Chapala.com Webboard

Social Security Disability

Scooter62

Check with an attorney. I seem to remember that there is some little glitch. As far as Mexico is concerned, I don't think there is a problem. Do check to be sure there is no problem receiving the benefits outside the US.

Google says " One big question many people have is whether Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are paid to eligible people living outside the United States. You may be able to receive SSDI if abroad, but not SSI if you leave for 30 days or more.

I have received both SSDI then SSI while out of country. No problem. In fact, the SSDI morphed into SSI at the time that I would have begun receiving my SS payments at 65, if I had waited 'till full eligibility.

My SSDI was granted in the amount of my FULL SS payment... and that amount has not been changed. 

My SS payments come to my account in the US and I access them through my debit card, same as always.

Mexico only cares that you have enough $$ to meet the requirements. L

I have been permanently disabled since 1997, receive Social Security Disibility payment direct deposit in my MX bank and am permanente. Built a home in the State of Sonora and the one I now live in in Jalisco. Social Security is Social Security, money is money.

Archived