Chapala.com Webboard

restaurant serving lobster?

El Toro Furioso

My wife and I are celebrating our 35th anniversary tomorrow and we would like to revisit an old tradition of celebrating it with a lobster dinner.  Are there any restaurants lakeside that serve a good lobster?  The tradition was Maine or Nova Scotia cold-water chicks, but Pacific or even South African would do.

We like that tradition too, but couldn‘t find any place in Tucson; not even Red Lobster, so we bit the bullet and had a pair flown in from Boston.  We tracked the delivery and had a large pot of boiling water ready when UPS arrived.

I wonder if any of those lobster firms will ship to Mexico????? You could ask.

We may have to give up the tradition, as I never paid so much for a lobster dinner. But, we did have lobster in the desert.

We love giant lobsters and went to the Palm both in NYC, Orlando and other locations is the states. The Palm is always consistent and luscious. Having lobster at the Palm when visiting Mexico was to be a highlight. Unfortunately,  it was a disappointment. Suggest saving your lobster dinners for trips NOB.

Those tails are not homerus americanus, which is LOBSTER.  Just ask anyone from New England, especially Maine (where they may even have a law against calling them lobster), or the Atlantic Provinces of Canada.  Those South African “lobster tails“, and other such langusta, “spiny lobster“ or langustinos just are not the same taste or texture. They are tough, and lack the best part; the large claws.  Only if you have never had the real thing, will you think that they are worth buying.

I agree 100% with RV Gringo...I head to Boston or even Maine for my lobster...nothing even close here.  And there should be a law against calling a spiny lobster as such. 

I have yet to try Red Lobster in Guadalajara.

Angus......What can I ask is a Florida lobster???

Once you get a ways into Maine stop at a McDonald's. Yes, really. Try their lobster roll, delicious and you won't find it anywhere else.

At a McDonald's that is. Very popular throughout New England and if they still do them, Sunday night church lobster dinners were hard to beat.

We have had lobster at Roberto's 3 separate times.  We made reservations for it ahead of time, Bobby purchased them and prepared them just the way we like it.  The new owner's name is Bob also ... you could talk to him but tomorrow is probably out of the question as they are closed still, I believe on Monday and Tuesday and it does take time for them to acquire the lobster.

8 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Those tails are not homerus americanus, which is LOBSTER.  Just ask anyone from New England, especially Maine (where they may even have a law against calling them lobster), or the Atlantic Provinces of Canada.  Those South African “lobster tails“, and other such langusta, “spiny lobster“ or langustinos just are not the same taste or texture. They are tough, and lack the best part; the large claws.  Only if you have never had the real thing, will you think that they are worth buying.

Your comment makes me think of how some people think Alaskan king crab or snow crab even begins to compare with Dungeness crab, the absolute best crab ever!  Absolutely no competition there.  West Coasters will know what I mean.  I just returned from six weeks in California and Oregon and had fresh Dungeness crab once a week.

I feel an affinity for Pappysmarket and Bdington, who know the real thing. The rest of you need to wash your mouths out with soap for using the word “lobster“, for those langostinos & other tasteless relatives of the crayfish.  You will be forever banned from New England, and probably be incarcerated in a Maine town square, confined in an old lobster pot.

Bit late to this one. But I have tried Monkfish, the "poor man's lobster", and it is very firm and tasty. I believe Tabarka serves this. Speaking of poor men, an old friend of mine, growing up in Newfoundland, said when he was young lobster was only eaten by the poor. People with money could buy cod.

47 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Bit late to this one. But I have tried Monkfish, the "poor man's lobster", and it is very firm and tasty. I believe Tabarka serves this. Speaking of poor men, an old friend of mine, growing up in Newfoundland, said when he was young lobster was only eaten by the poor. People with money could buy cod.

Tabarka serves a very good monkfish, but any similarity to lobster lies in the realm of dreams.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

In the latter half of the 1900's, there were still fishing villages on the banks of Newfoundland where the cod catch was simply shared among the locals, no cost. But the cod is depleted, and is now like gold or diamonds. Very sad, sad news.

I have had the monkfish at Tabarka, and was surprised how "lobster-like" it is... certainly not a replacement, but pretty tasty. I also had one instance where I ordered monkfish and was served something completely different... the taste was a dead giveaway.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Even worse; there was a time when lobster were used as fertilizer in those parts.  That tells you what the town fathers thought of the poor.

23 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Even worse; there was a time when lobster were used as fertilizer in those parts.  That tells you what the town fathers thought of the poor.

Haha, thanks for the memory jog, the old NE expression, town fathers.

In the age of PC what do yo think they are called now?

Archived