Chapala.com Webboard

Superlake ????

19 hours ago, tomgates said:

Lots of fresh veg's yesterday. Best corn outside the US in the 3-pack. Nothing new as far as I can tell.

That sweet corn in the three-pack is grown in the states of Guanajuato and Querétaro.  Here it is unpackaged, about 2 weeks ago in a huge mountain in the Pátzcuaro municipal market.

Pátzcuaro Elote Dulce Guanajuato 1.jpg

On 2017-06-17 at 5:03 PM, windstar said:

Has anyone noticed a difference in Superlake during the past couple weeks?  No more Saturday tastings.  Veggie dept is poorly stocked with old veggies.  Fewer staff.  What's happening??

I noticed it last week in the produce section. Actually mouldy grapefruit, old apples, and I went to Walmart looking for better stuff which has never happened before 

For the past few Saturdays I've bought paella from a woman bringing it in fully prepared from her restaurant in Guad and kept hot on hot plates. Very good and she's very pleasant. I think these vendors come and go.

I haven't noticed fewer staff. When the veggies look worn out or depleted, I figure I'm there on the wrong day. Fresh stuff shows up soon. Just be sure to move out of the way of those guys unloading the delivery trucks and carrying in the heavy sacks. You could easily get run over.

I think SL is a winner and Tony aims to please.

Lexy

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

I am not sure if it is "sweet corn" as is found in the US in the summer. That said, it is very tender, young corn, field or otherwise.

This is exactly what is found in the USA in the summer.  Try it.  No elote (the tender, young corn as you describe it in the quote here) is as tender and sweet as this mature corn.  This variety is a USA open-pollinated yellow hybrid, Zea mays convar. saccharata var. rugosa.

Actually, an associate and I have been invited to Baja California at the end of July, to give a 10-day series of sponsored conferences about native Mexican corns and ancient pre-conquest sustainable farming techniques.  Despite the fact that corn originated in Mexico, certain hybrids (including Zea mays convar. saccharata var. rugosa) were hybridized (and continue to be further hybridized) in the United States.  This particular hybrid originated in the state of Illinois.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2016/10/corn-an-ancient-gift-from-mexico-to-feed-the-world.html

9 hours ago, Lexy said:

For the past few Saturdays I've bought paella from a woman bringing it in fully prepared from her restaurant in Guad and kept hot on hot plates. Very good and she's very pleasant. I think these vendors come and go.

I haven't noticed fewer staff. When the veggies look worn out or depleted, I figure I'm there on the wrong day. Fresh stuff shows up soon. Just be sure to move out of the way of those guys unloading the delivery trucks and carrying in the heavy sacks. You could easily get run over.

I think SL is a winner and Tony aims to please.

Lexy

It's Pancho that aims to please!

18 minutes ago, HarryB said:

And thank god Mexico has banned GMOs!

Since the door has been opened to trade wars in the Americas, Mexico has entered into new corn trade agreements with Brazil and Argentina, (owned by the Monsanto lobbyists).  Iowa is sucking wind.

2 hours ago, nothernewbie said:

What's the difference between hybridized and GMO?

Hybridizing is a process that occurs naturally.  GMO is genetic manipulation of an organism in a laboratory.

Please read:
https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/hybrid-seeds-vs-gmos

I've noticed over the past couple of months. Sad, wilted veg. Understocked in produce and dairy dept. Outdated goods, I've been throwing away lots of things from hummus to produce to cookies. Prices have soared. Stocking occurs at prime shopping hours, blocking aisles. I'm patronizing little local abarotes for fruit and veg, Walmart (god help me) for other goods.

I don't know why they even stock local produce or dairy stuff.  SuperLake is the place you go to buy imported and expensive stuff a lot of it bought at Costco and resold there.  It is a gringo convenience store.

The best produce is at the local tianguis and then WalMart.  The best place to buy dairy is wherever it is turning over the most and I suspect that is WalMart as well.  They have more modern cooling equipment as well, very important for dairy.

If we go to Superlake more than once every 3 months I'd be surprised.  After 9 years my wife has gotten very good at buying the local Mexican branded stuff for a lot less.  We get our import fix at Costco, again about every 3 months.

Archived