Chapala.com Webboard

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

I'd be happy if the streets and main roads weren't full of potholes that destroy small cars.

Some of the above answers are leaving me gobsmacked:  More lousy fast food restaurants like the U.S.?  What ARE those people thinking?  Why did they move here, anyway?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'd be happy if the streets and main roads weren't full of potholes that destroy small cars.

Some of the above answers are leaving me gobsmacked:  More lousy fast food restaurants like the U.S.?  What ARE those people thinking?  Why did they move here, anyway?

Haha.....yeah that probably accounts for the 15 (and still counting) "likes" that Yo1's post has.  "Fewer gringos", ya think?

Smoother well done roads that are well lit in areas such as the libramiento and the highway coming into Chapala from Ixtlauhacan.   

I watched them filling or refilling pot holes on the highway leaving Chapala last week.  Throwing down a grain sack and stomping on the asfalt with their foot.   Other Mexican cities have well engineered roads.  

Goes on everywhere. When Californians move to say Oregon, within a year or so they are bad mouthing Californians. Human nature.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:56 PM, chapala said:

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

(TO BE PRINTED ON THE OJO DEL LAGO)

Re DAIRY QUEEN ... So, you don't appreciate all those wonderful naturally infused flavours of raspados, paletas, nieves de garrafa? Casera, traditional and homemade? Using all the fruits, berries, and nuts available locally? Not in favour of supporting the local economy??? The 50 flavours of Michoacana Ice-cream not enough for you? Nor the local Romeo y Julieta, real Italian gelato? That would indeed be the blizzard to knock out the livelihood of hard-working families. If you really need it badly enough, I believe there are 3 locations in Guadalajara where your wish would be granted and with a population of 5 million to support the blizzard giant.

The Chapala highway from the libramiento to the La Barca cutoff is an embarrassment not to mention dangerous at night. No lights, no reflectors and no stripes to tell where the windy road is going. There's no median so half of the oncoming traffic with their brights on blind you. Not to mention all the potholes you can't avoid as you try not hitting anything or anyone and keep on the road at the same time.

The only difference in the highway of today and 14 years ago is more fences to keep the cows and horses from killing themselves and motorists.

The section from the La Barca cutoff to Guadalajara isn't much better but there are at least visible stripes and a few reflectors. The road is straighter too.

Reading all this, most of you want the US.  It is 700 miles north of here.

If you want to pay US taxes and put up with the US laws, you can get all that stuff.

The easiest thing to do is just go back to the US.  Then you can have all those things.

Personally, I miss a lot of things about the US.  The high taxes, silly laws, constant surveillance, 28" of snow in the winter, high cost of living etc.

For those who ridicule people for some of their honest answers, and who think you should go back to Canada or the United States for wanting some of the things you had there, think back to the city you came from. Did you ridicule the Italian immigrants for all their stores in "Little Italy"? Or did you shop there sometimes for some of their great products? Did you ridicule the Chinese immigrants for what they had going on in "Chinatown"? Or did you go to their restaurants for some fantastic meals?   All the cities have areas where immigrants of a certain nationality like to spend time together. You probably understood that it is human nature to want to be with people who speak your language, and to buy products in stores that suit your way of cooking, etc. There's comfort and familiarity in that, and there is nothing wrong with craving things you enjoyed in your home country. Why can't you see that it is the same for people who have immigrated to Mexico to want to eat certain foods, and buy certain things they grew up with? That doesn't mean that they're not enjoying their life in Mexico, and that they should go back. It means they are human and they feel comfort from certain things they grew up with, that's all. There is nothing wrong with that. Let me tell you who else wants many things from the U.S.  Rich Mexicans.  Take a look around in Superlake and you will see Mexicans who can afford it in there buying all those imported products at high prices. Take a look around in Guadalajara and you will see many American stores and chain restaurants, and who do you think they opened those for?  The foreigners from Lake Chapala?  No.  It turns out that Mexicans like that stuff too, if they can afford it.  MaineCoons had a good point above, I must say.

Good post, Gimpy.

Yes, our immigrant ancestors wanted some things they missed from the "old country" and who could blame them?  Today we enjoy those great dishes they re-created in the new country. 

BUT BUT............JUNK FOOD?????

As I said:  Beyond me and gobsmacked.:lol:

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

Good post, Gimpy.

Yes, our immigrant ancestors wanted some things they missed from the "old country" and who could blame them?  Today we enjoy those great dishes they re-created in the new country. 

BUT BUT............JUNK FOOD?????

As I said:  Beyond me and gobsmacked.:lol:

Ha Ha, I know, but some people really enjoy junk food.  There are lots of places to get good burgers here now, unlike when I moved here, but I still love the taste of a Papa Burger!  What can I say?  It has its own certain flavor and I would love to have one. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, gimpychimp said:

For those who ridicule people for some of their honest answers, and who think you should go back to Canada or the United States for wanting some of the things you had there, think back to the city you came from. Did you ridicule the Italian immigrants for all their stores in "Little Italy"? Or did you shop there sometimes for some of their great products? Did you ridicule the Chinese immigrants for what they had going on in "Chinatown"? Or did you go to their restaurants for some fantastic meals?   All the cities have areas where immigrants of a certain nationality like to spend time together. You probably understood that it is human nature to want to be with people who speak your language, and to buy products in stores that suit your way of cooking, etc. There's comfort and familiarity in that, and there is nothing wrong with craving things you enjoyed in your home country. Why can't you see that it is the same for people who have immigrated to Mexico to want to eat certain foods, and buy certain things they grew up with? That doesn't mean that they're not enjoying their life in Mexico, and that they should go back. It means they are human and they feel comfort from certain things they grew up with, that's all. There is nothing wrong with that. Let me tell you who else wants many things from the U.S.  Rich Mexicans.  Take a look around in Superlake and you will see Mexicans who can afford it in there buying all those imported products at high prices. Take a look around in Guadalajara and you will see many American stores and chain restaurants, and who do you think they opened those for?  The foreigners from Lake Chapala?  No.  It turns out that Mexicans like that stuff too, if they can afford it.  MaineCoons had a good point above, I must say.

Actually, gimp, those are Not the Rich Mexicans. They are just the average middle class Mexicans, more like us. We visit friends in Leon, Gto. regularly and when we are treated out to a burger, almost always the fast food places are full of the middle class Mexicans. People seem to think there are only poor and rich Mexicans, but there is a large and growing middle class like many of us from NOB. BTW, they do not buy their food at the Tianguis nor at the Mercados, but at major grocery stores. Rich Mexicans are a completely different breed. They are Extremely wealthy.

46 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Actually, gimp, those are Not the Rich Mexicans. They are just the average middle class Mexicans, more like us. We visit friends in Leon, Gto. regularly and when we are treated out to a burger, almost always the fast food places are full of the middle class Mexicans. People seem to think there are only poor and rich Mexicans, but there is a large and growing middle class like many of us from NOB. BTW, they do not buy their food at the Tianguis nor at the Mercados, but at major grocery stores. Rich Mexicans are a completely different breed. They are Extremely wealthy.

I agree.  I only meant rich in comparison to most of the poor Mexicans in the villages. There is a growing middle class, absolutely.  The rich Mexicans don't go to P.F. Chang's in Guadalajara.  They go to the P.F. Chang's in Houston, or Sacramento, or Las Vegas, among other much more expensive restaurants in other countries.

It would be nice to have a Closer Costco, McDonalds ( though Trips Burgers is a close second) and or a Mega, as Walmart really falls short on mega ( grocery and such)  stores. 

Not needed but nice...since it has changed so much as it is, may as well request the things I travel to Guadalajara for..

A real hospital ( full service ) would be incredible. 

On 7/8/2017 at 2:11 PM, RCman said:

I think proper sidewalks along the south side of the Carretera from Gossips to Colon would make shopping along that section much easier. After all it the main business area and it undoubtedly the worst section of sidewalks in the whole village.  I can't even tell you what shops etc are along there other than an old favorite Brunos's restaurant.

Totally agree .  I am always looking down to make sure I don't sprain my foot or ankle by walking in a hole because of  the uneven sidewalks.   

Archived