Chapala.com Webboard

Anitas Animals Transition Team **Update**

In the face of adversity and harsh critics the transition team plowed forward with the best of intentions for the animals residing at the Anita's Animals shelter. In the wake of recent disturbing discoveries and counsel from our lawyer, local animal advocates, and two local vets, we are not moving forward with our intentions to purchase and rehabilitate the property.  Instead, we are working to rehome as many dogs as possible by first getting them healthy and sociable. That means removing them from the shelter and having them vetted and fostered.

We are proud of the work we and other volunteers accomplished at the shelter to provide isolated recovery areas and care for the sick animals.  The team is very disheartened that we cannot help all the animals at the shelter at this time but will continue to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome the animals as we can. 

We currently have 11 dogs in our care and after attending to their needs we will post pictures of these beautiful souls in the hope of finding foster or permanent homes on the website. 

I understand that many of you will either have your hopes dashed or be ready to criticize our decision. My suggestion is to either keep it to yourselves or go to Anita's and see how you can help. Even though we are not taking it over, we still very much care about the animals still there and any future drop offs. You can contact Edelweiss, Anita's daughter or Doris, Anita's power of attorney, as I believe they are the responsible persons at this point. 

J Raschko

I want to thank you all for your very hard work and all of the difficulties you are facing. I am also so sorry that some persons chose to verbally  attack you rather than to help you.  Again, I wish you the best during the future having to make these and other more difficult decisions.

2 hours ago, johanson said:

I want to thank you all for your very hard work and all of the difficulties you are facing. I am also so sorry that some persons chose to verbally  attack you rather than to help you.  Again, I wish you the best during the future having to make these and other more difficult decisions.

Well said.  Thanks for what you have done.  I know it must have been very difficult.  Giving some money to a charity is all well and good, but the ones who go in and get their hands dirty, and put in the long hours, and face the realities of whatever sad cause is the one being helped, seeing it personally and actually dealing with it, are the ones who are really helping the very most. You and your Transition Team are to be admired for everything you are coping with and I thank you wholeheartedly for your time and effort.

I am utterly speechless.  The havoc that you have created - shamful is the only word that comes to my mind.  
Also -Assume a published accounting of the funds you collected for the shelter and how and to whom they were disbursed will be turned over to the person that now has power of attorney.

Is it within the realm of possibility that Anita left these poor folks a bloody mess to try and clean up?

No, I didn't think so.

Shame on me.

Please remember that Anita really cared for her animals and I understood would almost never turn an animal down that needed help. Could it be that she cared so much for all the animals that she took too many in and as her health failed waited too long to beg for help. The one thing I would never do would be to blame Anita or all the volunteers who tried so hard to help all of these animals and bring things back to normal. 

I thank all of you for trying. And I am sad to learn that maybe the job was so big that the whole effort may fail

I and hoping and praying for a miracle. Thank you all who have tried so hard.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, jraschko said:

In the face of adversity and harsh critics the transition team plowed forward with the best of intentions for the animals residing at the Anita's Animals shelter. In the wake of recent disturbing discoveries and counsel from our lawyer, local animal advocates, and two local vets, we are not moving forward with our intentions to purchase and rehabilitate the property.  Instead, we are working to rehome as many dogs as possible by first getting them healthy and sociable. That means removing them from the shelter and having them vetted and fostered.

We are proud of the work we and other volunteers accomplished at the shelter to provide isolated recovery areas and care for the sick animals.  The team is very disheartened that we cannot help all the animals at the shelter at this time but will continue to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome the animals as we can. 

We currently have 11 dogs in our care and after attending to their needs we will post pictures of these beautiful souls in the hope of finding foster or permanent homes on the website. 

I understand that many of you will either have your hopes dashed or be ready to criticize our decision. My suggestion is to either keep it to yourselves or go to Anita's and see how you can help. Even though we are not taking it over, we still very much care about the animals still there and any future drop offs. You can contact Edelweiss, Anita's daughter or Doris, Anita's power of attorney, as I believe they are the responsible persons at this point. 

J Raschko

Humm  Lets see now. Your really low ball offer to Anita was refused. So you took all her books and the clothing she use to sell  and 11 more dogs cannot be account for. If you didn't own the property , how could you legally dispose of Anita's things?

So you are distancing yourself.   Who is doing the work to home these animals? They should have records updated.  Did you leave the dogs well groomed? Or are you just going to show off 11 dogs .

The criticism you received you brought upon yourself. If you had explained who you were what your plans were, people could understand/.  But you started with very unkind and undeserving and inaccurate statements about Anita's shelter. We are not stupid, most of us knew they were not true.. But the best part was your comments about euthanizing the animals. Many people here have rescued animals that sustained an injury. You always knew Anita would help until the animal was well. Now there is a big void!   If you were so concerned , why didn't you try advertising to see if there would be any others who might want to take over?

I am hoping that one of the long time volunteers can help us understand what is happening currently. During the last 10 years we adopted two beautiful sweet healthy pups from Anita's. This past Friday we had to put one of them to sleep which broke my heart, so this whole situation with Anita's is very emotional for me. Years ago we volunteered up at the shelter and more recently purchased food on a monthly basis. This is all very sad.

15 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

Humm  Lets see now. Your really low ball offer to Anita was refused. So you took all her books and the clothing she use to sell  and 11 more dogs cannot be account for. If you didn't own the property , how could you legally dispose of Anita's things?

So you are distancing yourself.   Who is doing the work to home these animals? They should have records updated.  Did you leave the dogs well groomed? Or are you just going to show off 11 dogs .

The criticism you received you brought upon yourself. If you had explained who you were what your plans were, people could understand/.  But you started with very unkind and undeserving and inaccurate statements about Anita's shelter. We are not stupid, most of us knew they were not true.. But the best part was your comments about euthanizing the animals. Many people here have rescued animals that sustained an injury. You always knew Anita would help until the animal was well. Now there is a big void!   If you were so concerned , why didn't you try advertising to see if there would be any others who might want to take over?

Amen.

Please remember that Edel has control of the bank and all PayPal account monies. There was a fair chunk of change and we don't know how much was transferred to the new group. The new team never set up a PayPal account. Anita never set up an A. C. because she felt the money was better spent on the animals. Bookkeeping was not a priority. There was and is no transparency.

20 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

I am utterly speechless.  The havoc that you have created - shamful is the only word that comes to my mind.  
Also -Assume a published accounting of the funds you collected for the shelter and how and to whom they were disbursed will be turned over to the person that now has power of attorney.

It is likely this type of negativism that wore the new folks down. Yes, Anita had a big heart but not necessarily the ability to do all she wanted. Could the transition team have been more diplomatic? Sure but shame on all of you who badgered these people out of doing a much needed service.

OK, there being nothing more to report from the transition team, and some pretty negative responses from some of the armchair QBs, I am going to close this thread with the suggestion that those who are so upset with the people who did try to help take it on yourselves to see what you can do.

Archived