Chapala.com Webboard

Charter Club Mexico City Christmas Tour

We're thinking of doing Mexico City over the holidays with the Charter Club Christmas tour.  This is a 9 day mostly inclusive tour.  The tour hotel is the Sheraton downtown.  It isn't cheap but seems to really hit the must see sites.  Current U.S. dollar equivalent is about $3100 for two people. 

If you've done this particular tour or if you have other options we should consider please post your observations here.  We don't want to attempt to do this visit on our own, just not comfortable with the idea at our ages.

Thanks very much!

I have been with Carlos and Rosie to Mexico at Christmas time.  We saw everything and they were with us the whole time.  The Sheraton is right across from the statue of Indepencia and also near the Zona Rosa district that is filled with stores and restaurants.  Charter Club is always 5 star.  Maybe a few more pesos, but well worth it.  Also you have a great Christmas dinner.  Everything is arranged for you and you don't have to do anything.

We did a week in Mex over Christmas a couple years ago. Didn't do a tour but just booked a hotel and took the hop on hop off buses to all the must see places (San Angel and Frieda Museum, Anthropological Museum, historical center, etc) , and booked a day tour to the pyramids and the Virgin of Guadalupe. The Sheraton is in a good location. The Zona Rosa area is just to the south and worth exploring. Restaurants worth a visit include Hunan, Pujol, La Moderna, Hacienda de los Morales. Took the bus there and flew home. 

Yes, I recommend it, we did this trip 2 years ago, and are going to book again for this Christmas.

Some people are able to catch buses' etc.,and organize everything by themselves, saving quite 

a bit of $$$, however, it's worth paying the extra for all that's included, minus the hassle.

We did this tour two years ago and it was amazing! Charter Club has conducted this Christmas tour for the past twenty five years. Charter Club will provide local professional tour guides  with a deep history of the area, in addition to Carlos and Rosie. The daily transportation and knowledge they provide would be hard to do on your own. If we were to do this Christmas tour again, and we just might, we would fly to Mexico City ( it's cheap) and take a cab to the hotel to avoid the 7 hour bus ride that does not provide much in the way of scenery. I think the cab ride from the airport is about 30 minutes. You will have one free day to explore on your own and we choose to visit the Carlos Slim art museum and found it amazing, free to everyone 7 days/week. Four of us got a cab from the hotel, 200 Pesos, cab back to the hotel, 40 Pesos, go figure.

4 hours ago, bmw1150rt said:

We did this tour two years ago and it was amazing! Charter Club has conducted this Christmas tour for the past twenty five years. Charter Club will provide local professional tour guides  with a deep history of the area, in addition to Carlos and Rosie. The daily transportation and knowledge they provide would be hard to do on your own. If we were to do this Christmas tour again, and we just might, we would fly to Mexico City ( it's cheap) and take a cab to the hotel to avoid the 7 hour bus ride that does not provide much in the way of scenery. I think the cab ride from the airport is about 30 minutes. You will have one free day to explore on your own and we choose to visit the Carlos Slim art museum and found it amazing, free to everyone 7 days/week. Four of us got a cab from the hotel, 200 Pesos, cab back to the hotel, 40 Pesos, go figure.

The exorbitantly high taxi price from the hotel is usually because one doesn't know that hotel cabs--the ones that are parked either in or near the hotel driveway--cost an arm and a leg.  Hence the 200 pesos.  Next time, walk a block away from the hotel and hail a cab on the street.  Or install Uber on your cell phone before leaving the GDL area and call for an Uber--very inexpensive and very secure.

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Once we get the lay of the land we might DIY on a second trip but the first time we just want to sit back and leave the arranging to someone else.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

If you have free time and are interested in a traditional food market tour in Mexico City, PM me, MC. :D 

Oh that sounds great for the free day!  Will try and remember to do this.

Next step is to get the approval of the Big Boss to sign up.  One week until she returns from the U.K.

I recall you posting there are some REAL Chinese food restaurants there.  This is a must!

9 hours ago, Jistme said:

Yes, I recommend it, we did this trip 2 years ago, and are going to book again for this Christmas.

Some people are able to catch buses' etc.,and organize everything by themselves, saving quite 

a bit of $$$, however, it's worth

We go to Mex & with our INAPAN card most all the museums are free.  The Metro is great & free as well.  We pick a hotel near a Metro stop.  Many offer great breakfasts included for far less that US hotel chains.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Oh that sounds great for the free day!  Will try and remember to do this.

Next step is to get the approval of the Big Boss to sign up.  One week until she returns from the U.K.

I recall you posting there are some REAL Chinese food restaurants there.  This is a must!

Yes yes yes!  Let me know when she gets back.

Archived