Chapala.com Webboard

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think proper sidewalks along the south side of the Carretera from Gossips to Colon would make shopping along that section much easier. After all it the main business area and it undoubtedly the worst section of sidewalks in the whole village.  I can't even tell you what shops etc are along there other than an old favorite Brunos's restaurant.

A good shoe store that sells brands like Ecco. My feet need an arch support and a heel cup. I can't even get good shoe laces here for the shoes I have, all of which come from NOB. Alas, I am getting too old to go NOB to buy shoes! There are a couple or three good shoe stores in Guadalajara, but they seldom have the right size in stock, so it is useless to go there.

I don't think that is an appropriate comment. The question was what gringos would like to have available locally. I have been here 12 years, and I am realizing that my ability to go back to the US or Canada or England and SHOP is going to be limited in future, due to age and health concerns, which if not applicable now, soon will be. There ARE a few things that I cannot obtain here, and which I need, as noted earlier. I think the focus of this inquiry is what stores could establish a branch here and find enthusiastic gringo customers. I would be an enthusiastic customer of a good shoe store, as I noted in my post.

Restoration of the services we used to have in Ajijic such as reliable trash pickup, consistent street repair, municipal workers that sweep up trash in the main tourist areas like along the carretera and the streets radiating off the plaza.

Repair of that cratered wreck named Chapala highway.

Mail in a timely manner. We get mail here in west Ajijic once or twice a month. CFE and TelMex bills seem to get the attention of the Post Office, so they come around and deliver whatever has accumulated. Remember Christmas cards?--a few years ago, when people still sent Christmas cards, we used to have a sort of contest as to who received the latest Christmas card from the frozen north--it was always March something or other. Now no one sends Christmas cards by mail, so that "competition" is gone. And of course, since all of us correspond online, mail is not a big deal any more, anywhere, with rare exceptions.

I agree more with Mainecoons.  If our infrastructure was better maintained, I would be happy.  To be honest, I hate to see this area become a series of store malls.  Guadalajara has most of what we really need and is closer than a flight to the states.  just my opinion.

Fiber internet (it may actually bring younger people to the area that work remotely) 

Better roads and sidewalks and a government that has some pride in their work providing public services.

Ajijic despite being more expensive and desirable to live looks like it has bombs of garbage and dust blasted in it. The Chapala/guadalajara highway is much worse. 

32 minutes ago, Crazydog said:

Fiber internet (it may actually bring younger people to the area that work remotely) 

Better roads and sidewalks and a government that has some pride in their work providing public services.

Ajijic despite being more expensive and desirable to live looks like it has bombs of garbage and dust blasted in it. The Chapala/guadalajara highway is much worse. 

I second that !!!

What I want is better sidewalks (and I live in Chapala), better infrastructure, all public works to be finished por completo, not half ### finished like what we are facing now.  I would love the govt to continue with the adoquinamiento of the main streets of Chapala which is the continuation of the placement of the smooth pavement stones down like what was done behind the plaza, slowly starting with all the main streets.  Better trash pick up.  And a focus on environmental issues with reforesting and re flowering of the area.  The Chapala area should be a tropical green garden area, full of green spaces.  The Chapala malecon has seen some improvement in certain areas in these past few years, but all the beautiful flowers and plants have been removed.  The Chapala Malecon needs a lot of work to make it beautiful again.  Starting with returning all the flowers and tropical plants.

A better mail system it takes months to get mail from Canada there was a time a few years back when the mail arrived in a few weeks now it is closer to 4 months.

I was told Canadian mail is cleared in Mexico city which accounts for the delay.

My beefs are with the municipio.

fix the sidewalks.  Charge people who don't maintain their sidewalks, who allow trash to accumulate in vacant lots or who otherwise ignore the bylaws..  Quit adding new stuff till you keep the old in repair. 

And please let there be some place to buy Tetley orange pekoe tea.

Definitely trash pickup at least weekly. Some of the piles of trash and green trimmings that people on north/south streets carry to the corner haven't peen picked up in months and weekly would be a big improvement.

Water pressure constantly so filth can't get sucked back into the line and supply. When the pressure goes off all the leaks siphon back in with the contaminants.

Faster internet that stays on not off 30 minutes and on 10 minutes. Younger people always consider access to world class internet when deciding to move abroad.

Law enforcement would help as well. Bust the old fools who put buckets in front of their house to block parking. It violates Jalisco traffic law and should be enforced. Also if they arrested and fined those who paint their own curb yellow we would the yellow was official and perhaps more motorist would decide not to park there. You don't do it iin the USA or Canada because you know it is OFFICIAL and will be enforced.  

Enforce traffic laws and that goes double for the motorcyclist sharing your lane. They are supposed to have a lane of their own and are not allowed to ride beside you to pass or travel. They can legally only pass in the oncoming lane when there is a broken line in the center, you know like autos.

Archived