Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for chairs

My 30 year-old leather living room set is starting to look it's age.  (OK, a series of puppies didn't help.)  I want to replace it with just two large leather fireside chairs with high backs.  The kind you see in old libraries.  The guys in San Antonio will make me some, but my husband doesn't want to commit to a chair he's never sat in.

Thinking about a research trip to Guadalajara but it seems like most of the stores there carry only contemporary styles.  Does anyone know of a more traditional store?  I want quality (don't do this very often) and don't mind waiting for the right thing.

Yes, I've combed all the consignment stores here.....nada.

9 hours ago, gwynne said:

My 30 year-old leather living room set is starting to look it's age.  (OK, a series of puppies didn't help.)  I want to replace it with just two large leather fireside chairs with high backs.  The kind you see in old libraries.  The guys in San Antonio will make me some, but my husband doesn't want to commit to a chair he's never sat in.

Thinking about a research trip to Guadalajara but it seems like most of the stores there carry only contemporary styles.  Does anyone know of a more traditional store?  I want quality (don't do this very often) and don't mind waiting for the right thing.

Yes, I've combed all the consignment stores here.....nada.

Here's a thought, and your husband can sit in it to try it out. (I wouldn't buy an "investment chair" without sitting in it first, either.) The furniture store in the strip mall near Sunrise Cafe has some very, very comfortable leather "adjustable" (laz e boy type) chairs.  My friend bought one when when she was feeling poorly and it was quite attractive, rather than clunky. Might check this out.

I've bought quite a few pieces of Mexican made furniture in the last dozen years and have been happy with it.  Solid wood, no fake finishes and nicely designed.  However, I have never found a comfortable chair I'd want to sit in more than a half hour. There are some comfortable wooden rockers, but not exactly living room decor. Why, in a country full of skilled craftsmen, this is so.....who knows?  The contemporary furniture being sold in high end stores seems to be designed for looks rather than comfort, or maybe it's to keep your guests from hanging out too long?  :rolleyes: 

We hit a great number of the furniture places along the Ocatlan road earlier this year looking for a side table and found that basically all of them seemed to be selling the same sort of thing and mostly minimalist modern stuff.  We had a lot of fun looking but ended up finding the perfect thing at the Nomad store right here in town.  I'd suggest talking to them and see if they can get what you want as they seem to be very creative and customer oriented.

Try UOU in west Ajijic.  We found some leather (green) recliners that does NOT look like a recliner (no mechanism showing), with brass nailheads.  It is leather on seating, vinyl on sides and back, but this chair was  sold in US at Costcos, so its quality seems very good.  They had this same chair at Arden but UOU had a slightly better price point.   I find it comfortable when not in recline position.  

GreenRecliner.jpg

gwynne I have two that are exactly what you describe you are looking for. They came from Canada. I've never seen them anywhere here. My house is for sale. If it sells I'll remember you.

Archived