Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
chapala

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

Recommended Posts

Following through with a good infrastructure would make everyone's life a bit easier, or should I say more tolerable.   Please no more stores or fast food restaurants.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be happy if the streets and main roads weren't full of potholes that destroy small cars.

Some of the above answers are leaving me gobsmacked:  More lousy fast food restaurants like the U.S.?  What ARE those people thinking?  Why did they move here, anyway?

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'd be happy if the streets and main roads weren't full of potholes that destroy small cars.

Some of the above answers are leaving me gobsmacked:  More lousy fast food restaurants like the U.S.?  What ARE those people thinking?  Why did they move here, anyway?

Haha.....yeah that probably accounts for the 15 (and still counting) "likes" that Yo1's post has.  "Fewer gringos", ya think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoother well done roads that are well lit in areas such as the libramiento and the highway coming into Chapala from Ixtlauhacan.   

I watched them filling or refilling pot holes on the highway leaving Chapala last week.  Throwing down a grain sack and stomping on the asfalt with their foot.   Other Mexican cities have well engineered roads.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Haha.....yeah that probably accounts for the 15 (and still counting) "likes" that Yo1's post has.  "Fewer gringos", ya think?

The ultimate NIMBYISM, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gringal said:

The ultimate NIMBYISM, eh?

Or maybe that odd form of local snobbery here where some pride themselves on pretending they are no longer "gringos" and hence superior to same.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goes on everywhere. When Californians move to say Oregon, within a year or so they are bad mouthing Californians. Human nature.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2017 at 0:56 PM, chapala said:

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

(TO BE PRINTED ON THE OJO DEL LAGO)

Re DAIRY QUEEN ... So, you don't appreciate all those wonderful naturally infused flavours of raspados, paletas, nieves de garrafa? Casera, traditional and homemade? Using all the fruits, berries, and nuts available locally? Not in favour of supporting the local economy??? The 50 flavours of Michoacana Ice-cream not enough for you? Nor the local Romeo y Julieta, real Italian gelato? That would indeed be the blizzard to knock out the livelihood of hard-working families. If you really need it badly enough, I believe there are 3 locations in Guadalajara where your wish would be granted and with a population of 5 million to support the blizzard giant.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chapala highway from the libramiento to the La Barca cutoff is an embarrassment not to mention dangerous at night. No lights, no reflectors and no stripes to tell where the windy road is going. There's no median so half of the oncoming traffic with their brights on blind you. Not to mention all the potholes you can't avoid as you try not hitting anything or anyone and keep on the road at the same time.

The only difference in the highway of today and 14 years ago is more fences to keep the cows and horses from killing themselves and motorists.

The section from the La Barca cutoff to Guadalajara isn't much better but there are at least visible stripes and a few reflectors. The road is straighter too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading all this, most of you want the US.  It is 700 miles north of here.

If you want to pay US taxes and put up with the US laws, you can get all that stuff.

The easiest thing to do is just go back to the US.  Then you can have all those things.

Personally, I miss a lot of things about the US.  The high taxes, silly laws, constant surveillance, 28" of snow in the winter, high cost of living etc.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JRM30655,

I too am embarrassed by the comments, BUT, they were asked to make suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who ridicule people for some of their honest answers, and who think you should go back to Canada or the United States for wanting some of the things you had there, think back to the city you came from. Did you ridicule the Italian immigrants for all their stores in "Little Italy"? Or did you shop there sometimes for some of their great products? Did you ridicule the Chinese immigrants for what they had going on in "Chinatown"? Or did you go to their restaurants for some fantastic meals?   All the cities have areas where immigrants of a certain nationality like to spend time together. You probably understood that it is human nature to want to be with people who speak your language, and to buy products in stores that suit your way of cooking, etc. There's comfort and familiarity in that, and there is nothing wrong with craving things you enjoyed in your home country. Why can't you see that it is the same for people who have immigrated to Mexico to want to eat certain foods, and buy certain things they grew up with? That doesn't mean that they're not enjoying their life in Mexico, and that they should go back. It means they are human and they feel comfort from certain things they grew up with, that's all. There is nothing wrong with that. Let me tell you who else wants many things from the U.S.  Rich Mexicans.  Take a look around in Superlake and you will see Mexicans who can afford it in there buying all those imported products at high prices. Take a look around in Guadalajara and you will see many American stores and chain restaurants, and who do you think they opened those for?  The foreigners from Lake Chapala?  No.  It turns out that Mexicans like that stuff too, if they can afford it.  MaineCoons had a good point above, I must say.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good post, Gimpy.

Yes, our immigrant ancestors wanted some things they missed from the "old country" and who could blame them?  Today we enjoy those great dishes they re-created in the new country. 

BUT BUT............JUNK FOOD?????

As I said:  Beyond me and gobsmacked.:lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gringal said:

Good post, Gimpy.

Yes, our immigrant ancestors wanted some things they missed from the "old country" and who could blame them?  Today we enjoy those great dishes they re-created in the new country. 

BUT BUT............JUNK FOOD?????

As I said:  Beyond me and gobsmacked.:lol:

Ha Ha, I know, but some people really enjoy junk food.  There are lots of places to get good burgers here now, unlike when I moved here, but I still love the taste of a Papa Burger!  What can I say?  It has its own certain flavor and I would love to have one. :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gimpychimp said:

For those who ridicule people for some of their honest answers, and who think you should go back to Canada or the United States for wanting some of the things you had there, think back to the city you came from. Did you ridicule the Italian immigrants for all their stores in "Little Italy"? Or did you shop there sometimes for some of their great products? Did you ridicule the Chinese immigrants for what they had going on in "Chinatown"? Or did you go to their restaurants for some fantastic meals?   All the cities have areas where immigrants of a certain nationality like to spend time together. You probably understood that it is human nature to want to be with people who speak your language, and to buy products in stores that suit your way of cooking, etc. There's comfort and familiarity in that, and there is nothing wrong with craving things you enjoyed in your home country. Why can't you see that it is the same for people who have immigrated to Mexico to want to eat certain foods, and buy certain things they grew up with? That doesn't mean that they're not enjoying their life in Mexico, and that they should go back. It means they are human and they feel comfort from certain things they grew up with, that's all. There is nothing wrong with that. Let me tell you who else wants many things from the U.S.  Rich Mexicans.  Take a look around in Superlake and you will see Mexicans who can afford it in there buying all those imported products at high prices. Take a look around in Guadalajara and you will see many American stores and chain restaurants, and who do you think they opened those for?  The foreigners from Lake Chapala?  No.  It turns out that Mexicans like that stuff too, if they can afford it.  MaineCoons had a good point above, I must say.

Actually, gimp, those are Not the Rich Mexicans. They are just the average middle class Mexicans, more like us. We visit friends in Leon, Gto. regularly and when we are treated out to a burger, almost always the fast food places are full of the middle class Mexicans. People seem to think there are only poor and rich Mexicans, but there is a large and growing middle class like many of us from NOB. BTW, they do not buy their food at the Tianguis nor at the Mercados, but at major grocery stores. Rich Mexicans are a completely different breed. They are Extremely wealthy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bournemouth said:

But a Trader Joe's store would be great.

I can't believe it took this long!!! :lol:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Actually, gimp, those are Not the Rich Mexicans. They are just the average middle class Mexicans, more like us. We visit friends in Leon, Gto. regularly and when we are treated out to a burger, almost always the fast food places are full of the middle class Mexicans. People seem to think there are only poor and rich Mexicans, but there is a large and growing middle class like many of us from NOB. BTW, they do not buy their food at the Tianguis nor at the Mercados, but at major grocery stores. Rich Mexicans are a completely different breed. They are Extremely wealthy.

I agree.  I only meant rich in comparison to most of the poor Mexicans in the villages. There is a growing middle class, absolutely.  The rich Mexicans don't go to P.F. Chang's in Guadalajara.  They go to the P.F. Chang's in Houston, or Sacramento, or Las Vegas, among other much more expensive restaurants in other countries.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to have a Closer Costco, McDonalds ( though Trips Burgers is a close second) and or a Mega, as Walmart really falls short on mega ( grocery and such)  stores. 

Not needed but nice...since it has changed so much as it is, may as well request the things I travel to Guadalajara for..

A real hospital ( full service ) would be incredible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrong gimpy the rich Mexicans go to Carthagena for the week-end and to have a nice lunch with friends..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well..I am pretty sure the OP. Probably received more information that they thought they would get.  It really is getting repetitive .though. .. we get it....from shopping , restaurants to infrastructures .. all needs improvements depending on who is commenting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...