Chapala.com Webboard

Strange phone call

Recieved phone call.  With my limited spanish what I understood was  that he was calling from Telmex and wanted to give me a new emergency number that would work for CFE as well.  I proceded with caution & gave out no personal info.   The number he gave is 1 800 462 4636.  Has anyone else received a similar call &  what is it all about.

I got an email last night from TelMex saying that I would be charged $49.50 per month on my bill from now on for a new service - "Inbursa" which I had never heard of and certainly don't want. I called the number in the email - the same one the OP posted - and got a recording listing 3 options in Spanish. This is not a TelMex number but was listed in the email as whom to call if I didn't request this service.  I decided to just pop into Telmex today to get it removed from my bill ..... seems like it's a big campaign and we should all check our bills next month. 

Telmex is trying or did sign you up for something. Bancomer several times signed my wife up for life insurance when they called and she said no thanks. If you don´t straighten it out you will be billed every month for services you did not request. The people making the sales pitch by phone where probably the ones doing this dirty trick = commssion on their paycheck. I guess some people never check their bank statements and they know this.

23 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Telmex is trying or did sign you up for something. Bancomer several times signed my wife up for life insurance when they called and she said no thanks. If you don´t straighten it out you will be billed every month for services you did not request. The people making the sales pitch by phone where probably the ones doing this dirty trick = commssion on their paycheck. I guess some people never check their bank statements and they know this.

Thank you.  I will look at my next bill.

1 hour ago, bontepar said:

You will get a 39 pesos charge next month for SEGURO!!!! go and complain they will reimburse you

I just went into TelMex and the charge is $49.50. They can't stop it - I have to call the # myself to do that  - but they will reimburse me when/if it shows on my bill next month. 

Yes, when it hit my Telmex $389 package telephone, DSL bill it was thirty something, perhaps $36 or $39 pesos. I don't remember. What I do remember is that I might have not noticed this additional charge had I not read about it on the Chapala Forum.

So this is just another reason to read this forum.

It's odd you are charged for "insurance" when there is no policy and you have not approved it.  Like how do you collect "insurance" when there is no policy.  That would be like have a car accident and collecting "insurance" and not having a policy.  I think that would be great !

It's not a scam - they are offering a service and they sent me an email telling me I was going to get it unless I called and declined the offer ..... this was happening in Canada many years ago until they changed the law - I think it's called negative option billing or something. In Canada now, you have to opt in and they no longer can make offers that stick unless you opt out.  I think it's legal in Mexico to make it opt out, rather than opt in, though. 

Archived