Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Olive Oil

AngusMactavish

arboles-carrusel.jpgI just visited this company's location: http://www.olivomx.com/olivomx-ingles.html It was hard to find as the place has no signs with the exception of the word "Ventas" on the side of the processing plant. They produce olive oil with a flavor and make it for the export market, but sell to the locals with packaging in English. It is in Tula, Tamaulipas. The venture is describe in a trade journal: https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/south-america/mexico-first-olive-oil-processing-plant/7664 Notice that Mexico  is referred to in the link as being in South America, a sadly common falsehood in the US.

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

You might Google around for olive oil from Baja California, where it is extensively produced in the Ensenada area.

ML gives good advice. The Valle de Guadeloupe is east of Ensenada and kind of resembles Napa country. Great food, vineyards and olive oil. No public transportation that I know of. Fly to TJ, bus to Ensenada and hire a taxi for all day. You won't go wrong.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Notice that Mexico  is referred to in the link as being in South America, a sadly common falsehood in the US.

I notified the editor, since the Olive Oil Times said they were dedicated to education. But I really wonder how many persons from wherever realize that North America consists of 23 countries, plus 22 dependent territories. I didn't.

16 hours ago, El Cartero said:

I think in terms of contiguous countries in North America rather than Carribean Islands.  

So do I. But lots of people think the contiguous countries are just three: Canada, U. S., Mexico, but there are ten: Canada, United States, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama all contiguous. Dominican Republic contiguous with Haiti. Interesting (to me) that Cuba, Dominican, Haiti, Jaimaica, Bahama, Cayman, Turks are all closer to the contiguous N. A. mainland than is Puerto Rico, which is a major U. S. territory.

22 minutes ago, El Bizco said:

So do I. But lots of people think the contiguous countries are just three: Canada, U. S., Mexico, but there are ten: Canada, United States, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama all contiguous. Dominican Republic contiguous with Haiti. Interesting (to me) that Cuba, Dominican, Haiti, Jaimaica, Bahama, Cayman, Turks are all closer to the contiguous N. A. mainland than is Puerto Rico, which is a major U. S. territory.

When did geographers do away with Central America?  

1 hour ago, camillenparadise said:

So where does one buy Mexican olive oil?

The company I visited sells it there in Tula, but like many things Mexican of the highest quality, it is for export.

I'm a fan of good olive oil but a trip to Tula is a lot to ask just to fulfil my cravings. I looked on the website you listed Angus, and could find no way to purchase what looks to be a tasty treat. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I did a simple google search to no avail but then searched Fresko's website and here is what I found. Aceite de oliva extra virgen OLIVO DEL CIELO The company is in Tula and the bottle shape is the same I can't speak for the quality although they list the acitity of the oil and date the bottle -- so those are good signs. The price is good only about $100 MXN for 500 ml. My next trip to GDL will include a stop at Fresko for a bottle of this olive oil. I'll report back... I will also check at Superlake since they have a good selection of olive oils. Anybody else seen this locally?

Yes spacedebris, it is the same company and oil. As I said before, they produce for export and the label is in English. The 500 mi. bottle at the plant is 90p with a discount for six. The label says, "Intense Fruity Flavor". I will be going again at the end of the month and plan to bring some back again. I gave five away to neighbors and am waiting for their comments on the flavor.

Why not ask them on their website's contact link where in Mexico some might be bought?

5 hours ago, spacedebris said:

I will also check at Superlake since they have a good selection of olive oils.

Just got back and there is Italian and Spanish oil, but no Mexican.

Archived