Chapala.com Webboard

Sciatic pain

Brexin and Norco are two medications I've been advised for pain relief for my irregular sciatic flare-ups. I've studied these on the Internet, and see the advantages and disadvantages of both. I am curious if any of you have used either one, and if they are available here... if so, I'd be curious about the generic names and to see whether the Simi stores have them.

I have had Narco  and  flexeril and received relief .  Not sure about the Brexin because I thought that was more for  allergies. But then , I am not a doctor.  I found that all of us have different tolerances to drugs.  For instance I received relief from Narco, but my sister didn't .. go figure ...

Brexine is Brucam in Mexico.  Norco is acetaminaphen and hydrocodone, pretty serious stuff.  There is no drug that provides relief for nerve pain unless it's a powerful narcotic.  I had sciatic pain until I had surgery.  Now perfect for 4 years!

I use Tramadol, a weak opioid, available without a prescription at most pharmacies. They are 50 mg and 100 mg is the recommended maximum. Try some, you too may get relief from occasional pain.

Paracetomal (Tylenol) acts as a good pair with Tramadol. It seems to activate it.

I am now into preventative maintenance and take one Robax Gold at bed time every night. It prevents the muscle spasms that pinch the nerves that cause the pain. It can't stop you from abusing your back though... like by moving boxes and heavy furniture etc.

Then, I take one in the morning as well and give my back a break (pun intended).

I'm not having any side effects. It was recommended by my stepson who has chronic back problems.

I've had the problem since I was 12 when I grew 12 inches in 18 months. Nothing has ever been seen on scans or x-rays to justify it though... I just manage to cripple myself by doing ordinary things like bending over a sink to brush my teeth.

I'm doing OK now, on it for over 10 years and buy it over the counter without a prescription in Mexico.

edited to add: BTW, Robaxacet or whatever the Mexican version is called does not work for me. It must be Robax Gold. YMMV

This is EEK, I have been back in the US about 8 years now. Three years ago I had sever chronic pain associated with sciatic nerve damage. I lived on two different oipoids. Yes, they relieved the pain, but in time the side effects grew along with the dosage. Because of the side effect I removed myself from these drugs - it took over two months of rehab to get off of them. 

I have now been free of these drugs (9 months), and have little pain, but some limits and mild persisting withdrawal with contractions and anxiety. I did this in a pain clinic, but removed myself from the drugs when they began to dominate me. Oipoids are the number one overdosed narcotic in the US today. Yes, for pain they do work, but you need a qualified doctors surveillance. In 2015 35,000 people in the US overdosed. Many have died including famous people who increased the dosage form  20 mg to 500-3,000 mg per day.If you have to control pain these drugs work, but you may have traded for a worst effect.Get a good pain doctor or clinic and follow their advice. Beware - the availability of these drugs are now strictly controlled in the US - but quite lax in Mexico. I wish you the best, Everett Kergosien.

BTW I miss Mexico and want to say hello to my old friends -- Hello..

This is what works for me.  Had an MRI years ago.  Hanging on an inversion table and we order this online and have it shipped to the house.  This is the go to pain reliever and it has worked better than a pharmaceutical drug.   Ossos Sans is what it's called cucurmin, but there's more than cucurmin in it.   Not available in the US that we know of, so it must be good lol  Send me a pm for more info

6 hours ago, RickS said:

Just be careful....  Tramadol may be a 'weak' opioid but it is an opioid none-the-less. Of course hydrocodone  is powerful stuff also!

I did not know that it was an opioid. I have been on two 50 Mg Tramadol per day and upon an occasion up to 3 or 4 for maybe two years now. I use it as pain control having to do with my hiatal hernia associated with other stomach problems. Maybe I should read the details provided by the pharmacies us north when I pick them up 3 or 4 times per year when I am up in Seattle.

I had no idea it was an opioid. It doesn't make me high or anything like that.

I found the most effective relief from Sciatica pain was an Inversion Table. Used in combination with the usual regime of stretches, worked for me to where I now just routinely do the stretches.  Haven't seen a table here in Mx but they're probably out there in some garages. 

In my case what help best was exercising building up the muscles around L4 and L5. And in my case it worked. It really depends upon the reason why you have the sciatica pain.  And not being a Doc. I can not explain why I have had this problem/

Jogging and running aggravated mine. I just walk, spirited, now. No drugs. Lie on your back and bring the affected leg up and press the knee into your chest area. Hold for 10-15 sec. Repeat as necessary. 

7 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Jogging and running aggravated mine. I just walk, spirited, now. No drugs. Lie on your back and bring the affected leg up and press the knee into your chest area. Hold for 10-15 sec. Repeat as necessary. 

That's a yoga stretch and there are others. It most definitely helps. You can also bring up both knees to your chest and hold them with your arms and rock from side to side. If it's really bad, you can repeat a four letter word mantra with every rocking motion... and I don't mean ohm.

3 hours ago, johanson said:

I did not know that it was an opioid.

I had no idea it was an opioid. It doesn't make me high or anything like that.

Actually it is NOT an opiate since it is not derived from the poppy. It is a synthetic but can be addictive, especially if one is prone to addiction or has addictive habits.

6 hours ago, RickS said:

Actually it is NOT an opiate since it is not derived from the poppy.

You are right to say it is not an opiate. It is an opioid. Look up the difference.

I have used a good massage therapist for many years.  Here I see Lily at the Hotel Perico every week.  She keeps me pain free, but she really works at it with my knee brought up to my chest while she intensely rubs my butt cheek.  I never think about it unless I miss an appt. for some reason and then it reminds why she's so important to see every week.  I believe the work she does on my feet also helps with the arthritis that can make walking so painful.

I do a lot of gardening and regularly lift and carry the heavy concrete pots and bags of dirt.  Not smart, but I'm not ready to stop and if I think of it I take some Ibuprophen and rest my back until the next day and do it again.  After reading these posts I will appreciate Lily more and gladly pay the pesos to keep me going and pain free.

A customer mentioned yesterday that a doctor had given her a shot of something that really helped. So I went to Dr. Rodriguez at Clinica Ajijic and he gave me a shot of Dexamethasone, a corticosteroid antiinflammatory, infused with B1, B6 & B12. He also prescribed Dorixina, which is Clorixin with Tramadol (25mg) (for the pain). This was almost $500p for 14 tabs at Farm Guad, but I believe I can get the two meds separately at a Similares for a lot cheaper.

It's been about 18 hours since the shot, and I can feel the difference, but certainly not enough to walk my bag from the airport highway into the terminal...

And last Friday I went to see Lily at the Perico, based on advice from other posts here over time. She was pretty intense. There was no immediate relief, because this is not just basic back pain, but together with other options, I can see how anyone would benefit from her therapy, which is just like sunnymvx posted.

The exercises I do include the knee-to-chest, knees-to-chest, spine pushes down and spine pushes up. They are quite miraculous. Sort of your own version of an inversion table.

I want to thank everyone again for their suggestions.

Just a word of caution for those of you who canot take anti-inflammatories. The ketaloraco+tramadol combination was an amazing pain reliever, and the 30mg Ketalotaco sublingual is great, as well. However, both will tear your stomach up, as I can say from experience. I truly miss the anti-inflammatories.

Archived