Chapala.com Webboard

SMS

How many of you use SMS a major means of communications? I.e. you send more than a single message per week? Do you use your US/CA number or local MX? Do you communicate with local MX numbers or mostly back home?

I am working on a fun pet project and was wondering if it would be useful for anyone here.

If Travis is kidding us, I love; it if he would like to learn more about this app, ask Mr. Google or maybe someone here who regularly use this money saving app would like to explain it

Whatsapp is text messaging on steroids. You can include photos, videos, send a recorded voice message, or even have a phone call with someone who also has it. One on one messaging or in groups. Very versatile. And it's free. Every Mexican friend of mine uses it. Some foreigners also. I use it all the time.

yes it is the best..most of my Mexican contacts use it, those who have a phone who can get this app... it is so much better than SMS.. Whatsapp has really cut down on my phone calls.. It can be a pain because  I have it in Spanish and use it in French and in English so the wors keeps getting changed as you type but after a while you et used to it and  you use it all the time. I use it a lot wuth artisans.. take pictures of their work and send them to buyers, , A lot of bussiness is done that way.

It bugs me when people keep saying that WhatsApp is free. It is not free- it uses data. If you have an unlimited data plan, then I guess it doesn't matter, but not everyone does. In my case, living where there are no phone lines, therefore no modem, therefore having to get my internet connection thru cellular signal, it would eat through my data limit quite quickly.

People keep telling me I should get WhatsApp, it's free! When I explain my data ,situation, tell them that with my Sin Limites I can call and text for an unlimited amount of time to anywhere in the US, Canada, or Mexico for 100 pesos for 21 days, they end up admitting that there would be no advantage to me getting WhatsApp.

36 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

People keep telling me I should get WhatsApp, it's free! When I explain my data ,situation, tell them that with my Sin Limites I can call and text for an unlimited amount of time to anywhere in the US, Canada, or Mexico for 100 pesos for 21 days, they end up admitting that there would be no advantage to me getting WhatsApp.

WhatsApp is also included in Mexico and the US in the sin limites plan.

I agree WhatsApp is great. You can also use it to make video calls. The only problem is that the other party must have a smartphone with WhatsApp installed. This is true of most of the "intelligent" messengers.

SMS, however, works with any cellphone, smart or dumb. So it's useful if you have someone's number, but no idea of what apps they have installed.

WhatsApp happily uses WiFi. And as pointed out, you get a great deal of free data time for WhatsApp on any TelCel paquete. As to the comment that it is not free because it collects data... well, that's one viewpoint.

13 hours ago, mudgirl said:

There are no Wifi signals where I live that aren't private and I would never use a public Wifi, as I have been told it is not secure.

You can can get Telmex to supply WiFi via infinitum movil free which is  available at most public places. Just register you account and get a password to use on the system. It is included in your cost of your phone line and Internet price.

http://telmex.com/web/asistencia/hogar-conectate-a-wifi-movil-en-infinitum

Local Locations:

http://telmex.com/web/buscador?q=&output=xml_no_dtd&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&client=_nuevo_telmex_lugares&proxystylesheet=_nuevo_telmex_lugares&entqr=3&entqrm=0&ud=1&getfields=*&site=sitios_wifi&filter=0&requiredfields=estado%3AJalisco.(ciudad%3AChapala|localidad%3AChapala)&giro=Mostrar+todo&estado=15&ciudad=208

This is more secure than the OPEN WiFi you can acquire at public places. However security is a matter of degree, if all you are looking at is the weather and some news then it really doesn't matter. I would not advise doing this for your banking. Do this only at home.

WhatsApp is actually more secure than your email since it is encrypted, end to end. No one is getting anything on this. It also allows you to check if the message was actually read by the recipient.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/internet/how-secure-is-whatsapp-whatsapp-security-encryption-explained-3637780/

This is a actually a serious issue for the police and security authorities since all the "bad guys" know their communication is free from any interference.

Archived