Chapala.com Webboard

Frida

FlyFree

A friend and I went for lunch to "Frida" located in Jocotopec. 

We waited for an hour and a half for our food, at which time, I asked a waiter how much longer will it take. Oh, another 10 minutes. 10 minutes go by, so I ask someone else how much longer it was going to be. He indentified himself as the owner and could not say how long. I pointed out to him that customers at other tables, who had arrived after us had been served.

Needless to say, we left without eating and will not be returning.

This is a cafe that serves salads and sandwiches not a five star restaurant. How long can it take to make a sandwich?

Today a friend and I went to the new location of Frida's.  We got there about 1:20 to have lunch.  Including us there were 7 tables occupied with 2 to 6 people.  Most were two or three.people.We were told it would be about 20 minutes until we would get our food.  No problem with that. The menu is mostly sandwiches and salads with a few other items on the menu that needed to be cooked or heated such as a side of potatoes or soup.An hour and 1/2 later we still had no food and none in sight.  When we asked the owner when we could expect our food he said he didn't know.  He said they were just starting a couple of sandwiches.

A couple who ordered just ahead of us had just gotten their sandwiches and when asked if it was worth the wait they said no and that they would never return.Since we were now quite hungry and with no end in sight we decided to leave.  We told the owner we could wait no longer.  He apologized and told us everyone had come in about the same time.  That time would have been about 1:00. lunch time.  Surprise!  Considering this was not a new restaurant, just one that had relocated, the owner should have known better

We left and went to Viva Mexico and as my lunch partner said, Frida's owner did us a favor.  We had a delicious meal.

28 minutes ago, Metuchenmama said:

Today a friend and I went to the new location of Frida's.  We got there about 1:20 to have lunch.  Including us there were 7 tables occupied with 2 to 6 people.  Most were two or three.people.We were told it would be about 20 minutes until we would get our food.  No problem with that. The menu is mostly sandwiches and salads with a few other items on the menu that needed to be cooked or heated such as a side of potatoes or soup.An hour and 1/2 later we still had no food and none in sight.  When we asked the owner when we could expect our food he said he didn't know.  He said they were just starting a couple of sandwiches.

A couple who ordered just ahead of us had just gotten their sandwiches and when asked if it was worth the wait they said no and that they would never return.Since we were now quite hungry and with no end in sight we decided to leave.  We told the owner we could wait no longer.  He apologized and told us everyone had come in about the same time.  That time would have been about 1:00. lunch time.  Surprise!  Considering this was not a new restaurant, just one that had relocated, the owner should have known better

We left and went to Viva Mexico and as my lunch partner said, Frida's owner did us a favor.  We had a delicious meal.

Please give them a chance.  Their food at the old location was excellent they are just suffering growing pains.  Go back next month and see if things have changed.  Best salads and BLT in the area

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Racism? 

I really don't get the question. I can't make the connection from what poster said to any possible racism. Weird. And so is your later "I don't give a flip" remark. Feeling surly today?

Lexy

I had eaten at his old place and it was good, but the way we were treated or not treated was really not conducive to giving them another chance.  I don't have to travel a distance from Ajijic to go to a restaurant that will give me an enjoyable lunch experience sharing good food with a friend.

We go to joco to buy roses from vivero at edge of town near this restaurant, so we stopped in, I took them 30 minutes to bring our cocoa lights, and still did not take our food order, another half hour finally came to take order, the table next to us were leaving after waiting too long for food, so we asked waiter when our food would be coming, he said he would check and after another half hour we paid for cokes and left and also went to Viva Mexico for a fabulous late lunch with killer Margaritas, so Fridas will never see us again after our experience and the other bad reviews

17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

A "question" like that is purely rhetorical, and serves only to troll. And we all know it.

I deleted these three rather long paragraphs as they do not apply to Fridas

Mod 5

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

I hope the moderator will read this thread, and take the appropriate action with a certain person who is being combative and snarky with everyone else.

Angus this is one of the moderators I enjoy your posts, but please lighten up a bit.  Thanks Mod5

Moderator5 the poster has commandeered this topic and is not funny or informative, just a nuisance who is enjoying attention by trolling with remarks that have nothing to do with the original posting.  PLEASE erase his interjections and let the original topic continue.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mod 5

On 2017-07-08 at 0:32 PM, cedros said:

Where is the new location for Frida?

Yes I want to know this too. I doubt the owner reads this thread but there is nothing online about his new location or even him moving. The trip advisor page still has the same old one. 

The new location is at the El Pescador Hotel on your right about 100m past the first Pemex on the east side of Jocotepec if driving from Chapala.  I think the day this event mentioned in this thread occurred was when a large group of ladies from Ajijic arrived together without any prior notice, a phone call would have been nice so the owner could prepare for the swarm.  I was leaving the parking lot when the wagon train rolled in.

I am not the owner, just a satisfied customer who has eaten there for 5 years and never had a bad meal.  Personally I do not mind much a delay in the preparation of a good meal.  I do however find it annoying when I eat at Ajijic Tengo and the meseras are cleaning my table off in 15 minutes while I still have a fork in my hand and a full glass of wine.  But, it´s there business so whatever.

I was someone who waited for 1/12 hours and finally left after no food was presented.  There was no group of women coming in together the day I was there .  I knew almost everyone in that restaurant the day I went and there was no connection between any of the tables except for a few people  who knew one or two people other than those they were sitting with.

Art Snob who has also written of waiting and leaving with no food presented was not there the same day I was.  I know him.

Obviously the day I was there was not an isolated incident.

Thanks Kiko. I have been thinking of trying the restaurant at the hotel now I will. It has a nice setting. Frida was pretty good when they were in Joco.

Successfull local restaurants around this area have one thing in common: whether they are rushed, mostly empty or whatever the situation is, they all bring something to eat to your table shortly after the you sit.  This could be hot rolls, chips, bread..........anything to still the savage beast.  Makes all the difference in the attitude of the hungry customer.

However, based on the reviews here, it looks like this place is either understaffed or just plain disorganized.  No good reason for that long a wait.

Archived