Chapala.com Webboard

Bus Schedule

I am staying in the Centro of Tlaquepaque and would like to take the bus to Riberas del Pilar/Ajijic.  Where can I find the schedule for going and coming this Sunday?  I would like arrive by 9:30 am and leave around 4 pm.  Thanks for your help!

As far as I know, there is not a bus from Tlaquepaque to Chapala.  

In my opinion ( and being a veteran bus rider) this is the easiest, least stressful and most efficient way to do it.

Take a cab to the Camionera Central Vieja in GDL. Then get on one of the busses that leave every 20 and every 30 minutes. The Primera Plus is 53 ? pesos, I think. The 2nd class one is a little cheaper, but it stops a lot, and you can never tell when it will get to Chapala.

There is a bus that will go to Ajijic via the libramiento and one that goes to the Chapala station. The route through Chapala is easier and more direct.

You can get to Riberas either way. You can take the one to Chapala, get off, cross the street and take a little bus or sometimes a bigger bus that says Jocotepec, and ask the driver to stop in Riberas. Chapala to Riberas is anywhere from 8-10 pesos, depending on the bus.

Alternately, you can take the bus that goes to Ajijic via the libramiento and get off at the stop closest to Wal Mart. Cross the street to the WalMart stop and wait for a bus that is headed to Chapala. It will take you to Riberas, as well. If you take the bus from WalMart towards Chapala, it might be one that meanders thru San Antonio and is a little slower, and will definitely be more crowded.

Some people will tell you to go to "The Alamo" stop on the other side of the carreterra and catch the bus to Chapala from there. I have done that ONCE, and hope never to have to do that again. It is a madhouse. Noisy, full of fumes and smells, tons of people all trying to catch a different bus at the same time. Even if you manage to get the right Chapala bus, you may have to stand all the way to Chapala.

Just my opinion. Good luck on your trip.

• Like 1

I don‘t think so.  Expecting those things is not as common in Mexico, and even if you found one, getting a reply is unlikely.  Face to face works in Mexico. Shake hands, smile, ask for help. It makes people happy to help.

• Like 1

Every tab on the Chapala bus line's website:  http://chapalaplus.com.mx/ gets you a CALL US message. Pure window dressing.

Good luck Colleen, it will be a day you won't soon forget. An adventure for a few pesos. Oh, it beats the stew out of driving.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Express bus going direct to Ajijic leaves the old terminal in Guadalajara every hour and costs 60 pesos. Travelling to Ajijic you have a reserved seat and seat number. Travelling the other way from Ajijic there is no reserved seat. If you are departing Ajijic at a popular time such as 9 or 10 am you risk that the bus arrives with every seat taken or almost every seat. So I learned to line up on the sidewalk outside the terminal and so be one opf the first to board and so get one of the remaining available seats. The first time, sitting in the waiting room until the bus arrived meant finbding no seat available and standing in the aisle for 90 minutes. It is a good service ..I doubt I could drive there any faster...35 -40 minutes to the Guad airport but then another 45 minutes depending on the traffic to get downtown to the terminal. One can walk to the old town from the terminal in about 45 minutes. Otherwise a taxi or walk a couple of blocks to catch the express tram and three stops you are at the Cathedral area.

Traveling from the Chapala bus terminal to GDL old terminal, you will receive a ticket with an assigned seat. Not everyone follows the seat assignments. I find them to be more of a "suggestion." 

I think it is easier and more pleasant to go to Chapala rather than waiting on the sidewalk in Ajijic. For 8-10 pesos you can ride to Chapala and go from there.

I was on the Chapala Plus bus to GDL on Saturday. They leave from the Chapala station every 30 minutes. That is the directo, premium class bus. Same on the return from GDL.

I live east of Walmart, so I go to Chapala. 

• Like 1