Chapala.com Webboard

Share your experience with schools in Chapala/Ajijic

Marcia

Hi everyone, my husband and I have been thinking about moving to Chapala area. We love the place, my only concern is finding a good school for my 2 year old daughter, she's not going to daycare. But before moving, I want to be sure there are school options for my little one. I saw there is an International Institute that seems promising, any experience there? Anyone tried Montessori? What about elementary school?

Terra Nova has all the grades and there is an elementary school with a Nahuatl name right below them as well. So there are two private schools in that same area. I have several friends with kids  in Terra Nova and they are happy with their kids being there. ANother friend preferred the elementary school below Terra Nova to Terra Nova...

We live in downtown Chapala and have been here for seven years and we are raising our two American born children down here.  Our boy was 8 when we first came down and we decided to put him in an all Mexican private school where virtually no one spoke English.  We wanted him to be immediately immersed in the culture and language.  We put him in Colegio Chapala which is a Carmelite school.  We felt that if we placed him in the private schools in Ajijic like Terranova or Loyola where there are many English speaking and American kids there he would have latched on to them and would have learned Spanish much slower.  It worked out great because he picked it up in about 6 months and built a large friend network of Mexican kids his age all over Chapala. He is now 14 and spent his first 4 years in Colegio Chapala leaning Spanish and is currently enrolled in Loyola doing great there too.  His little sister is 5 and we have been sending her to Maria Montessori since she was 1 so she could learn the language and make friends.  We have been very happy with the school and she loves going there.

Archived