Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable internet

I live in Villa Nova and have had Telecable internet for about three years and have been pleased with the service.  Recently, however, the service has deteriorated to the point where today I am getting less than 1 Mbs.  (I am paying for 8 Mbs).  In response to complaints earlier this week, the company claimed this is an anomaly and promised to send technicians to our area to check.  They say this shouldn't happen with optic fiber and that perhaps the problem is unique to my connection.  Recently I have been getting 8 Mbs in the morning, decreasing to 4-5 Mbs in the afternoon and often around 3 Mbs in the evening.  Today I'm getting near 0 Mbs at times.  Is anyone else having similar problems with Telecable?

Under entirely different conditions (DSL hardware mounted on the north face of a house in the redwoods of northern California), I've seen how data rates can be rendered unstable by humidity, especially rain and sometimes wind.  Cable should be more robust, but in Mendocino the copper connectors develop the green patina that graces the roofs of so many great buildings worldwide.  Ask your neighbors if their cable service exhibits the same pattern (though you'd think Telecable would have line testing built into the system).

And does anyone know how fast and dependable Telecable service is down the road in Los Senderos?  Apparently Telecable contractually provides service to the entire fracc and poor service there could be a real problem for a captive audience...

9 hours ago, Orygun Duck said:

Recently I have been getting 8 Mbs in the morning, decreasing to 4-5 Mbs in the afternoon and often around 3 Mbs in the evening.  Today I'm getting near 0 Mbs at times.  Is anyone else having similar problems with Telecable?

This is the pattern with TeleCable. I'm in Riberas, but no different. I get full speed in the morning and then it starts decreasing in the afternoon. By evening it is pretty much unusable. They are way oversubscribed and can't support the customer base that they have.

Because my Telmex is out, I have been using my Telecable backup.  Yesterday evening I was lucky to get 0.5 Mb/sec down.  This morning I am back up to the 5Mb/sec. I pay for. I sure wish my usually much more reliable Telmex Infinitum would start working. I Made a report Thursday, and still no internet.

Welcome to Mexico :)

Update: Received a call from Telmex this Saturday morning from Mexico City and was told that my infinitum will be operational in one hour.

He doesn't have any Internet so can't respond.....:P

As many know, cable Internet as opposed to TelMex DSL, uses a 'branch' topography. So the more people who turn their computer, the more the branch gets overloaded. The same is true NOB (great in the morning and deteriorates in the PM) but probably Telecable just adds too many folks to each branch rather than adding a 'new branch'. Those 'branches' were first designed to carry TV signals which were not as demanding on bandwidth but now carry data which is much more so.

Well, in one way, it was a rhetorical question, lol. But on the other hand, he does have TeleCable.

As for how cable was "designed", don't forget that the delivery system for Internet over copper coax/optical is completely different than TV signal delivery.

I did not get it 1 hour later nor 2, but when I came back from lunch the INTERNET light was bright red rather than no light. So I held the reset button down for I thought more than 30 seconds but it could have been less, and still got the red light. Next I disconnected the power for more than 30 seconds and when it eventually came on, it was GREEN. Next I entered my modem and saw that the settings still said 12.6 by 0.6 and then a speed test and I was getting almost 10 down by almost 0.5 up. And that is fine.

Just for the heck of it, I checked my backup Telecable modem and saw like unlike this morning when I was getting 5 down by 1.8 or so up that at almost 2 PM, I was 3.6 down by 1.8 up.

It will be fun to do a speed test of the two sources in late afternoon when usage is higher. I predict that Infinitum will be about the same and the Telecable will be slower.

Archived