Chapala.com Webboard

Suggestions for Good-Cheap Lunch

Love_the_Thai

The Tacos Don Vic, on the lakeside of the Carretera just east of Juarez has the best crispy barbaocoa tacos. 

Also Sunrise Cafe just east of SuperLake, and just after the small topes.

50 minutes ago, Love_the_Thai said:

I'm looking to take a friend out for lunch and we're on a tight budget, but I'd like to not go to a roadside taco stand.  Any ideas?

Chile Verde next to the Police station in Ajijic, west side of the plaza.  Authentic Mexican food

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

The Tacos Don Vic, on the lakeside of the Carretera just east of Juarez has the best crispy barbaocoa tacos. 

Also Sunrise Cafe just east of SuperLake, and just after the small topes.

He always used to be on the Mt. side, did he move?  Always loved his tacos also. Most Saturdays I would order 20, to go, for the employees and he would always give me 2 gratis while I waited.

I 2nd Chili Verde and Goshas.  A Gosha's sandwich is big enough to share.  Add a SMALL cream of zucchini soup each and you'll be full.

58 minutes ago, tomgates said:

PM--used to be on the mountain side until Vic died, and his daughter ran it awhile there, then moved across the street.

Thanks, RIP Vic

It was always his granddaughter that helped run it and I made the mistake thinking she was the daughter but for all I know his daughter is now running it.

I guess it depends on whether you and your friend want Mexican food, which generally speaking is going to be less costly. Doña Lola's on the highway heading west over the hill past Aquiles Serdan and 5 de Febrero, on the lake side, and just before you get to Villa Nova (which is on the mountain side). Very big, airy, reasonably priced, and some of their dishes are perfect: sopa de Azteca and carne en su jugo. But I find places like Chile Verde overpriced, as there are other smaller places all over town that serve the same basic Mexican food for much less. One exception to the higher prices is definitely Gosha's, where 55p will get you a great turkey sandwich and a small bowl of soup. Gosha's is between the chicken place (Pollo Feliz) and Bruno's; it is on the lake side of the highway halfway through Ajijic (from either direction).

I vote for Doña Lola with their much larger selection and consistent quality.  I particularly miss their Huevos Motuleños for breakfast, but they would also be good for an economical lunch, as they contain meat and vegetables too.

13 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I guess it depends on whether you and your friend want Mexican food, which generally speaking is going to be less costly. Doña Lola's on the highway heading west over the hill past Aquiles Serdan and 5 de Febrero, on the lake side, and just before you get to Villa Nova (which is on the mountain side). Very big, airy, reasonably priced, and some of their dishes are perfect: sopa de Azteca and carne en su jugo. But I find places like Chile Verde overpriced, as there are other smaller places all over town that serve the same basic Mexican food for much less. One exception to the higher prices is definitely Gosha's, where 55p will get you a great turkey sandwich and a small bowl of soup. Gosha's is between the chicken place (Pollo Feliz) and Bruno's; it is on the lake side of the highway halfway through Ajijic (from either direction).

(I think the prices have changed recently. Best check that one out, but still very reasonable)  The half sandwich is very large; equal to a "regular" sandwich elsewhere.  The food is excellent.

Another one:  Gaucheria, across the side street from Panino's, at the end of a block of various shops on the lake side; east of the Superlake block.

Delicious everything: good value; outstanding desserts, too.

Closed Saturday and Sunday.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Yarboro said:

Just arrived back for Winter season, shocked to see Gaucheria boarded up.  This had quickly become one of our favorite restaurants in town. Anyone know what happened?

Apparently the good cheap lunch was too cheap so they lost a little on each sale but made it up in volume and that usually doesn't end well. 

In addition to great choices mentioned above Mario's in San Antonio is one of our favorites. On the street that runs just south of the plaza in the first block west of the plaza. Open for breakfast and lunch and I understand that are now open on Saturday and Sunday night beginning at 7pm.

Archived