Chapala.com Webboard

driver's license renewal

We are going to renew a driver's license at la Plaza las Torres in Guadalajara.  Does anyone know when they are open?  What is the cost this year?  If we pay in Chapala is there a form that is needed?   The gov. website does not seem to be available!   thanks

These were some comments earlier by someone else. Hours aren't mentioned but you would  be safe between 9 & 3.

Here were the comments:

We did my husband's CHOFER license renewal in February at Plaza de Torres in Guad. Easy location -- exit Lazaro Cardenas at 8 de Julio (IMSS) exit, stay on lateral thru' the traffic light at the intersection, and immediately  go into underground parking (on right) for Plaza which is located on NW corner of that intersection.

Office is on second floor (stairs only). Guy at far back is first one you have to see, with all documents in hand. He will want   current license, proof of address (plus copies of all originals), INAPAM card (front and back) if you have one for 50% discount on price, may or may not ask for blood type lab report (I took it but he didn't care), and original and copy of ID. For us, that meant   Mexican IFE (voter) card since we're citizens. For non-citizens, either Residence card or passport (or take both to be sure).

If all OK, and IF the payment booth located right there is open,  you can take the slip of paper he gives you and proceed to pay on the spot. If closed, or computer is down (was that day), then you have to take the paper to the Banamex bank -- outside to front of mall, turn left and walk one block and then up to bank. ASK GIRLS INSIDE where they hand out "take-a-number" tickets how you can use the ATM machine to do the payment. (Saves waiting in line). In our case she did it for us! Cost without discount 558 pesos ---  so 279 with.

Once paid, go back upstairs in Plaza,  get a copy of the bank receipt (place right there) ,get documents from the man at back and take to the front area (security guard there). He will tell you when to step into turn, and you will be taken in for fingerprints, info, photo etc.   License will be spit out of machine promptly and security guy will hand it to you. Easy-peasy.

The office is on the second floor, above a "Subway" restaurant and where the Mall´s administrative offices are. There is underground parking at the ¨Plaza.¨The license place opens at 8:30 AM. You need originals and copies of...passport; Mexican FM or Inmigrado card;CURP; proof of residence e.g CFE or Telmex bill; your current driver´s license. You pay right there, after your documents are checked. There´s a 50% discount for seniors. Full price is approximately $540 pesos, but I don´t remember the exact amount. The process is..1. show your documents. 2. pay at the cashiers right next to the documents desk..3. go to the photo area and show documents again, then sign indicating that all the info on the pre-photo paper they give you is correct. 4. get the photo taken.  5. wait 10 to 15 minutes for your new license. There may be a line of people waiting at 8:30. based on my experience a few weeks ago, it might be better to arrive around 9-9:30.

When I renewed mine this past Monday, I had forgotten to bring my current license, so I said it was lost and had to fill out a form for them to locate my file (helps to know where you got the original license) and took a form to pay $45p. 

Thanks again Tom.  

My adopted grandson needs to get his first DL.  He'll have to take the written and driver's tests.  Can he do this at Plaza Torres?  Sounds like it would be easier than going to the main office which was absolutely crazy the last time I was there.

Also, are there best days/times to go?

Archived