Chapala.com Webboard

I have only taken my small dog with me in a bag that fitted under my seat. There was never a problem. This was back and forth every winter for several years maybe 16 years ago.The one thing you needed to be sure about is that you had all your dogs shots up to date and the correct paperwork showing their good health that was less than three days old. I am sure things have changed since then.

Are you asking about experience traveling with your pet by air or 'shipping ' your pet i.e. Pet traveling without you? I fly with my small dog in cargo several times a year with Volaris between Guad & JFK .  (last flight in May) . Very pleased. 

Since Pet travel Rules vary by airline, route, season, breed/size of animal etc &  can change suddenly I suggest you check your particular airlines rules carefully on their website rather than rely on someone else's past experience 

• 2 weeks later...

Flew on Volaris from Orlando, I had two cats ( belly of plane and one dog on plane), they were treated with great care. I did buy the best of the carriers for the cats, they each had a fan ( not battery operated - charged ) and I had the dog certified as emotional support ( CertaPet) it was so easy, so she got to sit on my lap. I know people might say I was wrong for certifying the dog, but too bad. There a fee but the paperwork was not questioned. At the airport, in Guadalajara, they inspected the pets ( looked in the carriers and petted my dog) ,my paperwork was so well prepared and in order that the experience was very quick and pleasant. 

Follow the rules not only that Mexico has but the airline. Make sure you follow the airline. 

In and out of Mexico I would not ship a pet as cargo due to where the pet arrives at the destination airport to go through customs and how long that delay may be.  However I have brought three dogs into Mexico over the years as checked baggage in the flight I was on as well as bringing a puppy back as carryon in a Sherpa bag for a Mexican family.  I've never had problems with the handling of the animals.  But check with your airlines as some (maybe United and American) ONLY transport pets as cargo, not checked baggage, if they are too large to be carried aboard.  Again that means they do not arrive with your baggage but rather at the cargo terminal to clear customs.   That can mean you have to go to a different terminal to get your pet and long delays in the animal being cleared and   I personally would never ship my dog that way.    And check seasonal restrictions, especially  during summer months.

I did my dog a few times.  The only regulation I know is the "cage" has to be roomy enough he can turn around.  Yes, many airlines won't accept animals as cargo.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:50 PM, Denise said:

Flew on Volaris from Orlando, I had two cats ( belly of plane and one dog on plane), they were treated with great care. I did buy the best of the carriers for the cats, they each had a fan ( not battery operated - charged ) and I had the dog certified as emotional support ( CertaPet) it was so easy, so she got to sit on my lap. I know people might say I was wrong for certifying the dog, but too bad. There a fee but the paperwork was not questioned. At the airport, in Guadalajara, they inspected the pets ( looked in the carriers and petted my dog) ,my paperwork was so well prepared and in order that the experience was very quick and pleasant. 

Follow the rules not only that Mexico has but the airline. Make sure you follow the airline. 

Where did you get the fan? I have a sherpa pet carrier. There isn't much room in there, but a fan is a great idea!

Archived