Chapala.com Webboard

Lonely Expats

My name is Amanda Wilson and I live in Ajijic.  I am retired, single, and lonely.  I am looking for others in my situation.  I was born with Aspergers so I have a difficult time making friends.  I have been here for five months now.  I would really like to meet new people and spend some quality time with them.  If you are interested in making a new friend, please email me at adw2011@live,com

I enjoy bicycling, wildlife photography and the outdoors but am open to new experiences.  My phone number is 984-131-7094.

Hi Amanda, may I make a suggestion? One of the best ways to make new friends is through volunteering.

You mention your photography hobby, there's also a photography club that meets weekly, or you could

mentor seniors who would like to improve their skills. Hope things work out for you.

• Like 4

I volunteer at The Ranch taking care of dogs.  I have also been to the LCS office.  I am trying to find others like myself who are lonely and want to meet new people.

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Maybe a visit to the local church  or temple of your choosing, and as suggested, look at the dozens of volunteer groups that suit your skills...

Seriously to be I am retired, single, and lonely. here is a rare breed.

Amanda mentioned that she has Asperger's Syndrome and doesn't make friends easily.  Maybe one or more of you who have responded would like to meet Amanda for coffee.

Amanda, I live in Mexico City so can't meet you.  Best wishes in making new friends at Lakeside!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Maybe a visit to the local church  or temple of your choosing, and as suggested, look at the dozens of volunteer groups that suit your skills...

Seriously to be I am retired, single, and lonely. here is a rare breed.

Seriously? A woman reaches out for our help, and you include that second sentence?

Amanda, best of luck. I am not single and I am not retired, and I hope you can connect with someone right here.  ... Mike

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Seriously? A woman reaches out for our help, and you include that second sentence?

Amanda, best of luck. I am not single and I am not retired, and I hope you can connect with someone right here.  ... Mike

Yes I misspoke , not reading the fully message, I apologize. Perhaps working with a professional therapist would help rather than reaching out to lay people?

• Sad 3

I'm stateside now, but looking forward to getting my temp visa and relocating finally. May not be GDL/Lakeside, but I agree with the respondents thus far. I was always well treated by Lakeside locals, and those participating in this forum have always been particularly helpful.  I like animals, and in fact I did volunteer at the local animal shelter, which is probably not located where it was years ago.  And don't forget that the Mexicans are always most approachable and, for the most part, eager to help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bob k said:

It was nice meeting you at LCS yesterday. Feel free to join me when ever you see me siting there. 

Wow, good for you, bob k. Sounds like you're about the only person who actually responded to this poster's simple request, rather than offer her a bunch of unsolicited, non-understanding, and in some cases, downright rude advice.

Amanda, I live in Sayulita, and though I am not particularly lonely, I would be happy to make your acquaintance if I lived Lakeside.  I know other people in Canada with Aspergers, and I know it's easier for them to relate one-on-one, rather than joining a singles club, for instance, with too much input all at once.

• Like 3

Amanda, I would like to meet you too, I would love for you to come and paint watercolor with my 18 students, as my guest, We are the No Stress School of Art, and have lots of fun, I talked to everyone, and they are interested in meeting You, I am going away tomorrow, will be back July 4th, PM me...Ken

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Amanda,

I enjoyed meeting you today at Black Coffee.  I'm also glad that my husband got to meet you briefly before he had to leave. You are a very articulate, intelligent and very interesting individual. I hope others in the community will contact you.

Until next time...

• Like 3

If there are any people who are lonely or just like taking pictures, I would love to meet with you.  I have been a wildlife photographer for a long time.  I can help people learn more about their cameras also.  I have had the chance to work with wild animals and travel to several countries.  I live in the village of Ajijic.  My email address is adw2011@live.com.  I look forward to meeting anyone who is interested in photography.  I am including a picture of myself.

10655436_942669072481564_955121301698355286_o.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 9:21 PM, lakeside7 said:

Yes I misspoke , not reading the fully message, I apologize. Perhaps working with a professional therapist would help rather than reaching out to lay people?

Loneliness is not a mental illness.  It's loneliness, an absence of human connections. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I am planning to spend at least 4 months in Ajijic/Lake Chapala next year, 2021.  In 2019 I visited San Miguel de Allende for about 6 months and enjoyed it.  I have been considering moving/retiring in Mexico and thought I should visit a few places.  I am single and want to be around people.  So I would like to get involved while I am there.  But with this Covid thing all sort of changes are going on.  I live in the mountains of California so not as crazy as the cities.  Anyway, do you have suggestions on how to prepare and where to start when I arrive?

Your possible friend,

Mark Crum