Chapala.com Webboard

Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Available Lakeside?

egcallis

at walmart check the refrigerated cabinet between the UHT milk and the bakery; lots of gourmet type meats and cheeses. At Superlake go to the very back right hand side - between the deli counter and the freezers.

Talking fresh or grated-bagged? Quite a difference. Grated-bagged is not what we consider fresh. Fresh looks different and reacts differently to heat, and has an associated different flavour. So, egcallis, were you being specific?

12 hours ago, egcallis said:

El Sal, gracias.

NN, back case at  Walmart is where exactly? Going in the far right and back (Milk/Yogart Area)?

Exactly what Wide Sky said. Go in the store and turn right towards the bakery. Go to the far end of that refrigerated case. You will find many desirable items there.

Belgioso makes a decent fresh mozzarella.  I use it on pizza--photo below.  It makes a completely different pizza than the grated mozzarella Computer Guy mentioned.  I buy the grated kind for other uses.

Have any of you tried burrata--another kind of fresh mozzarella that Belgioso makes?  There's nothing quite as wonderful for a light meal as a bowl of cut-up ripe tomatoes doused with good olive oil and vinegar, with a ball of burrata on top.  Break the ball open with your fork and--mmmm.  I suspect that SL carries it, and I know Costco does.  

Pizza with Mozzarellax2FreshTomatoesSalami.jpg

6 hours ago, Miracle Worker said:

Where is Belgioso

Belgioso is a brand of cheese.  It's located in Wisconsin.  Some Belgioso cheeses are sold at Costco and at supermarkets in Guadalajara and other large Mexican cities.  I would imagine that Pancho carries the brand at SuperLake.
https://www.belgioioso.com/

I see goat cheese at Soriana. I tried some and it had a black coating of something. I think it is intentionally there, but have no clue about what I was eating. Try everything once I have been told.

1 hour ago, Don Anomino said:

Are any of these mozzarellas actually made from buffalo milk? Or, are they all cows' milk products?

Is there an equivalent or similar cheese made from other than cows' milk available in Mexico? Like a soft, chewy, meltable goat milk or sheep milk cheese?

Thanks,

Don

Yes there is, I have had Bufalo  in Vancouver - but even with a large Italian/Canadian population, it is only brought in around Christmas time. I believe someone in Wed. market sells goat milk products. There was/is a store in Ajijic that sold ice cream made from goat's milk. Lots of goats around here. If you feel like a drive, Jocotepec has a large and well stocked "Cremeria".

There are two locations at the Chapala mercado publico that I remember; one inside in the southwest corner, and one outside on the northeast corner, on Lopez Cotilla.  One or both may have what you want. We used to buy requesson and other such things there; always good yoghurt, too.

12 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I see goat cheese at Soriana. I tried some and it had a black coating of something. I think it is intentionally there, but have no clue about what I was eating. Try everything once I have been told.

That's a type of goat cheese coated with ash on the outside.  One eats the ash along with the cheese.

On July 11, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Don Anomino said:

Are any of these mozzarellas actually made from buffalo milk? Or, are they all cows' milk products?

I was making a caprese salad one time and I could almost swear I found a cheese labeled "buffalo mozarella" at Walmart. Whether or not it actually came from buffalo milk I have no idea but it worked well enough. The label of the cheese brand linked below looks vaguely familiar, and since that brand comes from the Los Altos area of Jalisco, it may have been the one. No idea if Walmart stocks it regularly.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-556880933-queso-mozzarella-asadero-panela-cajeta-adobera-fresco-chedar-_JM

Archived