Chapala.com Webboard

Airline to Mexico??

wili1943

I'm about to purchase airline tickets for our trip to Mexico to check out our new home . Alaska airline doesn't have any flights that have good departure/arrival times and long total flight hours. Aeromexico looks really good as far as everthing having to do with cost, flight times, etc, but  how do they treat their passengers?  We're flying out of Portland,OR and have to change planes in LA, so its going to be a long flight. Are we going to be shoehorned into our seats, given no refreshments and regret not flying Alaska? I'm old, please give me your honest opinion. Thank you....

Alaska has a good itinerary, 1 transfer in San Jose going down and 1 in LAX on the return. American and United fly that route and you can pay a little more for upgraded seats.

I just came back from Portland. Bought a ticket on Aeromexico because of the price. . Alaska was the code share airline so flew from Portland to LAX. Alaska flight was wonderful. Plenty of room. Arrived Terminal 6 in LAX and had to go to Terminal 2 . Take the shuttle as it is a 45 minute hike between terminals. The Aeromexico flight was disappointing as they were using older 737 and had very little room. It was a rather uncomfortable 2 and a half hour flight. I found Volaris to have better spacing and leg room. Even though Volaris leaves around midnight, it is a direct flight so not too bad. 

I have seen some great reviews by some about Volaris, and bad reviews by just as many, Like changing schedules and not alerting travelers etc,

Their prices are great. And they go nonstop to some to many cities that other airlines do not. 

My POST was neither a recommendation nor a put down. I am just wondering myself what others think as Volaris is the only airline that go nonstop between GDL and my destination up north, Seattle. I would love some more feedback.

18 hours ago, wili1943 said:

I'm about to purchase airline tickets for our trip to Mexico to check out our new home . Alaska airline doesn't have any flights that have good departure/arrival times and long total flight hours. Aeromexico looks really good as far as everthing having to do with cost, flight times, etc, but  how do they treat their passengers?  We're flying out of Portland,OR and have to change planes in LA, so its going to be a long flight. Are we going to be shoehorned into our seats, given no refreshments and regret not flying Alaska? I'm old, please give me your honest opinion. Thank you....

If it were me, I'd get a flight from Portland to LA on whatever least-expensive airline will get you there.  Then fly INTERJET (http://www.interjet.com.mx) from LA direct to Guadalajara.  Interjet is worlds better than Volaris: the planes are new, the legroom is great, and the lowest price (I just checked--one way, one person LA to GDL) is $193.00 USD.  If you have more than 25 kilos of luggage per person, there are low-cost options for bringing more.  

7 hours ago, johanson said:

I have seen some great reviews by some about Volaris, and bad reviews by just as many, Like changing schedules and not alerting travelers etc,

Their prices are great. And they go nonstop to some to many cities that other airlines do not. 

My POST was neither a recommendation nor a put down. I am just wondering myself what others think as Volaris is the only airline that go nonstop between GDL and my destination up north, Seattle. I would love some more feedback.

Pete...just flew Volaris to Seattle on Thursday. Brought 7 dogs from the Ranch that were picked up by a shelter on San Juan Island. All dogs doing great. As for the flight..best part it was nonstop, left at 540pm and arrived ontime at 9pm. I usually try to fly American via Phoenix as I'm a retiree and fly free on standby. I have to say nonstop is nice. Volaris return is an overnight. No thanks. Going home Tuesday on AA 

Thanks for the tip Joyfull, I was thinking of doing the same thing flying north on Volaris and on AA  going south

I usually have taken  UA north and back on AA to Guad. I liked their schedules better. I think I will try Volaris the next time I head to Seattle. But like you, I will not take an overnight flight back

2 hours ago, More Liana said:

If it were me, I'd get a flight from Portland to LA on whatever least-expensive airline will get you there.  Then fly INTERJET (http://www.interjet.com.mx) from LA direct to Guadalajara.  Interjet is worlds better than Volaris: the planes are new, the legroom is great, and the lowest price (I just checked--one way, one person LA to GDL) is $193.00 USD.  If you have more than 25 kilos of luggage per person, there are low-cost options for bringing more.  

Volaris site has Portland to Guadalajara right now for $2,710 pesos on several dates in July and August. Some for $2,377 pesos. About $150.00 USD.

Volaris usually beats Interjet if you are not in a hurry to travel and check daily for the seat sales. My friend  went from CDMX to LAX, Los Angeles´ main airport, return last month for $150.00 USD on Volaris.

10 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

Volaris site has Portland to Guadalajara right now for $2,710 pesos on several dates in July and August. Some for $2,377 pesos. About $150.00 USD.

Volaris usually beats Interjet if you are not in a hurry to travel and check daily for the seat sales. My friend  went from CDMX to LAX, Los Angeles´ main airport, return last month for $150.00 USD on Volaris.

The difficulties with with Volaris include (a) extra charge for choosing a seat, (b) serious luggage restrictions and extra charges, (c) hours-late departures, etc.  Most recently a flight from GDL to CDMX left GDL over two hours late.  Friends have experienced last-minute flight cancellations with no consideration for replacement flights.  At one time, I booked a ticket per Volaris instructions.  At the airport, the airline refused to honor the ticket I had paid for.  Volaris refused to reimburse me for the ticket.  They refunded the ticket price only after I contacted PROFECO.  

When Carlos Slim owned 25% of Volaris, the airline was reliable with good service.  The minute he sold his shares, service and response plummeted.  

IMO, any and all low fare airlines Mexico and the US are going to have their problems... sometimes major. I've flown Volaris non-stop from Denver to GDL several times over the last few years including a month ago with no problems. You do have to pay extra to not sit on the wings and take any luggage!  :o I also have flown Interjet and prefer them but they don't fly to Denver.

On 6/17/2017 at 7:43 PM, johanson said:

Thanks for the tip Joyfull, I was thinking of doing the same thing flying north on Volaris and on AA  going south

I usually have taken  UA north and back on AA to Guad. I liked their schedules better. I think I will try Volaris the next time I head to Seattle. But like you, I will not take an overnight flight back

Would you consider taking some dogs on your ticket? You never lift the dogs themselves. It's just having them attach d to your tocletmso they are considered your excess baggage. Then is SEA you just show the health forms (which the Ranch gets) the papers are given to you at GDL when you leave. Show them to a customs agent when you walk out. Tell him they are rescues tat are going to Friday Harbor. It's so easy and satisfying to know you are making a difference in these dogs lives. 2 of the 7 I broughton Thursday night have already been adopted.  

So Petr, if you do fly Volaris to SEA and would concoder doing this you would need to talk to Syd Sullins who heads up the Ranch. The dogs only go Volaris as it's a nonstop. Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday 

Volaris flies non-stop from Portland to Guadalajara. We had great experiences with them though the prices are going up. As a gringo, the lines are much shorter. There were only 3 gringos on our flights and virtually everything is in Spanish.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:35 PM, More Liana said:

To do this I believe you would have to reclaim luggage in LAX and then take it to the Interjet counter to check it in, which could be in a different terminal and require standing in line again to check in.  

I fly the GDL-PDX route a lot and usually do it on Volaris because I appreciate the nonstop flight, even if the return flight is overnight.  While Alaska's overall service is better and you do get one checked bag free, you have to leave PDX much earlier in the evening and connect in LAX or SJC.  And you only arrive at GDL about one hour earlier than on Volaris.  And I believe the flight out of GDL to PDX is very early, like 6:00 or 7:00 AM so you have to be at the airport at 0-dark-30.   

If you plan to travel often to the U.S., join Volaris' V-Club to get lower fares and special offers.  If you are a temporary or permanent resident choose the option of having a Mexucan passport so you won't be charged the tourist fee.  Other airlines, like Alaska, don't seem to know how to refund this fee to you.

Archived