Chapala.com Webboard

This is  the current status of Anita’s   Animals.

Anita’s Animals is in the process of closing and finding  homes   for  the  dogs and cats that are there now.

The people who  have  SOLE LEGAL RIGHT   for    all activities involving the shelter are:    Edelweiss Padilla, daughter of Anita   and Doris Bitterci , who has legal power of attorney given to her  from Anita to act on her behalf.  

Prior to Anita’s  departure  to  Germany, a  young  woman named Tulu was placed  in the  shelter   ‘ manager ‘  position, and also stayed  there  over-night.    She  also  went to the Wednesday tianguis   and you might have met  her there in the weeks  she was there with Anita and then with Jackie K.  a  long  time Anita volunteer.  During this brief time, Anita contacted  her daughter  and  said that she will not be  returning to Mexico,   for personal / health reasons.                                                                                                                            Meanwhile Edelweiss had a meeting with  some ex-pats , mostly  new to the community, to discuss  possible help at the shelter.  They had a meeting on   June 6th   2017 .  The statement made by this group was:  [ the ] PURPOSE:  To Meet Immediate Needs of Anita’s Animals,  while future plans are put in place.

This  TRANSITION TEAM  consisted of :    Chairman -  Cindi  Martin,      Co-Chairman - Toni  Miller  ,  Treasurer -  Jan / Janice Raschko   and   Out-Reach -  Linda  O’Brien .                            Part of  the  topics discussed  during that  meeting included:   For  the next month,  things will remain status quo ,  while new measures are evaluated and put in place by the transition team.  Also having fund-raisers and  in  next month, have “fill-a-bag sale at Anita’s to get rid of clothing”.  Donate leftovers.

The Transition Team made  an offer to buy the property / shelter, but no agreement was reached.

During  the  last  three weeks , since that June  6ht meeting   saying things would remain status quo for the next month -    all clothing, hardbound and paperback  books, music CDs, movie DVDs  was    ‘disposed’  of    in various ways,  during  a ‘clean up’  project   by the Transition Team.   So   there  is  no more  tianguis , where   these items had been sold for many years.

Ms. Bitterci ,  the legal representative  of Anita,   received an  e-mail dated June 25, 2017   from Janice Raschko      that stated:  [ “we”    being the Transition Team ] :                                    We  will not however  be purchasing the property,  attending the Tianguis,  cleaning up the property   or  raising funds for Anita's   shelter.                                                                               It will once again become your responsibility.   Toni, Linda, Cindi and I want to thank you both for helping us during the transition time,                                                                                    but please do not involve us any further with the complicated administration of Anita’s.  We wish you the best for a bright future of the shelter. 

Any   donations   for Anita’s  animals  should   be given directly to Doris or Edelweiss,  not  through a second party .                                                                                                                          Donations of   dog  food, cat food and kitty litter  would still  be appreciated  until  all of the  cats/ dogs have found a new  home, however  long  that takes.  

So  as of June 25th, the Transition Team  has removed   themselves from any and all  the activities  of Anita’s Animals , unless  given  [ specific ] permission by Edelweiss and / or Doris.

The  task  before Edelweiss  and Doris, AND  with the help of the community  I hope, is that homes will be found for the dogs and cats at the shelter.   The animals will remain at  the shelter  ‘open’   until a placement has been   found  for each animal.   However, no   new  animals  will be accepted.  

I wish to thank the community on behalf of Anita for the many years that you supported her cat and dog rescue work.  She  was  a ‘landmark’ in this community and will be missed.

“Animals are reliable, many full of love,  true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal.  Difficult standards for people to live up to.”

Alfred A. Montapert

Best of luck to everyone involved and thanks to all.

Unfortunately, for many of us who have been around for a few years, this is exactly how too many things end when no "exit" plan has been put in place. Whether just one person's personal effects or something like this we all need to express our wishes when we are either gone or no longer able to carry on.

A good reminder for me.

Thank you for posting this information.  I hope the community will come together and help Doris find homes for all the animals - perhaps some of the other shelters can take a few - but it will take work to find homes for that many animals as I assume the immediate goal is to close the shelter as soon as the animals can be placed in good homes.   

When I was lakeside, I took pictures of the dogs and the cats at Anita's that were available for adoption - and they were posted on the web - So that is one thing that some in the community can pitch in and do now - as the pictures did help increase the adoption rate - and that is something that is needed.  Hopefully Doris will be able to put together some sort of volunteer infrastructure for activities like this.

Also - the transition team renamed the shelter - I assume the name will revert back to what it was as it wasn't a legal rename - and they created a new website  with this new name (which I assume they will delete - and turn over paypal funds collected to Doris)   and I assume and hope that   the old website can be put back on line - a great place to show the pictures of dogs needing placement.  Again, Hopefully Doris will be able to put together some sort of volunteer infrastructure for activities like this.

So sad to see this happen - but I assume the dogs and cats are still in good health - the workers there always care about them - wish I was there to help.

Doris told me , as I remember [ with  olde age  adjustments  ]  there are about 50 cats, and 43 dogs present at the shelter site.

Various sizes, ages and "breeds" .     A golden  puppy was adopted yesterday.

Doris is working on an  animal  sheet for each animal ,  with the dog's   pictures and essential  data.

I believe she will do some posting on Facebook when she has completed the dogs. Then the cats will follow.  

Jackie, my friend, I think you have it backwards: 43 cats, and about 50 dogs, possibly plus the 11 being fostered by the transition team.

Right now we at the Ranch are overcrowded and it seems like every time we adopt a dog, someone dumps one or two over our fence. BUT, we have agreed to take in Anita's dogs as we have room. I expect that Lucky Dog is doing the same thing. We are all in this together. So if you have decided to adopt a dog but don't find one at Anita's that you fancy, please also look at the Ranch and Lucky Dog so we will be able to take in more of her dogs. If the community pulls together, we can make something good come from all of this.

Thank you

We are going to give the little black and white female cocker mix a home.   We are in Canada at the moment but have made arrangements to pick her up upon our return.  We already have 4 of our own (all rescues from the area)  and had just  committed to taking one more who is currently in a foster home- we will pick him up when we return from Canada.  So, that will make 6 dogs!

Please join us in saving a life.  We are a great community of dog lovers, let's get as many homed as quickly as we can. 

The Challenge  Begins........ Please help!

12 hours ago, Guiness said:

We are going to give the little black and white female cocker mix a home.   We are in Canada at the moment but have made arrangements to pick her up upon our return.  We already have 4 of our own (all rescues from the area)  and had just  committed to taking one more who is currently in a foster home- we will pick him up when we return from Canada.  So, that will make 6 dogs!

Please join us in saving a life.  We are a great community of dog lovers, let's get as many homed as quickly as we can. 

The Challenge  Begins........ Please help!

Bless you, looking forward to meeting your new family members. J

The Guad Reporter has an ad with phone numbers. The numbers are 387 761 0500 or (045) 333 400 3327

OK animal lovers, we need to get this show on the road. Anita has been a fixture here for more than 20 years. I think we can agree she made some unfortunate decisions about the future of the shelter, and the transition team took on a huge task they weren't equipped to handle. That in the past and right now these animals need to find homes.

From various sources, there seem to be between 40 and 60 dogs and puppies and about 40 cats and kittens. No all are ready for adoption. Many are not well socialized. This calls for love, patience and training but it can be fixed. Some of the dogs won't be housebroken, many will have poor house manners but this is true of any rescue animal.

So please start planning for your new arrival. If you can't take a pet yourself, talk to your friends, neighbors, Facebook followers... and lets see how quickly we can accomplish something we can all be proud of - saving ALL the dogs and cats at Anita's.

318558724-2976749c8744ec64d2cd3e0c2e57b4

Archived