Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart new hours

I have heard from some of the locals that the workers at Walmart are paid very poorly, ie very low wages. I have no idea about the accuracy of these comments.

EDIT: Thank you Pappysmarket. I left about four words out of my short post

10 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Just keep in mind that when you shop at Walmart, you feed a corporation. When you shop at a mom and pop store, you feed a family. Just saying.

WM also help's provide jobs (with benefits)  for other people. People who would not otherwise have an income. I wonder how many Mom and Pop shops make tax returns. The large corporations are more regulated and , I suggest, are more likely to pay taxes.

What the government does with that money is debatable 

Isn‘t  Walmart de Mexico the largest employer in the country?  There must be a reason why so many apply for work there. It is probably very good entry-level employment with some level of training.  It can‘t be all bad, can it?

Thank you for all your comments. You are all correct.

Yes full time employees NOB have a benefits (not sure about Mexico). It would be interesting to know the ratio between full time and part time employees working for Wallmart.

Yes I have no doubt that taxes are not paid by mom and pop stores. On the flip side they are not a burden to welfare and they do not need to park there kids in day care centers. I believe welfare is a huge financial drain NOB. Mexico from what I can see provides very little in terms of a safety net. One that springs to mind is Seguro Popular. Also I am surprised at the number of Gingos/Expats/Snow Birds who are signed up to this program and use it. It is designed for those who otherwise could not afford health care.

Yes they could always open there own Abarote. That require money. I doubt that Wallmart wages will ever enable employees to rise out of poverty.

Yes many Mexican shop at Wallmart. Its a one stop shop for the new middle class.

What surprises me is the Wallmart in San Antonio was granted an operating license which did not include entry and exit control. I pickup kids from school Monday to Friday and the mayhem I witness with drivers trying to enter or exit is to say the least chaotic.

Yes I occasionally shop at Wallmart. My latest purchase were large storage bins.

Yes I shop at Costco mainly for dog food.

No I no longer shop at Home depot because I realized that the local hardware stores carried all the same stuff. I just use google translate for an item I need and on occasion also draw a sketch.

NOB  many small town centers are dead. VIVA the big box shopping experience. I guess it is a matter of time before Mexicans also stop smiling.

By the way this is just my personal opinion so please do not take my comments personally.

I have been reading this board for many years and many time interesting facts popup.

Soon, NoB, we can even sell our cars, as Amazon has bought Whole Foods & delivery may soon follow....oops, Amazon Fresh already does that, as does Safeway. Drones and/or driverless cars will be the next delivery vehicles and taxis.  If you ever see another human, you will probably panic; or draw your mail-order semi-automatic.  It is a strange new world.   :wacko:

We no longer need cash, brick and mortar stores are failing; even the big names that we have known all our long lives.  Online shopping is quicker & often less expensive.  The only drawback is that UPS & others just drop the package at your door and run.  Some of their trucks are routinely followed by thieves, requiring that you beat them to your doorstep.  Even mail is routinely stolen these days.  In a rare exception, a neighbor recently found over $250.00, in singles, in and blowing around his mailbox.  We think a thief had to ditch his loot quickly; stuffed it into the nearest mailbox, missing some, and ran off.  It is getting stranger and stranger.......

On 6/20/2017 at 2:34 PM, HoneyBee said:

I just use google translate for an item I need and on occasion also draw a sketch.

Yep. My Spanish does not include some odd hardware items and going in and asking if they have that "chingalara thingy" doesn't always get the desired results! <g> I have even printed the picture of a tool to bring with me.

14 minutes ago, Aquaponicsman said:

Yep. My Spanish does not include some odd hardware items and going in and asking if they have that "chingalara thingy" doesn't always get the desired results! <g> I have even printed the picture of a tool to bring with me.

Try "chingadera".

And I think a lot of Mexicans are not educated or worldly enough to know that big box stores, OXOs, etc. eventually end up killing local businesses. And the educated middle and upper class don't care because they don't run little abarotes stores.

When I was building my house years ago, I quickly realized that the small hardware stores and Mom and Pop appliance stores had much better prices than Home Depot or other big box stores. And once they get to know you from repeat business, they even start to give you discounts or free delivery.

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I don't know about the US, but in Canada, I have read that Walmart purposely hires part-time so they don't have to pay any benefits.

The labor laws in Mexico are very strong.  US Walmart can hire part-time employees and not pay benefits, Mexico Walmart cannot get away with that.  The law requires that they are enrolled in IMSS which provides Medical Insurance, retirement, and even a special saving plan to help people eventually buy their own home.

Archived