Chapala.com Webboard

Rainy season

Perhaps the rainy season is supposed to end then BUT, we can get heavy rains later than mid-Occtober. Check Chapalaweather.net for the monthly rainfall summaries - you can drill down for day to day rainfall too. I seem to recall that most of the rain in October for the last 2 years occurred after the 15th.

They seem to be having trouble with the rain guage on the Chapala weather net site.  Showing only six tenths of an inch of rain overnight, it was far heavier than that here in SE Ajijic and a moto buddy from Chapala just sent me an email saying today's ride is off because they had nearly 3 inches there.  I may have to pump my pool today because it is so full.  I can't believe so little rain fell in Riberas.

MC, you can't "lose" rain, the rain gauge mechanism is basically fail safe. It's a cone that's probably 6" deep with a small hole at the bottom. The water trickles down through that hole onto the tipping cups which fill and dump, each time they fill and dump it registers .01". If you completely plugged the "drain" hole all the water collected would just sit there in the cone, it has no where else to go, you can't "lose" it. If you let it set there it would eventually begin to evaporate, but that would take days. When mine gets plugged by the mocking birds I notice because the rain has stopped and yet an hour later a tiny amount of water is still trickling down past the blockage and registering. The total is ultimately correct, the time line is not. But, the rain gauge doesn't "lose" any rain,

Riberas simply doesn't get as much, it's pretty much always been that way. Some of you old timers may remember "John" the expert on everything, a cell dumped 4" over near the W side of Ajijic, we got very little and he went ballistic, I said fine and shut down the station and told him to get one and create a web site and put it on line, of course we had a good time poking at him, but these discussions are nothing new.

Giltner. As you describe your "mockingbird" scenario is exactly what happened with the chapalaweather.net station today.

At 6:00 a.m., the station reported .05 inches total, while another station in Riberas was reporting 2.01 inches.

The station continued to add rainfall for the next 6 hours, in increments of .01 until it reported a total of .19 at 

12:00 noon. Between noon and 12:30, an additional inch was added to your total, bringing it up to the 1.15 you are

reporting now.  I can post the chapalaweather.net station values for every 10 minutes for the entire day, if you wish.

The expert of all experts  John-in-Ajijic was a character and although I have only talked to him in person a few times many years ago when I volunteered at Lagunanet. I loved giving him a good or bad time on line. What I remember most about him besides the many lists he made about who was best at plumbing and everything else, was when he tried to sell his house,

He had such a exaggerated story about his wonderfully wonderful house that he first offered it for sale on line at a twice what it finally sold for.

There was a palm seed in the funnel. So, you carefully take down the cone, pour the contents in a pan, remove the seed and replace the cone and then pour the water back into the cone. The amount is accurate, the time obviously isn't. Why would you imagine that I don't have that data?

Archived