Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart

Amanda

I don't know if other people have had problems with Walmart, but I seem to have a recurring problem.  I pay for items like food but the people who put it in the bags seem to leave some of my food out.  I get home and my food is not there.  I really don't like it when companies have employees who are either incapable of doing their job or just like to rip Gringos off.  This has happened to me me often.  From now on, I will take everything out of the bags and check the items before I leave.  The other thing I hate is when you buy something and the teller never gives you the right change back.  Normally I have not cared, but from now on, I will demand the exact change.

We have had a few times in the last 12 years that the wrong change was given.  We always check ours.  However, never have we not received the food we bought.  Of course, I am standing there seeing it go into the bags and then into my cart so would know right away if the food was still sitting on the counter.

I also haven't had problems getting my food packed correctly. Once I thought I was missing something, but it had rolled under the car seat. 

We have had the missing item more than once at Walmart, and the correct change problem. So, now when WE buy at Walmart, one checks the items going into the bags and the other is responsible for payment and correct change. It is tough when there is only one person. Happens at other major stores here, too. I check the bags, then the change and receipt when solo before I leave the store. More trouble, but what else is one to do here?

I stand where I can watch the ring up and the bagging.  Also don't buy a lot at one time and try to pay with bills as close to the total as possible.

Going to try using our chipped debit card after another member here reported good results with those.

Sometimes my wife and I go together but most often she is by herself and uses the same system.

The best thing you could do while following all of the above is to talk to the workers not in school Spanish but in street slang if you happen to know it. . Right away they think you're more like them and they respect you more and think you understand the system better than that person from up North who speaks no Spanish.

No I am not saying my Spanish is perfect, far from it, but after 20 years in Mexico I do OK with street slang.

Baggers at grocery stores in Mexico are not employees of the company but the store lets then bag groceries there for tips. If you tip them about a peso per bag they usually will not rip you off. If you don´t know enough to tip them then they might rip you off. IMO

8 hours ago, johanson said:

The best thing you could do while following all of the above is to talk to the workers not in school Spanish but in street slang if you happen to know it. . Right away they think you're more like them and they respect you more and think you understand the system better than that person from up North who speaks no Spanish.

No I am not saying my Spanish is perfect, far from it, but after 20 years in Mexico I do OK with street slang.

I dunno about that, Pete. The baggers know us for who and what we are.  I think a more doable solution to the matter is alertness at the register and an appropriate tip for the bagger's service.  This is their living.

I've never had a problem, in Walmart, with either receiving change or the actual products that I've bought. I'm in there at least once a week. Maybe it's something about the aura that emanates from each of us.

I had two occasions at Soriana, purchasing hot food from the chicken/pizza counter in the back... the food got left out of my bag. The first time, I was long gone before I noticed. The second time, I knew right away, because the result of that incident was that I always check. I went back to the counter and voila!... a sad-looking bagger lady handed me the package before I could even open my mouth.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I had two occasions at Soriana, purchasing hot food from the chicken/pizza counter in the back... the food got left out of my bag. The first time, I was long gone before I noticed. The second time, I knew right away, because the result of that incident was that I always check. I went back to the counter and voila!... a sad-looking bagger lady handed me the package before I could even open my mouth.

I'll add to cg's comment, as there have been times (early on) when I did not take care of my responsibility by making sure I had everything and the correct change.  Upon getting to the car and discovering I was 40-50 pesos short, I returned to the cashier and without saying a word to her, she handed me the correct amount. That only happened a couple of times, as I am not a really slow learner, most of the time.

Archived