Chapala.com Webboard

Affect of US Election on Immigration in Canada and Mexico

Hud

Maybe they found out that Canada is a very difficult country to immigrate to. Today, they only want young, healthy people with training or skills to fill good jobs, preferably speaking English or French. The skills they select are typically in short supply. Doesn't matter if you are wealthy, or retired, or "know somebody". Canada does not accept economic refugees, only convention refugees (vetted many times over). The current opportunity seekers will have to wait up to one year for their hearing, not allowed to work, and then they will be shipped back to their home countries. As in the U.S., any crime which results in a six months incarceration, will cancel their permanent residence status. On the day after their last day of prison, they will be on a plane to where they came from. Count on it.

Employers face substantial punishments if they are caught hiring refugee claimants or undocumented immigrants.

The poll I would like to see is the amount of Canadians legally working in the U.S.A., who have returned to Canada in the last year. I hear about this all the time, but have never seen any numbers.

Looks like the USA would benefit in becoming more like Canada ( and Mexico)in its immigration policy. Maybe just enforcing its own laws, for a change, would be a step in that direction. Canada's policy makes sense to me. Doesn't show the "flight" that people were reporting earlier by Americans to Canada (maybe some had a problem finding that "sponsor"). :D

. Doubt there was any "flight " to Mexico either.

29 minutes ago, Hud said:

(maybe some had a problem finding that "sponsor").

You don't need a sponsor, if you are the top ten "shortage" list, they assume you will soon find work. The number one, when I last looked was food service supervisor, for large scale type hospitals, prisons, that type of thing. Graphic designers were on the list, a few computer things, and nothing of a medical nature. I sponsored a world class plasterer from the U.K., when he got to Canada, they said he did not need a sponsor. Yes, America would benefit from attracting young, talented immigrants from around the world, no matter their religion. They are an engine to the economy in Canada and the U.S.A. And now Mexico.

I don't see any practical way of commenting on this subject without entering the dread territory of "politics". 

I do know that Canada has some strict rules about who may emigrate there, and it doesn't include old folks on pensions.  You must have wanted skills or a ton of money.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

I do know that Canada has some strict rules about who may emigrate there, and it doesn't include old folks on pensions.  You must have wanted skills or a ton of money.

Seems like skills, or a ton of money make excellent reasons to allow someone to immigrate to ones country ! Mexico is kinda like that too.

17 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Seems like skills, or a ton of money make excellent reasons to allow someone to immigrate to ones country ! Mexico is kinda like that too.

Determine your eligibility – Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program

The application period for the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) Pilot Program is closed. The Department is not accepting applications at this time.

You must meet all of the requirements listed below to be eligible to apply under the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program. You must also plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Personal net worth

You must have a personal net worth of CDN $10 million or more. Your net worth must have been acquired through lawful, private sector business or investment activities.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/iivc/eligibility.asp

Mexico is kinda like that too? LOL  It is a long way from $100,000 USD or $2,500 USD per month in deposits I think.

If you want to retire to Canada the only way is to marry a Canadian, same if a Canadian wanted to retire to the USA they have to marry an American. How is this in anyway like Mexico?

22 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I flew because of the election results. I was here before the fascist took office.

Good for you for doing the honorable thing and actually following through on leaving instead of just yapping about it as publicly as possible while going nowhere.  Shows real integrity.

P.S. suggest you read up on fascism.  Hint:  It is not defined as, "I didn't get my own way in an election."

I agree with and support Mexico's Mex-centric approach to immigration and look forward to the day when they appreciate the fact that the U.S. has the right to do so as well.  Canada, unfortunately, seems to be sabotaging its own very good laws by taking in a bunch of would be terrorists and free loaders masquerading as refugees.  Good luck to them with this.

27 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

P.S. suggest you read up on fascism.

fascism
NOUN
  1. an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

I think Mexico is like Canada in Immigration in that a person must show that they can support themselves and will not become a burden on the Mexican Society and programs. The US needs to follow the lead by its neighbors, as no one seems to complain about their strict policies and people often complain about the extremely lenient policies that have put the US in considerable bind.

This isn't political - its a verified fact, Jared Kushner and his sister were recently in the news promising Chinese investors U.S. visas if they put $500,000 U.S. into his failing office tower in New York. Apparently, or allegedly, they gave the impression this was a sure thing because of family connections (wink, wink).

18 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

I'd like to see anyone living on $2500 a month in the U.S. these days.  I suspect that there are a number of people who (sensibly) have moved to Mexico in order to have a decent life on the little they have. If you look at the financial pages in the news, you'll find that surveys show very few people have enough savings or income to retire comfortably.  Some people nearing retirement age are living paycheck to paycheck on jobs that leave no space for savings.  Things are not like they were when us oldies were youngsters, and if were were hard working and smart enough, the U.S.A. had endless opportunities.  The income gap has become a huge chasm, and many college grads wll never be able to get out of debt.

Applying 1960's thinking to today's reality doesn't work. 

8 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:
fascism
NOUN
  1. an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

Definition of fascism

1. 1 often capitalized :  a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

2. Certainly NOT the case NOB, EXCEPT in the MINDS of those who are upset that they CANNOT have their own way with everything. So goes life !

4 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

This isn't political - its a verified fact, Jared Kushner and his sister were recently in the news promising Chinese investors U.S. visas if they put $500,000 U.S. into his failing office tower in New York. Apparently, or allegedly, they gave the impression this was a sure thing because of family connections (wink, wink).

Please, THAT is Fake News. We do not need THAT here.

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'd like to see anyone living on $2500 a month in the U.S. these days. 

Actually, my wife and I live on $1,800.00(or less) a month when we are NOB for 6 months a year, and we do0 not do without anything that we want, and that includes eating out and all the necessities. Maybe you have not lived there since the 60s ?

1 minute ago, Jim Bowie said:

Actually, my wife and I live on $1,800.00(or less) a month when we are NOB for 6 months a year, and we do0 not do without anything that we want, and that includes eating out and all the necessities. Maybe you have not lived there since the 60s ?

I lived in the U.S. in the 1990's.  Your figure might work if you lived in a low property tax state and owned your home free and clear. I'm from California.

22 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I flew because of the election results. I was here before the fascist took office.

So did I, 9 years ago. You can figure out who got elected then........

20 minutes ago, gringal said:

NO WHERE does it say Jared K  said that. As I said, Fake News. Plus, an article by the cnn  of the newsprint, the nyt.

That rag has lost ALL credibility.

17 minutes ago, gringal said:

I lived in the U.S. in the 1990's.  Your figure might work if you lived in a low property tax state and owned your home free and clear. I'm from California.

We live in Texas, would NOT live in California. Perfectly happy to live where we live, No "might" about it, why would I lie about it? I couldn't care less if you believe me or not, just saying that we are examples where your statement was incorrect.

34 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

The only verified fact, which you conveniently left out, is that Kushner was pitching an investment which qualified for visas under the EB-5 program which sets the conditions and dollar amounts.  Thus, the first lie is that they did or could "promise" visas.  

Your second word, alleged, means an unverified charge and the fake news is that there is proof of this.  It has as much credibility as those alleged Russians being now retracted left and right by the Fake News notably that paragon of same these days, the NYT.

The only ones who could actually grant the visas, after confirming the qualifying investment, was U.S. INS.  A fact which you also left out.  

Nice demonstration of how Fake News is created.  Take something that everyone is doing but leave that part out, make up stuff like claiming the one offerer you are targeting as part of your vendetta is promising something illegally and make all sorts of dishonest and unverifiable allegations.

Stick that $500K U.S. figure up there prominently while neglecting to point out this amount is dictated by the EB-5 law and make it look like Kushner is running a shake down instead of offering the same thing under the law everyone else does.

Two suggestions here for those who don't want to be conned by Fake News:  First google up "EB-5 program" and peruse all the investment firms offering investments under this program.  There are pages of them.

This will show the reader just how fake your inference is that Kushner's offer was unique.

Secondly, learn what EB-5 is about here and notice it was passed in 1990.  

https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5

EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

USCIS administers the EB-5 Program. Under this program, entrepreneurs (and their spouses and unmarried children under 21) are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) if they:

• Make the necessary investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States; and
  • Plan to create or preserve 10 permanent full-time jobs for qualified U.S. workers.

This program is known as EB-5 for the name of the employment-based fifth preference visa that participants receive.

Congress created the EB-5 Program in 1990 to stimulate the U.S. economy through job creation and capital investment by foreign investors. In 1992, Congress created the Immigrant Investor Program, also known as the Regional Center Program. This sets aside EB-5 visas for participants who invest in commercial enterprises associated with regional centers approved by USCIS based on proposals for promoting economic growth.

Oh, and do check up on which political party controlled the U.S. Congress, BOTH chambers, in 1990. :D

15 minutes ago, jrm30655 said:

So did I, 9 years ago. You can figure out who got elected then........

I am so Proud for you ! You are where you need to be. Don't EVER think of returning NOB, as those "facists" are EVERYWHERE !  Have a great day ! :D

Archived