Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala gvt is cash strpped and has been laying of workers.

Not really Betty.  Again, this is not about politics, it is about paying for services not received.  Anyone who pays any attention to Mexican politics, however, probably knows the current Chapala government is of the same faction that seems to feature quite regularly and prominently in the numerous reports these days about the theft of public monies and non delivery of services that tax payers have paid for.

Until and unless the Mexican community gets fed up with this state of affairs, however, the looting is going to continue here and elsewhere in Mexico.

I'll see you later, I have to go take my once again not picked up trash in or it will be all over the street in the morning.  Thanks, Chapala.

3 hours ago, dave0415 said:

Nor sure how you relate transitos to crime. Crime is looked after by the town/village police and transitos enforce traffic regulations.

It was a joke a about mordidas (traffic bribes).

51 minutes ago, bmh said:

Transitos work for the State so neither Joco or Chapla municipality can lay off transitos.. 

There are no transitos in joco now for 3 months.  I do not know the chain of money, but Joco is not paying. 

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

A discussion about a municipality that claims to be broke while the payroll has increased 50 percent and the trash is piling up isn't about politics.any more than a discussion about a restaurant that takes your money and gives you a bad meal.

Both are rip offs.  65 percent of the local tax collection, the majority of the income for this entire municipio comes from Ajijic.  We are not getting what we are paying these people for.  It is nearly 7:30PM, this is supposed to be trash pickup day in my neighborhood.  All our trash is sitting out front uncollected--again.  Of course the trash that people don't take back in will be scattered all over the neighborhood in the morning.  This is inexcusable!

In 9 years, we've never had this situation, never!

And the "news" paper needs to spend more time exposing same and focusing on local affairs and less time and space presenting a very biased view of U.S. politics that have little, if any relevance, to local affairs.  Like for example the very telling revelations that this thread is discussing.  Let's hope they keep it up because for certain a lot of light needs to be shined on the Chapala municipal government!

You keep saying over and over that the majority of income for the municipo of Chapala comes from Ajijic. Back it up with some proof once and for all.

Our street light in Ajiji chas been out since May24th of May.  I called on the morning of the 25th of May before I left on vcation.  Surprise,! surprise.! It was still out when I returned on the 7th of June. 

My neighbor went over to the delegado office on the the 10th of June and was told it would be on over the weekend.  They didn't say which one.

The Guadalajara Reporter is not an investigative newspaper; it exists to provide news, whatever it can find that is relevant to locals, and since this community is largely made up of expats, then politics from up north certainly has a bearing. I must add that most of that involves the potential affects on Mexico, and that the percentage of space is minimal compared to local news. If one does not agree with its style, one does not have to read it. I submit that there are many people here who use it more for the obits, the letters to the editor, and the movie listings as much as anything else. And I for one am glad to have an English-language paper of any kind.

I also point out that those who work for the paper, and live at lakeside, live at lakeside and have no great desire to be hunted, scorned or ridiculed for either reporting too much or not reporting enough.

2 hours ago, ned small said:

You keep saying over and over that the majority of income for the municipo of Chapala comes from Ajijic. Back it up with some proof once and for all.

It comes from a reliable source and was determined several years ago before the latest property tax hike.  I've sent an email requesting the derivation and will post it here when I get it.

Why don't you drop by and we'll take a walk around here so you can see our Chapala government not at work first hand.  Since the rather amazing statistic of a 50 percent increase in the payroll while the trash piles up doesn't seem to compute perhaps actually seeing the trash piled up and scattered will.  

Don't bring your bike though because you might very well break it on one of the many pot holes.  This is strictly GS territory these days. :)

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

As soon as you discuss the relative merits or lack thereof of local government, you are talking politics.

The failure to deliver services integral to public health is a valid topic on this board and a vital one for this community.  Your objection has been noted and rejected.  It is not necessary to repeat it over and over again.  As you have been told on numerous occasions, if you have a complaint take it to another moderator or admin.

I notice Chapala, who is the owner of this board, and the company that supports his family legacy, has finally taken some interest in what has become a dark corner of the internet. Maybe he will act accordingly. STOP THE BLEEDING!

We didn't have trash pickup Mon. or yesterday (central Ajijic).

I did get a good laugh at this:  yesterday afternoon flyers were put on gates on our street from the Gobierno reminding everyone how to properly put out their trash (in the morning, etc.).  

Talk about adding insult to injury!

9 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It comes from a reliable source and was determined several years ago before the latest property tax hike.  I've sent an email requesting the derivation and will post it here when I get it.

Why don't you drop by and we'll take a walk around here so you can see our Chapala government not at work first hand.  Since the rather amazing statistic of a 50 percent increase in the payroll while the trash piles up doesn't seem to compute perhaps actually seeing the trash piled up and scattered will.  

Don't bring your bike though because you might very well break it on one of the many pot holes.  This is strictly GS territory these days. :)

You are also one who constantly confuses me,ned small,with another person.  I  have no bike,not even a bicycle but I am contemplating buying a car and a house sometime soon. Unlike the other person,I have no intention of meeting any of you after hearing his stories.

While we wait for your "proof" why  don't you contemplate the difference in populations between Ajijic and the town of Chapala and which one has more industry and large retailers and for that matter more commercial properties paying taxes,business as well as property.

10 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

Your objection has been noted and rejected.  It is not necessary to repeat it over and over again.  As you have been told on numerous occasions, if you have a complaint take it to another moderator or admin.

Maybe it should be taken to the I.N.M.

To answer your question, I am told a prominent Mexican local attorney is digging and forcing this information out of City Hall.  He is one of a group of similar local Mexicans who have had quite enough of Chapala City Hall and are marshaling resources to try and effect real change.  We can only sit on the sidelines and watch.

Property tax base is not about population it is about the value of the installed real estate base.  I have no idea what area on either side of Ajijic Centro is involved but all one would have to do is to drive around both communities and it becomes apparent that just one neighborhood here, Las Salvias, probably has more high end, and hence high tax assessment, residential property than all of Chapala.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same source discovered the payroll padding and leaked the information to The Reporter.  From what I understand, this is just the beginning.

12 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

Our street light in Ajiji chas been out since May24th of May.  I called on the morning of the 25th of May before I left on vcation.  Surprise,! surprise.! It was still out when I returned on the 7th of June. 

My neighbor went over to the delegado office on the the 10th of June and was told it would be on over the weekend.  They didn't say which one.

The street light in front of my friend´s house has been out for a few years and we have been waiting for the workers to replace the bulb since.  So once a year we get together and have an anniversary party in the street under the blown light.  Lot of fun.  

Mexicans don´t like this stuff either, but they seem to get by without the stress.  Sort of like making lemonade out of lemons.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

To answer your question, I am told a prominent Mexican local attorney is digging and forcing this information out of City Hall.  He is one of a group of similar local Mexicans who have had quite enough of Chapala City Hall and are marshaling resources to try and effect real change.  We can only sit on the sidelines and watch.

Property tax base is not about population it is about the value of the installed real estate base.  I have no idea what area on either side of Ajijic Centro is involved but all one would have to do is to drive around both communities and it becomes apparent that just one neighborhood here, Las Salvias, probably has more high end, and hence high tax assessment, residential property than all of Chapala.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same source discovered the payroll padding and leaked the information to The Reporter.  From what I understand, this is just the beginning.

So there is no proof and read what I said again about what I suggested you contemplate about the difference re: "property and business taxes". Oh and why don't you take a look at the "many" "high end" residential properties in Chapala with as many as 4-6 houses,one family, on them, each bigger than yours. Las Salvias can compare???? You also conveniently are forgetting commercial properties and yes population is a factor,the greater the pop. the more  housing to tax. How many factories and large commercial buildings in Ajijic to be taxed?

Not sure what you would call proof but I'm satisfied the source and analysis is good.  As I understand it these are all local taxes including property, fees, whatever collected and spent by the municipio.

Believe what you want to believe.  I believe my eyes. 

BTW did you find the saddlebag for your moto?  I really do hope so. :)

50 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Not sure what you would call proof but I'm satisfied the source and analysis is good.  As I understand it these are all local taxes including property, fees, whatever collected and spent by the municipio.

Believe what you want to believe.  I believe my eyes. 

BTW did you find the saddlebag for your moto?  I really do hope so. :)

You show no analysis of the difference and you site a nebulous source at best not even related to tax figures. Your eyes are not open when going through Chapala or common sense alone based on infrastructure would tell you the contrary  to what you constantly repeat with no empirical evidence.Can you even produce a table? I have no moto nor bags but my friend who's name I am not allowed to mention has 1 missing . I will pass on your best wishes to him.

And you have even less to support your point of view.  Common sense tells me that the hundreds of high dollar homes here make up a very considerable tax base.  But It isn't my analysis and I don't have to defend it.  

Having been involved in real estate up north it makes sense and fits with what my eyes see.  YMMV.

As I said, believe what you want to believe and it is also your free choice to defend a government that has jacked up its payroll 50 percent while it can't manage to pick up the trash.  And on top of laying off a few people who actually work there, they are screwing them out of their lawfully due severances.  How crappy is that?

Arguing over which area pays the most taxes simply evades the reality that the entire municipio is being screwed by this bunch.  I am at least heartened to know that some seriously competent and successful Mexicans have had enough of it and are really committed to regime change.

Because that is the only solution for this problem.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, betty7 said:

many people agree w/me about GR. that is why the posts get "likes" naive to think they are not self serving. to find out about the legal system in mex, dont count on GR. as for discriptions about some expats? not too much different than other comments in the past. the city hall is corrupt, doesnt do a anything for ajijic. now THAT is fact. i stand by what i say. i wrote this @ same time MC was writting. great minds think alike. my style is a tad more edgy. ;)

Mexico News Daily

Mexico News Daily's profile photoDoes anyone read this? To my mind it is very fair reporting. Since I cannot read a Spanish publication, this works well for me. BUT it is unnerving to read about all the killing and corruption in the other parts of Mexico. Sometimes makes me feel as if I am on an island that is not well protected.
publisher@mexiconewsdaily.com

There is a vid right now on the Chapala Gov't  facebook page of an arroyo that runs under a roadway somewhere around here that would be far more important than some potholes and a bit of garbage on the street. It's called budgeting priorities,especially with the rainy season coming and the possibility of your car being washed away if you're driving over that bridge.

Archived