Chapala.com Webboard

AppleTV

It'll find your location eventually. No matter if you set it for US across the board. And I'm not aware of any vpn that is Apple TV friendly yet. It's great for streaming though. I bought the Apple 4 NOB. Works fine in Mexico.

if anyone has any vpn recommendations for the Apple TV let me know

12 minutes ago, vtarasov said:

Folks,

Does anyone here have an AppleTV? Does it work in Mexico? What channels are available?

By asking "what channels" it may be that you do not understand how AppleTV actually works/what AppleTV actually is.  (I apologize if this is not the case).

AppleTV is a 'media player' that attaches to your HD TV and your home Internet and facilitates your ability to stream certain content from a number of sources to your TV.  Sources such as Netflix, DirectTV Now, HBO Now, Showtime, YouTube, etc. etc.   As such it is not getting you any 'channels' in the old sense but rather helping you stream 'content.

Unless by channels the OP was referring to Netflix, Hulu, hbo go, DIrectTv ETC. Then then the Apple TV in my opinion the best and most user friendly media box on the market. NOB that is. Living in Mexico limits your "channel" options considerably. Most services are only available in the states. You'll be watching YouTube and Mexican Netflix. If you have an iPad or iPhone phone it's great for streaming to the big screen 

If your looking for something that is cheap, works in Mexico and hacks easy I'd look at the Amazon fire stick then add kodi

Along those lines, I just read this morning that Roku devices have been pulled for sale in Mexico due to the ease of hacking. Wish it was that easy for me, I already have 3 here.

A court order has blocked the sale of Roku devices in Mexico after cable provider Cablevision said that "they could be hacked to let users view pirated movies and TV shows." Roku boxes have been pulled from the shelves of department stores Liverpool and Palacio de Hierro. Banking institutions and convenience stores will also stop accepting payments to hackers who alter the device.

So...you're asking...??? What Apple TV apps work in Mexico??? Maybe someone else can help then. I only use a handful of available apps. If the app looks interesting I download it. If it doesn't work. I delete it. Appletv doesn't tell you before you download the app if it works in Mexico or not. It shows everything in the catalog. It's trial and error. 

8 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Along those lines, I just read this morning that Roku devices have been pulled for sale in Mexico due to the ease of hacking. Wish it was that easy for me, I already have 3 here.

A court order has blocked the sale of Roku devices in Mexico after cable provider Cablevision said that "they could be hacked to let users view pirated movies and TV shows." Roku boxes have been pulled from the shelves of department stores Liverpool and Palacio de Hierro. Banking institutions and convenience stores will also stop accepting payments to hackers who alter the device.

While they're at it maybe they should ban the sale of every piece of hardware that KODI can be run on. Let's see that would be devices with  Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS or Windows operating systems. Yep, that should do it!

ATV works well in Mexico.   I use a dedicated router that routes all ATV traffic through a US VPN.   With a NOB cable subscription one has access to all the cable verified apps like NBC, CBS, etc.   Paid services like Hulu and Netflix also need the VPN.   TV rights are unfortunately fragmented via country.  The VPN gets detected every now and then after which you wait a day or two for the VPNs outgoing IP to change up.   TV shows and Movies that are rented or purchased via ATV/iTunes works perfectly without a VPN.  Hope this helps.

19 hours ago, Bajabrady said:

It'll find your location eventually. No matter if you set it for US across the board. And I'm not aware of any vpn that is Apple TV friendly yet. It's great for streaming though. I bought the Apple 4 NOB. Works fine in Mexico.

if anyone has any vpn recommendations for the Apple TV let me know

4G AppleTV works great for me. I use UNBlockUS as a VPN. Get Hulu, Amazon Video, iTunes, Pandora, etc. Only problem is Netflix, which I am boycotting because of it's draconian legal attacks on VPNs.

I actually made it a point of finding a vpn for my Apple TV yesterday. I signed up for a free trial of expressvpn. It provides you with a dns manual setup configuration for the Apple TV  with the subscription  so I can pipe directly from the US. Netflix works from the states right from the app on the box. So I pushed it and signed up for Hulu live beta. Just Hulu on the box. It works like a charm. So now it's like having cable but cable from Kansas City. I get all local and network cable channels plus tons of sports and news. This is day one. I'll see how it works before I pay. Hulu live isn't cheap. It's around 39.99/month. But it's so much better than ustvnow that started dropping every three seconds once I started paying for it. I'm being careful not to add any zip codes or information that might conflict with hulus gps settings. I read if they catch on they'll ban you. So I'm not touching a thing. 

Archived