Chapala.com Webboard

La Taverna Dei Quattro Mori

Wookie

We decided to try this restaurant one more time.  Never again.  We ordered Spaghetti Pomodoro which was advertised to be spaghetti with tomatoes and olive oil.  We have had this dish several places in the past and were expecting to have fresh tomatoes cut up fine and tossed with the spaghetti and olive oil.  What we were served was spaghetti with tomato sauce that tasted to be right out of a can.  If there was any olive oil present it was a few drops at the most.  When we discussed this with who we think was the manager, he knew exactly what we were talking about and just said "sorry" and brought the check.  I am still "tasting" that tomato sauce and wishing I had just sent it back and left.  We explained to him that the menu does not say "sauce" ... it describes it very clearly as tomatoes and olive oil .... sorry.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never had the pleasure of meeting the owner, so I can't speak for his attitude. But over the years and the location change, I have found the food to be hit or miss. I would occasionally return hoping to get a dish prepared the same as time I really enjoyed it. Eventually I lost hope. Too bad, when they were firing on all cylinders , they did a nice job. 

5 hours ago, zerbit said:

I never had the pleasure of meeting the owner, so I can't speak for his attitude. But over the years and the location change, I have found the food to be hit or miss. I would occasionally return hoping to get a dish prepared the same as time I really enjoyed it. Eventually I lost hope. Too bad, when they were firing on all cylinders , they did a nice job. 

Meeting the owner would definitely not have been a pleasure!  He is the king of rudeville.

17 hours ago, El Menudo said:

Meeting the owner would definitely not have been a pleasure!  He is the king of rudeville.

I heard all of that about Giuliani when we moved here 12 years ago.  I found him to be a delightful guy.  Maybe a little quirky e.g. he won't give diners hot sauce or ketchup to put on their pizza.  We've always had good food and service there.

Since when did being in the minority on a restaurant thread make any difference? He likes the place, good for him and El Saltos. Should they be shamed for being "in the minority"?  Sheesh!

The owners are at the new restaurant and hardly ever visit. Arguing is a national sport in Italy. Take that in consideration when talking to guiliani.  G had his standards and wasn't about to see Maria's food ruined by hot sauce or catsup. He eventually gave up on cheese on fish dishes and allowed sauce with fried calamari, so he isn't impossible.The waiter is now managing the place and can be lax. He just needs a tune up now and then. it is still the only place on the Ribera where you get hand made pasta AND an authentic sauce!

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Since when did being in the minority on a restaurant thread make any difference? He likes the place, good for him and El Saltos. Should they be shamed for being "in the minority"?  Sheesh!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to shame tomgates.  I was just making a factual observation.

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

The owners are at the new restaurant and hardly ever visit. Arguing is a national sport in Italy. Take that in consideration when talking to guiliani.  G had his standards and wasn't about to see Maria's food ruined by hot sauce or catsup. He eventually gave up on cheese on fish dishes and allowed sauce with fried calamari, so he isn't impossible.The waiter is now managing the place and can be lax. He just needs a tune up now and then. it is still the only place on the Ribera where you get hand made pasta AND an authentic sauce!

Any restaurant that tells me what I must add to any dish or what I can't put on a meal that I am paying for can take a good look at my rear end because it won't be coming through that door again.

Now if I'm at your house.,....

Two years ago I was there with some friends for lunch. I asked the waitress if they could please add a grilled chicken breast to a large salad that was on the menu. She reacted a bit on the negative side, so I asked if she could check with the chef, the manager, whomever. She left, returned and said it was possible. When I got my bill, they had charged me 120 pesos for that naked, unaccompanied chicken breast. I swore off the place after that. Unfortunately, I had to return there once because of an impromptu celebratory meal with some friends.

I'm glad they have enough clientele to keep going, because I just do NOT understand a restaurant that doesn't at least try to willingly accommodate patrons' wishes and dietary needs.

Italian food?  Authentic?   Not at that place; not even close!  Not even up to Italian-American home-cooked standards.  If they are capable of accomplishing that cuisine, they certainly don‘t seem to care to try.

His son, Alejandro, did much better with his pizzas, when he went out on his own and opened the “yellow house“ location, but finally lost his friendly manner too, and left the area.  He also made good pasta dishes, in addition to pizza.

Whenever I go to an “Italian restaurant“ for the first time, I always order spaghetti and meatballs.  Only a few can pass the test in either Mexico or much of the USA.  I was spoiled, terribly, by a Sicilian mother-in-law for too many years.  She started her sauce for Sunday on Wednesday afternoon, and tended it constantly as it developed unbelievable depth of flavors. 

Enough of that, or I will salivate into the keyboard........

In the US most italian restaurants get bulk supplies from Roma. They do not exist in Mexico and the only authentic component available here is tomatoes.A Sicilian cook wouldn't recognize a Amalfi coast cook. These folks are from Livorno another breed again. I stand by my statement - only authentic Italian pasta and sauce on the Ribera. 

Archived