Chapala.com Webboard

Trash Report from Municipal attorney and Ajijic Delegado

HarryB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Ferret said:

They do because I wanted to know if I was wasting my time. And, if I remember correctly, Mudgirl lives in Sayulita so her recycling depot is of no use to us.

Yes, Ferret, that is correct. Would love to have curbside pickup, but I don't even have garbage pickup where I live- have to take it all away myself.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:13 AM, Ferret said:

The point being that separation of garbage would greatly improve the speed with which the trucks can pick up the "smellies"

This is not going to happen through a government office. Chapala tried a trash separation program 2 or 3 years ago by putting up notices in a few places about what colors of bags to use for which type of garbage but there was total confusion as to what was intended so nothing happened.  There is almost no governmental infrastructure for this kind of thing.  Yes, there is a municipal "office of the environment". But almost nothing is initiated or accomplished here.  (I know firsthand.)  Any campaign having to do with trash separation would have to be initiated by the expats.  First, in the Mexican community, people in Chapala can`t afford to buy bags for this purpose.  Second, it is completely contrary to tradition so a long, expensive campaign of education would have to be initiated first.  There currently is no one in public office willing to initiate this campaign.

So, the program would have to start in the expat community through newspaper and magazine articles and notices, notices posted in restaurants, etc., door to door campaign, etc., anywhere to to get the word out.  First, of course a system would have to be agree upon, i.e., black bags for unredeemable trash, blue for recyclables, etc.  (Yard waste can be left at corners designated for that.)   A great idea on many fronts - faster pickup because the basuleros would not have to spend as much time sorting through trash, happier basuleros because they would be retrieving more cash product from the trash and there would be less recyclables hidden in the trash bags meaning less trash deposited in the landfill.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, mudgirl said:

compost.....  I have a proper bin, with 2 separated sides, built with red brick (it's actually quite attractive) on 2 sides and half the front. Wire mesh across the back for oxygen, and a screen in front which lifts out when I'm ready to screen the "black gold" for use in my garden.

You just need to dig a hole in the ground to bury kitchen waste.  The soil insects (not many worms here but a lot of other soil insects) will eat your stuff.  When the hole is full, wait a couple of weeks and plant something in it. Repeat.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:39 PM, Ferret said:

BINGO! Where's the recycling depot Mudgirl? I have been putting them out in a separate bag but it would be nice to have the option.

As far as I know there`s only one left, in Istlahuacan, unless Mudgirl knows of a closer one.

15 hours ago, nothernewbie said:

In Ajijic village the trash men source separate and, I assume, sell the recyclables. I m sure they would appreciate your putting the separated material out for them.

All the basuleros in the Chapala municipality pull recyclables out of the trash as they work, then on the way to dumping their trash in the municipal dump, they sell the recyclables in the yard in Istlahuacan (across the street from the membrillos booths on the east side of the carretera to Guad).

26 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

You just need to dig a hole in the ground to bury kitchen waste.  The soil insects (not many worms here but a lot of other soil insects) will eat your stuff.  When the hole is full, wait a couple of weeks and plant something in it. Repeat.

Yes, that is possible. In my case, my yard is already totally full of plants, no space to plant more. I love my compost bin- All yard clippings go in it, floor sweepings, dog hair, weeds I pull, in addition to the kitchen scraps. I even enjoy screening it once a year- I made a wooden frame with half inch wire mesh stapled to it, which fits on top on my wheelbarrow. I shovel it on, then use a garden hoe to scrape it back and forth across the screen, filtering out rocks, and whatever plant material hasn't fully broken down yet. What ends up in the wheelbarrow is gorgeous, light, fluffy compost soil- at least 10 costales full. I know most folks wouldn't find this satisfying, but gardening is my favorite activity.

And after 10 years of doing this, my compost bin and gardens are finally full of earthworms, of which there were none to be found on my property to start with.

the reason municipal officials get away with doing nothing is that people do not follow proper procedure.  - Written in spanish (Google Translate is fine among others)complaint to Delegado with stamped copy returned, copy with stamped copy returned to Presidente's office. They know that charges can be placed against officials who do not enforce the law-WHERE PROPER PROCEDURE IS FOLLOWED! Since very few do that , they just take a nap;)

Newsflash:  I just encountered the trash truck going down the east end of Guadalupe Victoria in Ajijic, so I took that opportunity to ask them - en espanyol, what is going on with the trash pickup schedule.  They affirmed that they are still coming every day, maybe just a little later than usual.  They were in a smaller truck.  

The trash pickup has been fairly consistent in this area.  Maybe Chapala took pity on us because we have the most noise and the most power outages of any neighborhood around here.

13 minutes ago, betty7 said:

saw truck as well. hard to say if it was the same garbage from yesterday or wensday. i try not to study the different colors of the bags, & how they are stacked. those trucks look need to be replaced (and dont take up a collection for this).

There have been 2 new trucks for several months now equipped with hydraulics.The rest of the fleet are older and break down once in a while  creating untold havoc according to some.

31 minutes ago, ezpz said:

Newsflash:  I just encountered the trash truck going down the east end of Guadalupe Victoria in Ajijic, so I took that opportunity to ask them - en espanyol, what is going on with the trash pickup schedule.  They affirmed that they are still coming every day, maybe just a little later than usual.  They were in a smaller truck.  

The trash pickup has been fairly consistent in this area.  Maybe Chapala took pity on us because we have the most noise and the most power outages of any neighborhood around here.

They read your posts re: noise and convinced CFE to create brown outs to abate  the noise somewhat on your behalf.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:15 PM, ned small said:

They read your posts re: noise and convinced CFE to create brown outs to abate  the noise somewhat on your behalf.

hahaha, unfortunately, the power outages have not affected the noisy bars and gyms as we saw last night.  Our power was out for 8 hours, just went back on.  Every time the wind blows now...

1 hour ago, bournemouth said:

AMacT - not this time.  We all paid on our street and usually get good service but when trucks go out, and there is a shortage of workers because of layoffs,  things go to hell in a handcart very quickly.

However, the payroll at city hall has increased 50 percent.  Where is the money going?  Not into the pockets of the people who actually do something.

16 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

However, the payroll at city hall has increased 50 percent.  Where is the money going?  Not into the pockets of the people who actually do something.

Here we go again. I'm sure that all of us would welcome you providing some factual figures maybe in the form of tables or even lists of personnel that allegedly received  increases in income. Even if it's an increase of employees or management factuals would be a breath of fresh air.

I don't need to provide anything and I seriously doubt anything that was provided would change the minds of the couple of apologists here.

The workers aren't on the streets, the trucks continue to fall apart yet the payroll in city hall was jacked up 50 percent.  That's the bottom line.  You seem so certain that there's no problem with this, you tell us where the money is going.

Good luck.

An interesting article came across my desk with regard to trash collection. 

"

They point out that it is in the Ajijic delegation that this situation is most present.

It is true that there is a serious problem of decomposing truck collectors and is one of the reasons why the problem of garbage collection has been compounded, said the director of Public Welfare , Juan Cuevas Gudiño and the Municipal President, Javier Degollado González, but Stressed that there is a strong problem of order especially in the so-called "Private" settlements." " Yes there is a problem, but the problem that has become more aggravated is Ajijic, there we are sending large trucks daily and some that has loaned us SIMAPA. The problem in Ajijic is the garbage left by the gardeners that is almost 40% of the total of the garbage, I think that if we stop collecting in the week that garbage and only collect from Monday to Friday the waste of the houses, we could be helping In improving harvesting, "said Juan Cuevas, Director of Public Welfare .

I translated it using chrome.

http://www.lavozdelaribera.com.mx/reconoce-comuna-problemas-en-recoleccion-de-basura-en-chapala/

Archived