Chapala.com Webboard

Airlines fined for charging fees for first checked bag

Interesting, United charged us $50 for two bags for my wife and I last week... The article only listed Mexican airlines... Maybe they need to smack the American companies...

35 minutes ago, rvanparys said:

Interesting, United charged us $50 for two bags for my wife and I last week... The article only listed Mexican airlines... Maybe they need to smack the American companies...

One of the companies fined, Jet Blue, is an American company and the article also states that the cases of United and American will be resolved shortly, so they are dealing with US companies as well as Mexican.

3 hours ago, rvanparys said:

According to the same article " the cases of United and American will be resolved in the next few days."

Oops! Repeat. Sorry.

I recently purchased tickets on Alaska GDL to Canada and back. No baggage fee for first checked bag when I booked. Then I read about  "airlines tagging on extras" on Yahoo and went back to Alaska site. Sure enough, shows $25 for first bag.

WHAT???  On further checking, discovered no fee for first checked bag to - from Guadalajara.  So I guess Alaska took it seriously when this new rule was put in last April by Mx government.

Volaris is still charging $21.99 for first checked bag. I just booked today. When asked why in light of the fine for doing so, the agent, "We have been taught to say...."  The explanation was pretty much that the law says we can.

When booking yesterday for a September 5 flight from NYC to Guad  Volaris told me they / the airlines have until September (30?) to "review " the new law. The couldn't tell me what "review" meant or when they'd be implementing the new law . Had to pay for first checked bag

Archived