Chapala.com Webboard

Palé on carretera

jrod

A new restaurant, Palé, located on the carretera next to Sherwin Williams paints (lakeside, across from Las Salvias, a bit east of Perry's Pizza and Casa del Plomero, for west-siders' reference) has opened and is a lovely new spot to try.

It is small, with seating for about 20 or so, nicely appointed with light woods, linens and a/c, and is owned and managed by two young brothers from Murcia, Spain. They, and their restaurant venture here in Ajijic, are both delightful. The menu is small: a few pizzas, some appetizer and entrée salads, and the mains focus on fish and duck--I saw no chicken or beef entrées listed. Today for lunch three of us ordered two main courses of the duck breast with a blueberry sauce served with rosemary-scented rice and a pepperoni pizza, both of which were delicious. They have tablecloths on the table, light wood décor, and a variety of wines by the glass. The meal was not inexpensive but, hey, I ordered the duck, 2 wines, and a dessert for $400. One of my companions--a duck fiend--said it was the best duck she has ever had. A patron at another table had a duck salad, served with a parmesan "cup" on top of the duck. Another at our table very much enjoyed the pizza and took some home to enjoy for another meal. The hospitality, cleanliness, and quality of the food rank it up with some of our "higher-end"dining establishments.They are working on a Facebook page and currently open at 12:30 for lunch (although I'd go a bit later to give them a chance to get that oven up to temperature) and I do not recall which day they are closed.   We definitely are going back...just wanted to share the good news that Carlos and Máximo have a lovely new place to share with us. Please give them a try!

14 hours ago, miomama said:

The name is Palé, which as they explained to us means pallet in Spain and is the theme of their decor 

19 hours ago, jrod said:

nicely appointed with light woods

Worth a trip just to see how they pulled that off...

Went back to Palé today for lunch with a group to celebrate a birthday. Several of us ordered the duck breast, another had the duck salad, one choose the (white) fish entree with a garnish of clams and shrimp (my next must-try), a pepperoni pizza with pickled peppers (yes, I did the rhyme, too) and a pizza with prosciutto, arugula and shaved parmesan. All was well prepared and the wines were a healthy pour.

A few more observations since my last visit: they serve a variety of beer and wine but do not serve hard alcohol yet said my friend could bring his vodka if he liked. They are closed Mon-Tues-Weds, which means they are open Thurs-Sun from 12:30 pm.

We all very much enjoyed our meals; the service; and the convenient, lovely, and clean location on the carretera on the corner of Aquiles Serdán, just south of Sky Fitness and west of Vinos América.

I hope you will give them a try. They need traffic and publicity.

UPDATE: They've now added a beef filet to their main courses and, off menu, you can order gambas ajillo (Spanish-style garlic with shrimp) and special-order paella in advance.

Having tried the restaurant last night based on jrod's initial writeup and endorsement, I fully concur with his comments.  My dining companion and I both ordered the duck dishes -- she the duck fillet and I the duck breast.  Cooked rare at the server's suggestion, these were some of the most succulent pieces of protein I've ever tasted -- way more flavorful than any steak dish I've enjoyed in the area.

While the bill for our shared appetizer and dinner salad, 2 main duck courses, a shared dessert, a bottle of wine, and sparkling water came to a somewhat-whopping 860 pesos, exclusive of tip, I'd say the value was there based on the overall quality of food and dining experience.

The place stays open until 10 pm.  Make sure you bring cash, as credit cards are not currently accepted.

Tel:  3335706084

We are enjoying a meal here today.  To our surprise after reading these posts, we found that indeed there's beef on the menu!  Not only that but it is considered their signiture entre.  It is listed first under "Our chef's Specialties":. File mignon with duck foie. 245 pesos.  Since I have ordered this dish I will let you know my opinion.

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

We are enjoying a meal here today.  To our surprise after reading these posts, we found that indeed there's beef on the menu!  Not only that but it is considered their signiture entre.  It is listed first under "Our chef's Specialties":. File mignon with duck foie. 245 pesos.  Since I have ordered this dish I will let you know my opinion.

My husband nor I care for duck, what else is on the menu besides filet mignon?

Can some one show a menu?

The complimentary amuse bouches, as described by Carlos the waiter include: a watermelon-tomato gazpacho, a hot fried croquette with diced chicken, and a bruschetta with a garlicky cheese spread topped with a tomato coulis. And the menu, which has evolved since they opened:

596c353d04625_Pale.thumb.jpg.fe41145249fa8370d997f2553c0fa0c5.jpg

Our gazpacho was not watermelon/tomato ... however, I can not tell you what it was for sure but very tasty.  I would have recognized watermelon/tomato and would not have partaken :)  The beef filet and the duck were both extremely good.  They were both cooked to perfection the first time.  There was not a smithering of waste on the filet and it was very tender.  The last filet that we had elsewhere was so tough we gave it to the street dogs.

Archived