Chapala.com Webboard

Expats under 60

What activities have you tried to get involved in that you found dissatisfying? Other than bingo and LCS, which has a load of things to become involved in or volunteer for. What skills or hobbies do you bring to the table and can use here? Try to focus on things that you can do for others rather than on yourself. Those always bring the greatest sense of happiness and satisfaction,

Curious why you decided people over and under 60 have such different interests that they need to be separated by age.

We're (my wife and I) under 60 and retired full time here in February.  We have been going hiking, either on our own  or with the hiking club once a week. We work out three of four times a week at Skyfitness gym. We take 1 hour and 45 minute classes to learn Spanish at Ole Mexico three times a week. We volunteer several different ways at our Church, and are becoming more involved with Villa Infantil (local orphanage).  We attend weekly dinners with groups of expat friends. We plan on taking more short trips around the lake and other parts of Mexico once we settle in.  We want to get involved with the Kayaking club, although that will probably have to wait until next year. We plan to take up tennis, and I want to play water volleyball, when I can make my schedule work. And of course there are the regular jaunts NOB to visit kids/grandkids or trips abroad.

35 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

What activities have you tried to get involved in that you found dissatisfying? Other than bingo and LCS, which has a load of things to become involved in or volunteer for. What skills or hobbies do you bring to the table and can use here? Try to focus on things that you can do for others rather than on yourself. Those always bring the greatest sense of happiness and satisfaction,

Curious why you decided people over and under 60 have such different interests that they need to be separated by age.

We agree, Al. this is not grade school where we are segregated according to age, but an adult world where we meet according to interests. Although we are in the 65-80 year old group we tend to hang out with people who are in their 30's because of our common interest in Indian classical Music. In some of groups of friends we are "the kids". The idea that most of us older folks are only into bingo and the LCS is both funny and insulting, not that there's anything wrong with that. These new folks are setting themselves up for a rude awakening when they discover that they are being out run, out thought and out classed by people not in their age group. they should try to take people and experiences as they come and enjoy the fulfillity of experiences available here.

When I first started to look to come down here full time I started a thread on the other board "anyone under 55". I received a surprising amount of responses!  I came here at 48, now 51. My partner (whom I met here) also came down at 48. There are a LOT of people here in their 50's and more coming all the time.

What do we all do? Many of us younger folk have found some way to earn some income but for pleasure, as mentioned, there is the hiking club, fishing club, kayaking club, billiards, pingpong, handball, pool and beach volleyball, tennis, pickleball, horseback riding, acting in a play or helping out with set construction, going to the theater, watch a movie, go dancing at Adalitas and then El Barco, etc, etc, etc, along with an almost unlimited amount of charity work of every description. If you can't find something you like to do, you're already dead.

I found this blog last week and thought is was so fun. Kind of sums things up. So much to do.

http://www.retireinlakechapala.net/single-post/2017/06/13/A-Day-In-The-Life-Of-A-Lake-Chapala-Retiree

My favorite saying here is "you need 6 more hours in a day and 4 more days in a week to do all the things you want to do in Ajijic"

We came here in our early 50´s and are now in our early 70´s and we have the same activities.. we do o not hike as far.. take less short trips because we have been to all the places we wanted to visit around here. We do not go to Guadalajara as often  and that is about it..

Unless you are into strainous exercises, and clubing the activities of old and young are pretty much the same..

"Age is just a number" is also the truth.  It's about being engaged with life, giving as well as taking. Doing what you can with the body you have.

We also have an active artists and craftspersons community here, involving people of all ages.  They sponsor the Childrens Art Program at LCS, open free to all the young ones in the area: they have periodic shows at the Cultural Center and an Open Studios tour once a year.  The current general meeting is today (July 3) at 10am at the La Bodega restaurant on 16 de Septiembre in Ajijic.  Visitors are welcome.  Some members are amateurs; some old pros and some just like to support the arts.

Thank you to all who responded. I certainly didn't mean to insult anyone , that certainly wasn't my intention.  I came from a community where it was for ' seniors ' and the activities were pretty lame.  When  I moved over a year ago , I tried the LCS . Went once and I was totally ignored. However, everyone has an off day.  I don't do water, or crafts ( well I keep trying and I am not too good at it ). But just started hiking.  Yes.. many other activities were listed here, that I hadn't thought of. 

So yahoo for this blog.

thank you  again for all who responded. 

Moderator could you please close this thread now ? thank you. 

I think the internet has made a big difference plus cheap phone calls and Skype.

People used to come here to retire, now more and more come here and work on the internet.  If you look at the "gringo schools" there are a lot of younger kids here now that even 9 years ago.  Their parents have to be younger than retirement age.

If you go drive around Guad, there are hundreds of US companies have operations here now and I'm sure that they have some US people working here.  More and more are showing up to live here and work in Guad.

Justathought as a moniker may have been a clue.  Having just one, is pretty limiting.   Glad to see more thought being given now.

Buena suerte

Bob (vintage 1937)

I am very sorry if I came off that way... as I stated before I certainly didn't mean to be stand offish.   I was politely asking what others do beyond joining the LCS. .. I hadn't expected snarky comments.  So don't jump all offer me. 

This is getting a bit personal, which totally is not called for.    

No snark was intended. Sorry you felt that way. Just my current thought. ;)  I had to look up the definition of a snark......does not exist

(1937 vintage getting sour with age)

snark 1 |snärk|
noun
an imaginary animal (used to refer to someone or something that is difficult to track down).
ORIGIN 1876: nonsense word coined by Lewis Carroll in The Hunting of the Snark.

Yes they have much to almost many different types of groups that meet at the LCS, But should you not be interested in these activities you will not come back very often.

Me? I go there about once a week on Friday mornings where they have a computer club. I also know they have  beginning computer classes for perhaps Android phones, and several other technical subjects

Twenty years ago before we had cell phones, we had a Ham radio club..

Again it's a great place to start, and after a year or three you wont be back very often unless you find one of their many organizations, classes, clubs, etc that you may be interested in.

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

No snark was intended. Sorry you felt that way. Just my current thought. ;)  I had to look up the definition of a snark......does not exist

(1937 vintage getting sour with age)

snark 1 |snärk|
noun
an imaginary animal (used to refer to someone or something that is difficult to track down).
ORIGIN 1876: nonsense word coined by Lewis Carroll in The Hunting of the Snark.

I actually like the 'snark' word you looked up rather than the word I used which was 'snarky'.   ( snide/ critical). 

I turned 60 this year and was 55 when we moved here and I have to echo what others have said. Whatever you are interested in, or think you might like to try, there's probably a group here that does it, or someone that can teach it. This is the first time I've had to have a calendar to keep track of my personal life (as opposed to my old work life). I have friends in their 20s and friends in their 80s. I have friends who don't speak English and friends who speak 3 or 4 languages. Of course there are grumpy old people here but they're thankfully a minority. In the main there are a lot of friendly, interesting and adventurous people here. 

Like the old saying goes, "Life is what you make it'.  So if you're 30 or 50 or 80, it doesn't matter, just stay active doing whatever you like.  As far as finding those activities, Ajijic and the rest of Lakeside has pretty much everything available.  There are groups, classes, volunteer organizations, and plenty of nature to experience along with great weather!

Archived