Chapala.com Webboard

Trash Report from Municipal attorney and Ajijic Delegado

HarryB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The report came to me from Oscar Espana Ramos  to disperse to the expat community.

You need to find out from your delegado which three days you will be getting pickup. Call his office!

You need to NOT put out trash other days! Putting it on a phone pole hook does NOT relieve you from this obligation!

47 minutes ago, HarryB said:

The report came to me from Oscar Espana Ramos  to disperse to the expat community.

You need to find out from your delegado which three days you will be getting pickup. Call his office!

You need to NOT put out trash other days! Putting it on a phone pole hook does NOT relieve you from this obligation!

UHHMM... Harry, although I appreciate your efforts, there is something wrong with either the way the notice is written or with your interpretation.

It says picks up "every three days" (in Spanish and in English) and you say "which three days a week you will be getting pick up". Which is it please because there are only 7 days in a week? The notice has to spell out exactly which days. Every three days is ambiguous.

33 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Probably "Never on Sunday" and some will get M,W,F and others T,T,S or L,M,V and M,J, S if you prefer.

I already get Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So, I will ask again. To whom is the notification addressed? And why wouldn't it say "tres veces por semana" instead of "cada tres dias" ?

Colour me confused.

39 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Why do they consider a week to be 8 days?

Mexicans use the biblical method of day counting where you include the present day. I always wondered when I went to Saturday religious class that Jesus died on a Friday and arose Sunday, three days later.

When folks say it has always been that trash was picked up daily and that the city should do what they have always done, remember this.  The city used to pick up garbage only a couple of times per week and NO garbage was left out anywhere on the street.  The only trash picked up was what was brought to the truck when the bell ringer announced their arrival.  It was also required that all homes kept their sidewalk and street out to the middle clean every day.  Everybody swept and picked up in front of their own residences even if renting.  I don't see many gringos cleaning their street but I do see many not picking up after their dog, putting trash out at night, and not sorting the recyclables.  Everybody can help in small ways to make a big difference.  Why is that a conflict?  Alan

41 minutes ago, betty7 said:

jesus aside: what if monday is a holiday?

I am sorry Ms, but the number of days in a week in no way impacts a holiday on Monday. I do not understand your concern. 

Well, here at  the west end of Ajijic ,we were told  no collection unless we bring to the end of street and only on Saturday. It was our understanding trash would have to be brought to a corner if the truck had no way to turn around.  .A neighbor worked out a deal 10 years ago wherein they would ring a bell and we pay some pesos and voila !  Still no turn around but trash picked up.So this has worked for 10 years

8 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I am sorry Ms, but the number of days in a week in no way impacts a holiday on Monday. I do not understand your concern. 

Because if her days for pick up are Monday, Wednesday and Friday then, when Monday is a holiday, she won't get pick up on that day.

4 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Because if her days for pick up are Monday, Wednesday and Friday then, when Monday is a holiday, she won't get pick up on that day.

They have always come on  holidays before - is that changing too?  They usually pick up in the commercial section of Ajijic on Sundays as well.  Until recently pickup has been amazingly good, probably too good.

Can they post a schedule for each neighborhood online, in the papers? If we are going from everyday to specific days, we would  be prepared for the new schedule and not be disappointed if there is no pick up. Information is key.

51 minutes ago, ajijicbound said:

Can they post a schedule for each neighborhood online, in the papers? If we are going from everyday to specific days, we would  be prepared for the new schedule and not be disappointed if there is no pick up. Information is key.

OK, you decide for yourself but if it were me I would watch what my Mexican neighbors did, and I love them dearly. If they put their trash out on Monday......... I would be 90% sure Tuesday would be the right day. Days, schedules, time is just not their strong suit.

I have zero "stinky garbage". While I realize that if people live in an apartment with no yard, it would not be feasible for them, anyone with property can easily compost the kitchen waste, along with yard waste, etc. Even floor sweepings, which just consist of dirt and dog hair, go in the compost.  I have a proper bin, with 2 separated sides, built with red brick (it's actually quite attractive) on 2 sides and half the front. Wire mesh across the back for oxygen, and a screen in front which lifts out when I'm ready to screen the "black gold" for use in my garden.

When I put fresh kitchen scraps in, I use a shovel or garden fork to dig a hole in the pile and bury it. It doesn't attract critters. Meat and fish scraps go into a plastic bag in the freezer, which I then put in the garbage bag when ready to collect.

Paper gets burned. Plastic, cardboard, tin, aluminum and glass go to recycle.

I literally end up with one recycled grocery size plastic bag full of actual garbage a week.

3 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

And on the 7th day do you rest?

Was this in response to my post above yours on how to reduce garbage? If so, you are way off the mark.

It takes me 5 minutes once a week to dig a hole in the compost pile to accommodate a week's worth of kitchen scraps, which go in a lidded pail under the kitchen sink.

Maybe 3 minutes a week to walk the dustpan to the compost bin and dump it in.

Recyclables go into a box in my broom closet , which is also in the kitchen, until it is full, then I drop it off at the recycling depot, maybe once a month, on the way to do a host of other things.

1 second to take the bag of frozen meat scraps out of the freezer to throw in the garbage on garbage day.

1 day, once a year, to  screen the compost and spread it on my gardens, or put in bags to fill pots. Have never had to buy potting soil or bags of compost mixes.

Personally I don't find it an onerous amount of time. Sometimes doing the right thing isn't as convenient as doing nothing.

3 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Sometimes doing the right thing isn't as convenient as doing nothing.

BINGO! Where's the recycling depot Mudgirl? I have been putting them out in a separate bag but it would be nice to have the option.

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

BINGO! Where's the recycling depot Mudgirl? I have been putting them out in a separate bag but it would be nice to have the option.

In Ajijic village the trash men source separate and, I assume, sell the recyclables. I m sure they would appreciate your putting the separated material out for them.

Can now only speak for the trash guys in PV. They seem to spend/waste a lot of time going through the trash looking for"good stuff" rather than recycles. If they just picked up the trash things would move much quicker.

No supervision.

Archived