANYTHING! So, who cares is if a caldera or a rift, or a ditch or a giant pothole that's filled with water? - I mean really, what difference does it make that someone can scratch a mark on his computer screen as "THE WINNER"? Get real people, I knew it when I lived there, but looking back into the fishbowl is really - - - well, really pathetic.

I think if I were to return to MX I'd move to Acuna, I was there today and didn't see or hear a single crabby gringo determined to impose his opinion on anyone - it was refreshing, my kind of place, everyone smiled and was friendly.

Nice town, Acuna. Progresso also.

Sorry, I've only just seen this thread or I would have commented earlier. As some of the posters have pointed out, I have written extensively on this subject over the years and am therefore happy to share the following salient points:

• Lake Chapala is a lake. (There are many kinds of lake; just because it has one or more rivers flowing into it and out of it does not make it any less a lake)
  • The entire area is part of Mexico's Volcanic Axis. - http://geo-mexico.com/?p=6242
  • The various hot springs, mud volcanoes etc in the area are all phenomena associated with past volcanic activity.
  • There is an hypothesis (unproven, but quite likely) that Lake Chapala is a remnant of a once much larger lake.
  • The geological structure in which Lake Chapala resides is a graben, i.e. the structure involving two approximately parallel sets of faults with a downfaulted area between them. The surface morphology is a rift valley. see http://geo-mexico.com/?p=759
  • There are more than five calderas in Mexico, despite what wikipedia might have you believe. See http://geo-mexico.com/?p=9437 for clarification.
  • The nearest caldera to Lake Chapala is that occupied by the Primavera Forest, just west of Guadalajara. see http://geo-mexico.com/?p=9261
  • There is no evidence for 3 tectonic plates in the Chapala area. There are, however, three major rift valley structures which all meet close to Zacoalco, just west of the lake - see http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1189
  • The major event in San Juan Cosalá about a decade ago now was not a rock slide, it was a mudflow which is a very different type of mass movement.

For clarification of any of these points, please refer in the first instance to the various links in this post. In the event that you still have doubts or questions, then please don't hesitate to get in touch, either via this thread or by email [tonyburtonATuniserve.com]

Lastly, I should state that I don't appreciate the gratuitous snide remark from jrm30655 in reference to Geo Mexico and by implication in reference to myself. ["Maybe it is because they are illiterate or don't know about Google.  Those scientific papers do use 3 and 4 syllable words at times"} When I'm next in Ajijic, hopefully this October, perhaps, jrm30655, I can buy you a drink at La Nueva Posada and we can have an intelligent conversation about this?

Texans are often confused & are known to refer to reservoirs as lakes.

In Mexico, a presa is a reservoir, while a lago is a lake.

Lake Chapala is a lake, on its way to becoming a swamp; then, a meadow, and maybe eventually an airport.  ;)

9 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Yes, and a "stock pond" in the pasture is a "tank", in NE a tank is a galvanized metal tank? - so again I ask, what does it matter?

It's called precise communication, that's why.

maxresdefault.jpg

8 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Texans are often confused & are known to refer to reservoirs as lakes.

In Mexico, a presa is a reservoir, while a lago is a lake.

Lake Chapala is a lake, on its way to becoming a swamp; then, a meadow, and maybe eventually an airport.  ;)

Actually, RV, YOU have it incorrect. Texans do know the difference, and obviously YOU do not. Reservoir refers to any large area that stores water, whether it is a Natural Lake or a man-made lake. Just a General "catch all" term, not as specific as "Lake". Check it out, you never get too old to learn something new ! Get some cattle to go with that hat, and then you will become a wise old cowboy!. But, sadly, never a Texan.:D

Archived