Chapala.com Webboard

Factura

what constitutes a factura?  register tape? handwritten note from the pope; from your mother?  credit card slip?  i understand a factura roughly equates to a us1099, so if none of these forms of receipt qualify at factura level, what does? if a mexican business does not normally issue a factura, how does hacienda determine their revenue?  should you insist on a factura, since you supposedly paid iva included in the selling price? or request a discount if no factura option?  

A factura is issued through a government system which all merchants are supposed to have. The factura is issued upon request and emailed to you in most cases. For Costco, you can go to their site, input some information from your register receipt and print the factura at home. For Walmart, you can go to a machine in the store, input some information from you register receipt, and it is printed for you on the spot.

A receipt, printed or otherwise, a cash register receipt are not facturas.

For me, the only reason for a factura is if the expense is medically related and the document is needed for the insurance company,  or one is doing home improvements and wants to record the cost for subsequent sale purposes.  As a routine thing - no, one would not ask for a factura.

I have been here 20 years, less visits up north. And what bothers me most, is the fact that I naively thought that what Costco gave me was the factura or official government receipt. I've still got so much to learn :o

The Factura here in Mexico is given to prove the 16% tax has been paid.  Pete the Factura was not required 20 years ago this came into being in the past 5 years

Most of your small Vets etc only work in cash as they are not registered and able to provide a factura.

For folks who rent a space for their business and are not provided a factura, can't then use the rental as an expense on their Mexican income taxes.  Some landlords will not give facturas and lose their business renter.  For insurance companies being billed for medical expenses there is not a factura required, only an itemized receipt.

Just now, Yo1 said:

For folks who rent a space for their business and are not provided a factura, can't then use the rental as an expense on their Mexican income taxes.  Some landlords will not give facturas and lose their business renter.  For insurance companies being billed for medical expenses there is not a factura required, only an itemized receipt.

That's not what AXA tells us - facturas are needed.

My insurance in the US doesn't need anything more than an itemized receipt.  They don't care if the govt. has been paid the tax the doc or hospital owes.  They only care about the service being given, the diagnosis and the charge.  Many facturas don't have more than the price for the "honorario".

13 hours ago, sue said:

The Factura here in Mexico is given to prove the 16% tax has been paid.  Pete the Factura was not required 20 years ago this came into being in the past 5 years

Most of your small Vets etc only work in cash as they are not registered and able to provide a factura.

Sue, I've been in Mexico for a very long time.  My experience is that in order to prove an expense for tax purposes (as a business deduction for oneself) a factura has ALWAYS been required.  The electronic factura, on the other hand, has been available for approximately 10 years and has been obligatory since 2014.  In December 2016, a new version of the factura electrónica went into effect.

For clarity, when you receive a register receipt or a hand-written receipt for an item you purchase, it's called a nota.  "Señora, requiere usted una nota?"  That sort of receipt acts as proof of purchase if, for example, you need to return an item to the store where you bought it. 

If you require an official government tax-deductible receipt, or (for example) if your insurance provider requires that level of receipt, that's a factura.  "Caballero, requiere usted factura?" 

To further clarify, when you receive your Telmex, CFE, or other bill, that piece of paper is a recibo.

Liana I am sure you are correct I am not an accountant I should have said the Government did not force the issue till recent years,  Many businesses operated under the table not paying their taxes.  Most Vets etc did not even give numbered receipts making it easy to avoid declaring their full taxable income.

I get facturas for medicine reimbursement for MetLife.  You must ask for the factura as they will not volunteer it.  It consists of 2 pages by email.  PDF and XML pages.  You must have both to submit or keep for proof of payment.  

3 hours ago, bmh said:

Drs do not give facturas they give something with honorarios in the name and that is their facturas and it is ok with AXA that requires facturas for everything...

You need to have a RFC for a factura

Metlife requires facturas and on request our doctors email the numbered Facturas in about 48 hours.

16 hours ago, bournemouth said:

There is a generic RFC number that gets used for foreigners without an RFC number, although I see the day coming when we will all need to have one.

I have my own RFC. It just some persistence by a pharmacist in Guadalajara.

On 7/6/2017 at 10:36 AM, Al Berca said:

Anyone getting a factura when they pay their rent?

It is required by law! You may read here regarding "taxation including landlords / tenants". http://www.soniadiaz.mx/real-estate.html A landlord who does not issue one is breaking the law and then very easy for a tenant to have the landlord at their whim. 

One can obtain their RFC on line. If you need help, pls ask. That is covered on my same web page as noted above. 

I also have a link titled TAXATION from the same page to here: "TAX TREATMENT OF FOREIGN RESIDENTS RECEIVING INCOME IN MEXICO".  And, in some cases tenants are required to withhold and pay the tax. TAX TREATMENT OF FOREIGN RESIDENTS RECEIVING INCOME IN MEXICO ..... Individuals residing in Mexico, or residents abroad who have a permanent address in Mexico and make payments to residents abroad, are required to withhold tax.

On 7/5/2017 at 8:34 PM, Yo1 said:

My insurance in the US doesn't need anything more than an itemized receipt.  They don't care if the govt. has been paid the tax the doc or hospital owes.  They only care about the service being given, the diagnosis and the charge.  Many facturas don't have more than the price for the "honorario".

On 7/5/2017 at 9:09 PM, bournemouth said:

But we're not in the US.

Yes, BM, I realize we are not in Kansas anymore.  However, if your insurance company's office is in the US (as in US insurance as quoted above) they don't require the level of a factura in order to pay.  A receipt with date, service rendered, diagnosis and amount is all they require.  The factura is simply a device to insure the tax revenue from the doc's income.

Archived