Chapala.com Webboard

Car Insurance Recommendations?

I will be driving from the U.S. to Chapala/Ajijic in a couple of weeks and will need to purchase Mexican car insurance.  The rates vary quite a bit for similar coverage - from about $350 (U.S) to $500 for six months of coverage, but I can find no information on the companies themselves and how likely they are to actually pay a claim.

Do any of you have a company you've had good experiences with and would recommend?

Get a temp policy from someone like Sanborn's to cover you as you drive down. Once here, go to Parker and get a permanent policy. I recommend them as we had a serious claim (car totaled) and the claim was promptly settled. 

I think you can get temp insurance before you cross the border.  Recommend Bellon agency here.  Best customer service 24/7.  If you have a car insurance issue, you call them FIRST.  They make the arrangements for the adjuster to come to the site.

That's how we did it when we drove down to stay back in 2012. It was with Parker Insurance. We had communicated via email and then we just went in and paid our annual premium the day after we arrived Lakeside.

23 hours ago, tazman said:

I will be driving from the U.S. to Chapala/Ajijic in a couple of weeks and will need to purchase Mexican car insurance.  The rates vary quite a bit for similar coverage - from about $350 (U.S) to $500 for six months of coverage, but I can find no information on the companies themselves and how likely they are to actually pay a claim.

Do any of you have a company you've had good experiences with and would recommend?

I'm assuming that your driving a US plated vehicle. I have used Lewis and Lewis.

Speaking of cost.    

I have been with Parker for 14 years.  I just bought a new car and went in to convert the old policy to the new car.  Last December the policy for my old car cost $13,076.31 with HDI.   Now with a newer, more expensive car and same exact insurance the annual premium is $10,269.06            The base price was actually $8000 + something but came to the quoted price with my specific insurance requests.  Of course I was incredulous because insurance never goes down.  I kept questioning her and all she could say was the cost came down.

Archived