Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajara to Austin via bus line

Does anyone have specific information on how to do this?  I have tried various bus sites and although I know some must go into Texas I haven't been able to find a way to that info on the sites.  Thanks for any suggestions.

A few years back I went one way on both Turimex and Omnibus to Austin and San Marcos.  About 22 hrs.  The bus station in Austin was a dump in Southeast Austin on Airport blvd, hope you do not arrive at night.  I think the bus lines reserve about 6 seats for DIF card holders. Google their US site phone numbers.  I just looked at the Turimex site and they have routes that leave Guad at around 5:15 pm.

Better to go to San Marcos in my opinion, or better yet to fly, nowadays the price is about the same with the exchange rate and Volaris flies to Austin, a 2 hr flight.  Whatever works for you.

Sadly, there are no luxury buses going across the border from here. You can catch an ETN to the U.S. border, and that is well-advised, because they are so much more comfortable than lines like Turimex.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sadly, there are no luxury buses going across the border from here. You can catch an ETN to the U.S. border, and that is well-advised, because they are so much more comfortable than lines like Turimex.

CG, is the operative word here "TO" the border?  And not 'INTO the US'?  Does not one have to somehow get from the Mexican border town to the corresponding US border town other than ride that bus across?

If you have a smart phone download a free app called Rome2Rio. You enter 2 locations and it shows you all kinds of ways to make the journey and has links to all the various providers. Very fun.

Personally I rather ride a bus than fly to the US because I am in no hurry to arrive and I enjoy the conversation and friendship of the Mexicans.  On a plane it is different.  In a hurry and on gringo time, then fly.  I don´t think about the cost difference too much, more so the experience of the trip.

I did it by bus many years ago. I remember having to change buses in Monterrey to one that went up to Austin. And, as Kiko said, they dropped us off on the side of the highway in some god forsaken place in the middle of nowhere where there were no taxis, a closed butcher shop and and closed grocery store. Those were the days before smart phones, and even not that many folks had cell phones. We had to walk blocks to find a pay phone to call a cab.

17 hours ago, RickS said:

CG, is the operative word here "TO" the border?  And not 'INTO the US'?  Does not one have to somehow get from the Mexican border town to the corresponding US border town other than ride that bus across?

Yes, only TO the border. I took a Turistar into Laredo, because the ETN does not go into the U.S., and that was a HUGE mistake. Almost unbearably uncomfortable. So to come back I had a taxi drive me across into Nuevo Laredo to the bus station. The ETN was like heaven compared to the Turistar going up. Of course, it added $50 to my cost, but I had considerable luggage and didn't feel like walking across.

When I go by bus, I just get on the bus in Guad, off at Laredo to go through customs, back on the bus (at the same location) and get off in East Austin, where family picks me up. A long ride and night stops in small places, so not a very fun trip, but we made it ok. Think I paid about $110 one way.

A few years ago I took a Bus (Omnibus, I believe) to Houston from the Central de Autobus location in Guadalajara. It was plenty comfortable for me. Just remember to bring a travel pillow and have a light blanket or light jacket handy as they do crank up the A/C. I think it was about $100 USD one-way.

Why do you keep pushing square pegs into round holes?? Flights are the same price as bus fares. That was the whole business premise when Volaris was founded and is still the case. 

I know several people who take the bus into Texas, primarily Dallas.  I just wondered how difficult it might be to get to Austin.  It is more difficult than I am willing to go thru to get there.  It however took me a couple tries to find the $300 RT flights on the days I wanted to travel.  Thanks all.

flights can be cheaper than buses if you plan right.. It cost 1400 pesos to go to San Cristobal de las casasand I pay between 900 and 1200 by plane...if I get an expenseive flight it is 2000 pesos or  600 pesos more than the bus and 12 hours less travel time. no matter what the plane wins.

Archived