Chapala.com Webboard

Happy 4th Of July !!!

Hud

Wishing my friends and neighbors who are Proud American Citizens a Happy Independence Day! Remembering  The Declaration of Independence. :D

We have ours NOB flying, as does all our neighborhood there ! We fly ours here, inside our wall, in respect to Mexico. What a Great Day to be a Proud American !!!

Happy 4th of July !

In 1962, I was 4 years old when we transferred  to Geneva , Switzerland (my dad worked for Dupont and they have their European headquarter in Geneva). From memory, we had the largest 4th of July party overseas. More then 40 thousand would attend. I recall  one year the speaker was Andrew Young.  I use to make a fortune that day by collected coke bottles and dragging them back to get the deposit. This party was held every year at the "Stade Du Bout du Monde" meaning the stadium at the end of the world ! Then the party fizzled out. According to my sister the last party was held several years ago. Its hard to believe I also use to party with the marines in charge of guarding the US embassy, then again it was way before 9/11.

Sadly, many things change.

ENJOY THE DAY

You are so lucky. Look at the languages you were exposed to when you were so young, at an age where you can learn to speak the languages without an accent. I hope you stayed there long enough to be exposed to learn one or more of the languages you were exposed to. Were you there long enough to be exposed additional languages.

I went to Europe when I was in my 20s for 6 years. By that age it was much harder to learn either Dutch or German the two countries I was stationed in. And yes, I had an accent.

EDIT: Please forgive me. I did not mean to highjack the subject of the this string

Actually, I stayed/lived in Switzerland for over 40 years. For many years after I left, I still would do mental math in french and to this day I still slip in a couple of french words in a conversation. My fluency in french has obviously made it much easier for me to learn Spanish. 

I live in an all Mexican neighborhood and every other day I put a pair of gloves on and do a trash pickup. I explained to my neighbors that littering NOB would result in a fine of about  10,000 pesos, but in Switzerland you would get the death penalty or something close to that !

HoneyBee I am sorry I high jacked this fourth of July string of posts. I spent my 4th of Julys on the Military bases I was stationed at.

And yes it is more Facil to learn Spanish when French is one of your native tongues because they are so similar.

7 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

If I had an American flag on my home it would be upside down. The rest I want to say is political.

Then don't say it an don't  post it.  We  Americans are celebrating our birthday.....not what is happening now!!!!

'e 

I wonder if showing this flag upside down might be seen as very disrespectful of the United States of America. Every 4 to 8 years there are going to be people who voted for someone who did not win.

It is sad that we can not put all that behind us at least on the 4th of July.

Archived