Chapala.com Webboard

Healthcare- insurance

I visited Ajijic a few weeks ago for the first time and loved it! I'm considering retiring there soon but need to check out health insurance. I'm 60 years old and have a pre-existing condition. One of the insurance agents told me that my only choice is catastrophic because of my condition (diabetes). He recommended Prevem. Does anyone have good or bad experience with this type of insurance? Can anyone recommend a better one? Thanks!

Unfortunately, when one has a preexisting condition asking an insurance company to sell you health insurance is kind of like asking an insurance company to sell you fire insurance after a fire has started. It's tough for them to make any money on those policies.

Read all the other relevant threads. If you are 60, you prob have ObamaCare. Most policies cover emergencies in Mexico. If you are on meds, you are getting them in the US and just bring them here. 

You offer a bit more info than others but lots of gaps in info. Are you rich, you can afford anything? What is your existing insurance? Are you on meds? 

Having a preexisting condition does not always exclude you from health coverage in Mexico. Some health Insurance companies will exclude certain conditions for a time while still providing health coverage. Talk to Andre Bellon at Bellon Insurance, across from Superlake on the North side of the Carretera.

Andre's cell #  333-662-6915

I have lived here in Mexico for 12 years .... I have the Mexican health insurance Seguro Popular....it covers hospital, surgery, cancer, diabetes and all medications...it is FREE for over 60 years of age. There are services here at the lake who will pick you up and go through the sign-up process. ...or you can do  it on your own...pretty simple. Pre existing conditions are covered no problem.

Thank you to all for your advice!

17 hours ago, tomgates said:

Read all the other relevant threads. If you are 60, you prob have ObamaCare. Most policies cover emergencies in Mexico. If you are on meds, you are getting them in the US and just bring them here. 

You offer a bit more info than others but lots of gaps in info. Are you rich, you can afford anything? What is your existing insurance? Are you on meds? 

I'm not rich, I have Kaiser through work for now, and I am on meds for diabetes. Thanks!

3 hours ago, bmw1150rt said:

Having a preexisting condition does not always exclude you from health coverage in Mexico. Some health Insurance companies will exclude certain conditions for a time while still providing health coverage. Talk to Andre Bellon at Bellon Insurance, across from Superlake on the North side of the Carretera.

Andre's cell #  333-662-6915

Very true but conditions such as diabetes don't lend themselves to an exclusion since it affects so many different bodily systems. Back problems, knees and things like that are good candidates for exclusion.

yes, talk to Andre Bellon....he is highly recommended and sells one of the best insurance policies in Mexico.  He is also a diabetic.  It would be worth at least talking to him.  We have heard great things about the other people that are mentioned on this board.

Ivona,

When you leave work, you can elect Cobra, which is good for 18 months at the unsubsidized rate. You can decline Cobra, and obtain an individual policy elsewhere and pre-existing conditions are covered. I have Kaiser now and it will cover you anywhere in the world in case of an emergency. Just don't tell them you live here but are just visiting. You can get medications delivered to an address connected to your health insurance. Others can chime in on how available meds are here but I find it a hassle to go 8 different places when I can have them filled up NOB and bring them down or have someone else bring them. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a type 1 diabetic and have US insurance but haven't yet purchased medical insurance in Mexico.  In the US, after the deductible was paid it cost me over $400 USD for 3 vials of insulin (and I worked for a hospital and had decent insurance).  Here I pay $60 USD for the same 3 vials of insulin and do not require a prescription to purchase these.  From a medication perspective it is unbelievably inexpensive here in Mexico.

Archived