Chapala.com Webboard

Bank issues

Hi Folks 

I am ask if anyone has had trouble using the ATMs. Today for the second day trying 4 different banks I have attempted to make a withdrawal from my bank (Bank of America) and after going through the whole process it gives me a screen saying it can not access my institution.  Am I alone in this??

Maybe. I heard there were some problems with Interac. Has your card worked before? If not you may have to wait and talk to your bank.

That is what had happened to me the last time I tried after first one and then 6 months later my 2nd B/A card had chips installed. They worked great in the US, but, not down here. I just got back and I shall try again.

They worked fine before the chips and poorly after I got a CHIP in my first card, the one with the chip stopped but the one without worked until it was time to renew and a chip was in the second card. And then it stopped. I have talked to B/A several times and they say if they work up north if we know you are down south and we know it, that they should work, but they don't at Scotia Bank where I always used to go.

You are not alone.  I have had similar experiences since October.  Replaced cards with same result.  My bank doesn't see any transaction at all.  Both of my cards have always had chips and work perfectly as charge cards.  One is a MasterCard affiliate and one is a Visa affiliate.  

We also have had problems since October, off and on, with chipped cards.  They usually work at HSBC and CIBanco, if that machine has cash.  But Bancomer machines have  been problematic, despite the fact that the card is from another BBVA bank.

I have chips and was told that I didn't need to let the bank know when I was in Mexico. Then it did t work one day, so I called. And was told I did have to tell them. Now all is fine until December, when I have to say I am still here.

Try wiping down the chip with a soft cloth. That seems to be the SOP in grocery stores and when I had a problem just like you, cleaning the chip fixed it.

There is also the possibility that one of the links between the ATM and your bank is down.

You can also call B of A call them and ask if they see the error based on the date and time of the denial. Chances are the transaction never made it but if it did, customer service can tell you why.

I have had chipped cards for many years and they still work with no problem. BUT, I have a chipped card for debits only and a chipped card for credit only.

I'm wondering if the chipped cards that have problems do both? Curious.

6 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

Some of the cards with chips take a long time to activte the transaction when you put them in the machine.  You have to leave them in a bit longer than the cards without chips. 

You have to keep trying and getting messages until they work.

I have that happen to me in the states also. I am told that is why the readers at stores have both chipped and swipe.

At CI Bancorp in Central Laguna, I put the card in and take it out as directed by the on-screen message. Then it tells me my card has a chip and to reinsert it and I do and works fine after that.

Archived