Chapala.com Webboard

Lake level has started to rise

Yes it is below the level at this time last year but quite a bit above the level for the same time in 2015. Who knows where it will go?

17 hours ago, cedros said:

Yes it is below the level at this time last year but quite a bit above the level for the same time in 2015. Who knows where it will go?

Guadalajara Reporter cites meteorologist prediction for "record low rainfall this year." Situation for lake not looking good at this point...

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/50297-weathermen-issue-dire-2017-forecast

18 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

Most of the intake of the lake comes from the Lerma River basin and on through Michoacan to get to the lake.  We must hope for good rainfall there.

That prediction was for Jalisco, but I suspect the prediction for the other states that the Lerma crosses is probably about the same. There are also some 500 dams on the Lerma and those impoundments will also have to fill. I agree that we must hope for good rainfall throughout the Lerma and Chapala watersheds.

Interestingly we had a bunch of rainfall locally last year, well above average, yet the lake rise was less than would be expected.  This was because the watersheds to the south and east of us did not get exceptional rains like we did here.

Let's hope the meteorologists are wrong like they were about the California drought.  They are still snow skiing there on the record snow falls of last winter.

June certainly wasn't an auspicious start.  However one tropical storm following the right path can completely change things.

After having lived in one of the rain capitals of the world, Seattle, I never thought that I could love and want more rain, Well, here I am on the shores of Lake Chapala, praying and/or hoping for much more rain. It sure would be nice if we began to set records for high rainfall again

Archived