Chapala.com Webboard

Gas refrigerators

I have never seen them sold here. I have googled and they are available. Also special friges also designed for solar. I believe in the concept. If you find a supplier here please post. All RVs have the gas and electric combined. Way costly and expensive to repair.  

I think you'll find the best alternative is to buy a more efficient electric fridge.  If you stay out of DAC I think you'll find it will be cheaper to run.  Propane is pretty expensive here, actually.

I had propane fridges in my RVs.  They were not very efficient and had a hard time getting cold enough.

Drying and water heating for sure propane. Refri is much more efficient on electric unless you are in the DAC rate as MC said and I agree my propane fridge never really got cold enough but maybe they're better now.

I had a propane fridge at my cabin up north for many years as there was no electricity and it wasn't near as effective as an electric one.

I think that the 'only' gas/propane frig that can compare to electric regards 'effectiveness' and durability is a Servel and that may either not be available in Mexico or be hard to maintain.  I've had RV frig's for years and they are temperamental at best.

For the Servel see:   https://www.thenaturalhome.com/servel400.php

Lighting a propane fire and expecting it to get cold has always been a challenge, but it does work......sort of.  An electric motor driving a compressor is much more effective, though.

On 6/14/2017 at 8:40 AM, vtarasov said:

Please direct me if this topic has been already discussed: does anyone have a gas refrigerator here in Chapala? Since propane seems a lot cheaper than gas it would make sense to use one. Opinions and experience appreciated!

On 6/14/2017 at 4:22 PM, vtarasov said:

Gas as in natural gas or propane - these are usually interchangeable with a conversion kit.

Natural gas is not available at Lakeside at any price so there is really no comparing the two.

I've used a full-size propane fridge while in the Kalahari Transfrontier Park during both summer and winter in the desert of South Africa. It is nowhere near as efficient as an electric fridge. An alternative might be to consider solar power?  We recently installed 8 solar panels, and I have a huge stainless fridge that is probably about 5 years old, not the best nor the worst, and in a warm kitchen.

I can hear the fridge running quite a bit, and with that going as well as a floor fan, all night, assorted LED lights, a substantial irrigation system (pumps use a lot of energy) and household gadgets and gizmos like microwave, toaster oven, washing machine, and coffee pot, I am using less than 4kWh a day, or 120 a month. My 8 panels are producing an average of more than 10 kWh per day....which means an excess of 8 kWh a day (which is why I am installing a minisplit ac in the bedroom, to use up that excess power, yippee!). Therefore, you could probably get by with fewer than 8 panels if you installed solar.

Another thing to consider is a new fridge, European style, which is about 3/4 the size of the big bulky units we are used to in the US. Or, a fridge with the freezer at the bottom, those are the most energy efficient.

Archived