Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone have any experience with giving prednisone therapy with their dog? I've been to three different vets and each suggested prednisone. My mascot does so much better on it I can't believe my eyes! Unfortunately. I started reading about the side effects and saw how much damage long term therapy does. She's older and I don't want her quality of life to be affected by pain. I'm conflicted. I've read almost all I can about steroid therapy. In the states it seems there are options before making the leap to prednisone. I get the feeling here it's the first choice. I put her on it originally for 7 days with the recommended gradual taper. When she was off. The next day she was back in pain. So I started another cycle hoping the arthritis was caused by a previous infection that has since passed. Any advice would be very much appreciated 

Our 11 year old has arthritis.  We give her a capsule daily Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM combination.  If she doesn't get this in a few days she is not able to get up on her feet without first rocking her body and she is in pain.  This worked on it's own until recently.  Now in addition we give her Trama Pet's Plus NRV which is a pain medication of Tramadol/Meloxicam.  We only have to give her 1/2 tablet every other or every third day depending on her pain ... you can tell by the look in her eyes and her activity and response time.  Wookie is under the care of Dra. Berenice.

However, one of our dogs that we lost a few months ago had a condition that only prednisone could help.  Dra. Berenice put him on it, gave him something that would help protect his liver, took samples every few weeks to see how it was affecting his liver and made necessary adjustments.  There were times she decided to reduce the medication but the symptoms were too severe and he would stop eating.  Without this medication he would not have lived as long as he did and he would have been in much pain.  With it, the years he had (about 3 years after starting to take it) were happy ones.  I miss him terribly but am glad he didn't have to suffer.

I have a 15 year old Corgi, and I give him daily Glucosamine/MSM combination and MSM powder. I have avoided prednisone because of the side effects. He is also on a RAW meat diet and I think that helps as well. He still runs (not fast you understand) and seems to feel pretty good.

Thanks. This is my first experience with the medication. It's just so wonderful how well she responded to it. I'm going to taper her off. Do you buy your tramadol through the vet or a people pharmacy?

She's eleven and I know she's getting up there in dog years.This is very recent and noticed right away when she couldn't keep up on the run. We've ran miles a day since she was a puppy. Even if I left work at midnight and had to be back 6 the next morning we always shared a nice run together. I picked her up at eight weeks. She'd go a block and tucker out. I'd just carry her the rest of the way. Eventually she was faster than me. Running is so much a part of her that it tears me apart she's not in my face before sun rise annoying me to get up. She's still a puppy in her mind. She still wants to run. But we can make a block. Maybe more on a good day. I definitely need her more than she needs me or I'd be in bed or staring at a wall. She's the get up and go.

Ive been lucky as she's never been sick a day in her life. I dread the vet. Unfortunately it's time we go. Thanks for the help

On 25-6-2017 at 1:20 PM, Wookie said:

Our 11 year old has arthritis.  We give her a capsule daily Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM combination.  If she doesn't get this in a few days she is not able to get up on her feet without first rocking her body and she is in pain.  This worked on it's own until recently.  Now in addition we give her Trama Pet's Plus NRV which is a pain medication of Tramadol/Meloxicam.  We only have to give her 1/2 tablet every other or every third day depending on her pain ... you can tell by the look in her eyes and her activity and response time.  Wookie is under the care of Dra. Berenice.

However, one of our dogs that we lost a few months ago had a condition that only prednisone could help.  Dra. Berenice put him on it, gave him something that would help protect his liver, took samples every few weeks to see how it was affecting his liver and made necessary adjustments.  There were times she decided to reduce the medication but the symptoms were too severe and he would stop eating.  Without this medication he would not have lived as long as he did and he would have been in much pain.  With it, the years he had (about 3 years after starting to take it) were happy ones.  I miss him terribly but am glad he didn't have to suffer.

Just pm d you.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than PM I am going to share two products to benefit the many dogs who cannot tolerate NSAIDs:

DGP (Dog Gone Pain) product: https://www.amazon.com/American-BioSciences-DGP-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B00076X0K4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1499374253&sr=1-1&keywords=dog+gone+pain (over 300 reviews on this link)  but more economical when bought on this link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041V9DZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  (more info on this product https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/9_5/features/Canine_Arthritis_15804-1.html )

Supplement: Actistatin for large dogs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T4NV7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Actistatin for small dogs is also available)

Archived