Chapala.com Webboard

Electric fly swatter, where to buy

To save me time tomorrow, does anyone know where I would find the electric fly swatters?  They look like a small tennis racquet. I really need something to help me decrease the flies and I'm told these work.  Hoping not to have to spend hours hunting for one.  ThankS

Carol

The flies are bad. Both SuperLake and Walmart have been out of even the hand-held ones. SuperLake finally had the itty bitty ones in for about 8 pesos. They have the electric ones on MercadoLibre... just search for "matamoscas."

I believe you can order and pay at Oxxo or 7-11 if you do not want to use a Credit Card or Debit Card.

Yes I see a lot of flies closer to the lake like the area around El torito. Yet in upper Ajijic as far as on can go up the hill, where I live, for some reason I don't seem to have any. I wonder why? And no I am not complaining :lol:

Our experience is that they do not work - flies, especially the young ones, are way too fast. Also the two for one fly zappers bought at Costco do not work either. Luckily, we don't get many flies up here in the hills - unless something decides to die in the woods. We just use the sprays like Raid or Bayco - works on everything except big scorpions and cockroaches. Get the new one that smells like eucalyptus (sort of, but nice try).

Right on Chillin. Living with the woods behind me, I too remember the first time I saw a scorpion some 18 years ago, I had been watching James Bond 007 movies so I knew that Scorpion stings would kill you. And the first time I was stung, I was rushed to the hospital then in upper La Floresta, and was treated not for the scorpion sting but for a panic attack. Afterwards I felt like a total fool. The following year I was stung again. That time, I drove to the Maskara clinic and sat there for an hour or two until the Doc said, no problem, but that it is good that you checked.

These days, no big deal. I almost never see them anymore. Could it be that the cats that I now have, play with and then kill them before they reach an area where I go stocking or bare footed to the bathroom etc?

the flyswatters are available at "small mart" south side of Ajijic plaza ,,,,,, I knock every thing off the tables .... useless ...... I prefer the sticky coils of paper you hang from the ceiling ..... you get to see them die slowly 

Guys, these electric tennis racket thingofmajigs are mosquito zappers, not fly swatters.  They mostly just stun the flies temporarily, but they do excellent zapping and killing mosquitoes and bobos.  For flies use the sticky tape and some people here even swear by hanging small bags of water from the ceiling.  I have seen fly bags that attract the fly inside and once inside they can't get back out.

Thank so for the info. I've tried the plastic bags with coins... basil...and other herbs. The flies are the little ones, so I may hang the ugly strips to survive this period. I'll about the zappers, too, just so I can try everything.  About spraying, I have animals and the flies like the kitchen, so unsure how I could use it. I bought two types but can't figure out a safe spraying area that would help.

I know that the flies will eventually find me. When they do I put up sticky everthing everywhere. What I don't remember though is where the best place to by a good selection of them. I remember seeing plates for sale with little specks of supposedly fly poison. I doubt that they work, I still have some up from several years ago on very high areas that I need a ladder to reach and they still seem to have the same number of specks they used to when I first bought them.

I had one for several years that worked until an electrical outage zapped it while it was charging. I am looking for another one - thanks for the ideas. The trick is to hover the swatter over the fly when it is sitting still and turn on the zapper. Move the swatter slightly and it will zap the fly as it tries to fly away.

What I really want is a Bug-a-Salt but I don't want to spend $45 bucks https://bugasalt.com/

Archived