Chapala.com Webboard

Can I use my smart phone with MTelCel Mexican Sim card in the US

I use mine in the US and Canada, but as little as possible, because I have a land line up here and the Telcel Amigo Plan I have is very expensive, There are plans that are available from Telcel that make it much more economical to use when out of the country. Right now in Seattle, when I turn my iPhone on, it shows T-Mobile as the carrier I am connected to.

This may apply to you.... earlier this year I had a pre-paid TelCel SIM card in my Motorola. Worked fine in N. Laredo but when I crossed the river into Laredo it went...... dead! No service. Changed my SIM to a US carrier on the spot and, voila, I had cell service.

Yes, you can use a Mexican SIM card in the US but it seems you must be on a plan rather than minutes.   At least that's how it seemed to me with a TelCel minute card.  Now I have AT&T plan from here, Ajijic, and works fine.  Some stuff to remember to tell your friends up north on how to dial you when you're up there 'tho. 

I was in Laredo; same thing... kept getting a Spanish long-distance operator when I tried to call here. A friend was in California and called her no problem. We both have the same "plan", not minutes. Going up to Canada soon; will know more then, but have already made plans for a phone that is local there, just in case.

All I know is that I go up north 3 times per year and my Telcel Amigo Plan always allows me to call local numbers and that I also receive calls from Mexico thereon. I have been doing this for at least 7 years. Once I was in the states I checked for messages and Telcel sent me a message on the same day saying

Bienvenido. Tarifas Roaming min $3.00; MB $3.00; SMS $3.00 (IVA included)  So my roaming charges are 3 pesos per minute or at 18 to 1 about 17 cents per minute.

Not only do I pay 3 pesos per minute when I make a call but also when I receive one.

As I posted earlier Telcel has international plans where one pays much less

Yes, you are so right Bournemouth. And I keep on saying make the change Pete, and I never do. What I did not know was that I could make free calls, I just thought I would be charged less. Thanks for the recommendation.

If you experience a problem with your phone when entering the USA .. turn the phone off and back on.... It will then connect correctly. There is a prepaid plan with Telcel that will work for sin fronteras. It was $150 for 25 days, unlimited calls and texts to USA Canada Mexico and whats app.  That price was 4 months ago it might have changed..

The $199 plan will do the same thing, but you need a contract and pay monthly.

To dial calls to Mexico USA Canada it is easy if the number is in your address book on the phone. Just use the usual process. I have never had a problem.

The Telcel 199 plan with unlimited text and talk works fine, BUT you must dial 001 + Area code + number in the US to connect. Check with Anne Maria @ Telcel on Juan Alvarez about calling US cells in the US there might be another prefix.  The Data side works fine as long as you've got Roaming On and don't go too crazy. I used Google Maps all over the NE and Canada for navigation, no problem and no extra charges. ymmv

Archived