Chapala.com Webboard

High-speed Internet in San Antonio

Hi, Whoever!  I need Internet high-speed enough to handle videoconferencing reliably. My wife and I have just purchased a home in El Parque, in San Antonio, and as of September we'll be there close to full time.  Our current TelMex Internet service apparently can't give us what we need in El Parque.  If I can't get it there, I might need to find an office to rent for a few hours per week (I'm running a leadership course by videoconference).  I understand that 4G cell service can give me the Internet speed that I need, but I don't know if any Mexican cell phone providers offer it for our area.  

Anyone have any ideas for us?  I would be grateful!

Telcel does provide 4G and it is quite fast and very expensive. I get 4G on my iPhone. Somewhere I saw someone posting that since October, s/he can't get it anymore. I just know that I can in Ajijic. El Parque is far enough away that you would use another tower. I presume, but do not know that it would be available there as well.

Thank you, Johanson!  I checked out a Telcel 4G coverage map, and it shows Ajijic, but not El Parque.  As I mentioned, one option might be to rent an office in Ajijic for the roughly 6-10 hours per week I'd need the service (spread out over different time slots), in case anyone has an idea about that ...

4G coverage is pretty spotty in the area, so you will really need to test the exact location out to know for sure.  You will need a good strong signal to have reliable high speed internet. Maybe someone living in El Parque will see this and can confirm for you.

Years ago I remember people in Baja California posting how the only way could get a cell phone signal was to use a two way exterior antenna.  I have no idea if there is such a thing and directional it could be so that you could point in the correct direction and not be canceled out by the closer and stronger tower that only offered 3G, not 4G

Archived